Notices

Help and advice

Old 03-05-2007, 02:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Help and advice

i, I'm new here and just hitting the point where I need positive reinforcement. I quit drinking last week for 6 days but I went off the wagon this weekend and now my old problems are back. I'm a drinker to curb my anxiety and panic attacks, but mostly they come in the morning from being hungover and I'm a "hair of the dog" person and those days ususally turn into the thing that causes most of my problems. I also have been experiencing tingling in my legs when I walk (alcoholic neuropathy??? anyone else had this???). I'm a very active hiker person with 5 dogs and love being outdoors but I don't do anything without booze anymore. So, that's my brain dump and I just hope that I can find someone who will tell me that they have been thru this and that I might just live thru this. Thanks in advance for answering.
Alicia
Old 03-05-2007, 02:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Alicia,

Alcohol definitely takes a toll on our bodies and the longer we drink, the worse it is.

I suggest you talk to your dr about your medical concerns. Also you might want to talk to your dr about your anxiety/panic attacks because it is possible that some type of medication might help you. Of course, it is also possible that the anxiety is caused by the alcohol abuse.
Old 03-05-2007, 02:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Alicia and welcome to SR.

Your situation sounds similar to what I have been doing the past three years, something I have only recently (today is Day 15 sober for me) been able to shake.

I tell you honestly, I wouldn't have been able to stop drinking without medical help. I was a wreck. I was worried I would never fall asleep without a drink, and in the morning I either drank something to ease my nerves or took Percocets (I got off the pain-killers back in December).

Don't be afraid to seek help from your doctor...if you have an anxiety disorder, like I do, alcohol is a very destructive and totally temporary way of medicating it. There's alot better ways of coping with anxiety...and there's some helpful meds, if you need em.

This is just my personal experience...I hope you continue to post...and that you can break that awful cycle that plenty of people here, are more then familiar with.

Schwa
Old 03-05-2007, 03:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi alicia!!
Welcome to SR
Old 03-05-2007, 03:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Alicia and welcome to SR.

Here you will find great support, great information about addiction, and find wonderful friends.

Keep posting!
Old 03-05-2007, 03:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome! Today is my second day without booze. I just cant take the depression and anxiety it has been causing me. I, to was having panic attacks and quit drinking for three months. Man, I felt like a million bucks!
I have relapsed since then but am trying to get better again. Life isn't worth living for me when I am stuck in my disease. I have lots to live for, a great husband, two beautiful kids, but the booze steals all happiness from me. Good luck to you!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-05-2007, 04:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Hope3

welcome akpetqueen, I'm a hiker to, adirondack moutains in NY.

anyway, best bet is to have your doctor check you out....

What have you learned about your addiction so far?

Hugs, ((((((((((hope3)))))))))))