Going to LA!

Old 03-07-2007, 10:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
turning red!

Going to LA!

Hello friends,

SORRY i use SR as my travel agent today! I feel a (bit) ashamed!
Anyway, it's part of the "taking care of myself" plan so it's half-forgiven, isn't it?

So, i'm going to California for holidays in April, for 10 days, with my best friend. We will go to LA & SF and have rented a car in both locations. Can't wait to be there!
Does any of you know a good hotel, not too expensive, in LA? Anyone's been there?
In SF we will stay at my friend's brother's, so it's ok there.
My budget is quite tight, as you'd imagine, living with an addict is not cheap!

Besides that, things are doing ok at the moment. Rain is supposed to go to the clinic today to see a doctor and get back to methadone. Time will tell. I'm just thinking of my holidays coming up...

Thanks!
Carine
Old 03-07-2007, 10:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
President

I'm all the way on the other side of the country, and haven't ever visited California, but it sounds really fun!!!! I could use a vacation!
Old 03-07-2007, 10:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Or However You Spell It....

Hey Funky!! Frankie-B lives around that area!! You should get in touch with her. I know she wants to meet you!!
Old 03-07-2007, 10:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Funkzter... you are such the jet-setter! I love having things to look forward to when other stuff is kinda rough... good for you!

I haven't ever been to CA... so I wouldn't know. But I would think with having such a time to plan, you could get on hotwire or expedia or something like that and find a real steal... good luck!
Old 03-07-2007, 11:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

I live here! Contact me when you're here if you wanna meet up for coffee (even though we don't know each other!)

Anyway, what's your price range? The Standard Downtown is pretty cool, I think it's not too pricey for a normal room....Or there's some cool places in Hollywood (Standard on Sunset, the Chamberlain), but probably a little pricier.

Some other good ones for you could be The Farmers Daughter hotel, near Hollywood and Farmers Market...Just redone, but 180 a night. Oh yeah, I stayed at the Beverly Terrace hotel on the border of West Hollywood and Bev Hills...loved it! Boutiquey, it was 170 a night. West Hollywood is boy's town just FYI, but very clean and nice.

Or if you want the beach there's stuff in Santa Monica, Venice or Manhattan Beach. Don't know any lower cost great ones on the beach off the top of my head. There's a cool boutiquey one called the Belamar in Manhattan Beach but it looks expensive. (Obviously I like small boutique hotels). There's also plenty of chain hotels off the beach that I'm sure are just fine and maybe like 120 a night.

You could PM me with the ones you are finding and I could tell you about them. Just don't stay in a hotel near LAX on Century Blvd!!! Horrible!!

Abbott Kinney Blvd in Venice is a great street with funky shops and restaurants. La Brea Blvd on the way to Hollywood is getting some great shops. Melrose has a huge range of shops, from crazy clubbing clothes to super high end boutiques.

Have fun!!!
Old 03-07-2007, 11:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
turning red!

Thanks girls
What are you all doing up at this time hum??? Time 4 bed naughty girls!
Love, i definitely will arrange to meet Frankie for a cup of coffee while in SF, it's planned, can't wait!
Trying, thx i'll check expedia & hotwire. And you're right, i do quite lots of travelling, especially the coming 2 months i'll go to Paris (for work) for 10 days, then 3 days back in HK & then 10 days in US! The more you travel, the more your travel (for instance i got my ticket to US free because of the miles from past flights!Yeaaaahhhh)
Ok now i'm getting excited!
Old 03-07-2007, 11:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

we were posting at the same time! haha!
Old 03-07-2007, 11:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
turning red!

Thanks luvserenity! I'll check and i'll definitely come back to you! Cool you live there maybe we can arrange some coffee with my friends or drinkie
I'll contact you
Old 03-07-2007, 11:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Sounds good! I just checked and the Standard Downtown has "cheap" rooms (they call them that, lol!) at $125 a night. Probably the cheapest out of everthing I listed...but not sure on your destinations, and if you want to drive to the beach every day that may not be the best choice for you. But it's funky and fun, and Sundays are great on the rooftop

lemme know when you're here!
Old 03-08-2007, 04:49 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
grateful rca

good for you, you deserve a break. i pray that rain follow through, saying a little prayer for you too
Old 03-08-2007, 03:34 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Carine~ i wish i could fly out there and meet up with you but it's finals

but i was in LA last May and it was amazing. i stayed with friend who actually just moved to San. Fran.

Anyway you have to Walk down and see hollywood blvd. Rodeo ride. you should go to santa monia pier and there is this great mexican resturant right on the pier called Maria's I think. it's cool because the staff walk around and play the guitar while you eat.

You should visit Roscoe's Chicken and waffle joint. it's interesting and small people rave about it. (i enjoyed it)

You should definetly walk around the Promonte.

I walked around UCLA campus beautiful.

Oh godus, i wish i remember the name of this resturant but it was tai food and this man from thailand impersonates Elvis... it was so good because he sounded amazing.

we also went ans saw the LA angel station for a game.

oh my god! you are only an hour or two drive away from Las Vegas!! you should definetly take a day and see it. rooms can be very cheap there i stayed at the excalibur and i thinkit was about $100!!! You have the car. you'll get to see the vast desert which i found amazing and beautiful.

Man i wish i knew how to post some picutres for you. (i'll try) i had an amazing time and a great friend as a tour guide.
Old 03-08-2007, 04:25 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
grateful rca

i want to go to ca too, sounds like youre gonna have fun funkzter
Old 03-08-2007, 05:34 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Carine,
Another site you might want to try is hotels.com I think they show some of the hotels, or try priceline.com I did that for a car and got it cheaper than anyother site. You can ask for fixed rates. I also wish I was near CA and could meet up with you.
Enjoy your planning.
Old 03-08-2007, 07:54 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
turning red!

Thanks my friends, i do enjoy my planning!
Yesterday i bought the lonely planet & found quite new place to stay
the more i think about my up-coming trip, the more i can't concentrate at work, hehe!
Polly: waiting for pictures here! (you gotta figure it out after that long in SR, lol)
Hugs
Carine
Old 03-09-2007, 06:33 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Living in the light

Hey Funky girl! I'm so happy you are getting your plans for your trip together.
I don't know much about where to stay in LA but am certain you and friend will have a super time.
It will be soooooooo great to see you when you get to northern California.
San Francisco is fabulous....you'll love it. We will have loads to enjoy together.
Just leave all cares behind. Woooohooooo
Hugs
Old 03-09-2007, 06:58 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Get Caught Reading

((((((carine))))))

You are such a
Jealous? You bet. Have a great time planning your trip, and enjoy
your stay in LA.
Take lots of pics, or just take me with you. I could carry your bags. lol
You deserve this, sweetie.
Love,
Linda
Old 03-11-2007, 01:46 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
turning red!

((Frankie)) i was wondering where you've been~! didn't see you around much? Hope you're fine & we'll keep us updated until the trip is finally here

((Linda)) ahahaha silly girl! I don't need someone to carry my luggage, it has wheels, sorry! lol
And honnestly i don't know if it's really serious to do this trip as this month i'm completely broke but i'm thinking: this is an opportunity i can't miss and we only live once...

Hugs!
Carine
Old 03-11-2007, 04:47 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
rozied

I am so happy for you..................great part of your own recovery this taking care of yourself. I hope you have a fantastic time. I have lived in the USa since I was born & haven't gotten there yet.
That a way to go girl!!!
Love,
Diane