My little piece of peace

Old 03-05-2007, 11:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My little piece of peace

Good Monday Afternoon everyone.
Over the past year and a half Ive been trying to get to know me and my interests. Ive developed a aquarium hobby, whichh really isnt a surprise since as a child I loved to play with slimy creepy things.

I have 3 young boys so Im also developing their interests in pets. Ive had a 55 gallon aquarium for almost a year now and a smaller one with 2 turtles. This weekend I upgraded my turtle tank to a large 90 gallon aquarium, complete with a homemade waterfall. Its beautiful.

Right now if you sit in my livingroom its like a freshwater seaworld. You hear water splashing everywhere. Its a truly relaxing place. Even my son will tell you its like watching tv with the tv off.

My kids are following suit and their room has 2 terrariums, 1 with Firebelly toads and the other with a lizzard and hatchling box turtles.

We spend our time, especially the stressful moments relaxing before our aquatic and semi aquatic friends, it is truly relaxing. (and provides me with small environments I can control)

I just thought Id share my little bit of peace
Old 03-05-2007, 11:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

How cool! I love creepy crawly's. I dont do spiders, but love snakes, frogs, fish, and lizards. Even if only through a glass aqaurium! LOL. I have two girls that were all frills and lace, but I have a 2 yo boy who I cant wait to see what he brings me in his gruby hands. Im hoping I will get a toad like off of Ol Yeller! How relaxing Cinder.
Old 03-05-2007, 11:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Gwen , the firebelly toads are really cool.
(The only drawback is dropping in live crickets) The crickets are soon gone and you have this little green frog with a red belly starring at you.
They sing at night too, it sounds like your outside under the stars.
Old 03-05-2007, 11:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Just plainly tired

Thats sounds so beautiful!!! Thank you for sharing that with us.

Hugs,
jewel
Old 03-05-2007, 11:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Practicing the lion's roar

Wow, that sounds really cool. I used to work with a guy whose cubicle looked like Marineland, with all sorts of aquariums. My favorite critter was the African Dwarf Frog. Too cute!!
Old 03-05-2007, 11:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Oh SO SO COOL! We have what us Missourians call peeper frogs. These are just little green frogs that are the 1st signs of spring. The 1st time you here them there has to be 3 hard frost before Sping is truly here. Well I heard them Thursday morning before going into work at 5:30am and I just stood listening for a bit. I comented on it to almost everyone who came into the store that morning. You know, I think over 50% said they never paid attention. Some are just too busy to pay attention to the finer things of life.
Old 03-05-2007, 11:38 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

When my girls were young, we had an aquarium with crawfish. Male & Female. The girls really enjoyed watching the female carrying the eggs & watch the little crawfish hatch. The "dad" didn't get to watch - we learned the female kills the male after mating. oops.

Also, learned that when the crawfish splashes water on the Retriever that a Large dog's nose can break the glass on an aquarium. oops again.

That was a lot of water to clean up. Those girls giggled about that for days!!

Who says girls can't be adventurous? I still think they may have encouraged some of that disaster. But no proof, no crime - right?

Over 10 yrs ago, but I can still see the look on their faces - Priceless.

Thanks,
Rita
Old 03-05-2007, 11:39 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Every Spring I get these little tree frogs that like to paste themselves on my back kitchen door. They have babies I think around our porch. Last year I had 4 tree frogs that came back every night and would wait for me to come out and pet the sides of their heads. And no I didnt get warts!lol It was always the same 4 on the kitchen door waiting.
Old 03-05-2007, 12:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Its proven also that aquariums have a very calming effect and can actually lower blood pressure. I had a 60 Gal aquarium with 1 fish yep one little fish. Another lesson learned it was too agressive to put other fish in. I thought it meant I could put other agressive fish in guess not. If I was upset I would pull up a chair and watch my fish and feel calmness. Actually I might look into getting another one. I had to give mine away about 4yrs ago and can you believe that ONE fish is still alive going on 7yrs I think. Jack Dempsey I believe pretty fish but mean as all get out. So calmness is just what the Dr ordered.
Old 03-05-2007, 12:15 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Also, learned that when the crawfish splashes water on the Retriever that a Large dog's nose can break the glass on an aquarium. oops again.
Thanks for that lesson, I hope mine doesnt break. My 5 year old wants a crawfish.
Watching the turtle swim deep into his tank to chase a shrimp and then he stopss to see you through the glass is amazing. Turtles are smart, and personable. They recognize who feeds them and will even beg for food. (I never would have imagined.)

I used to love those little green tree frogs. We once got a bucket of toys that had three. We got 2 out of the house and later found one living in our bathroom. "Kermit" lived in our sink drain for almost a year.

Jack Dempseys, sure can get feisty. I have community fish, some large some small. I like droping in treats (algae pellets) and watching them all fight over it when the stronger one gets it and swims off with it its like watching fish football.

My aquariums have so helped bring peace to a life filled with drama and when things are tough caring for them is a great way to keep your mind busy. My boys were sorta squeamish. I had to push the issues, but that has changed now and my 9 year old likes getting books and learning all about our pets.
Old 03-05-2007, 12:16 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

My Ah has an aquarium hobby too. He has a 55 gallon tank that we had lots of guppies, some mollies, angelfish, placosamus, catfish, and some little orange neon fish (but I can't remember what they are called). He recently acquired a second 55 gallon tank (and it had all it needed to get it up and running except for a $6 part). So we just put some of the fish from the one tank into that tank. We got two snails and 4 ghost shrimp yesterday and added to the second tank. I think they help him find peace too. He says when he's feeling especially stressed, he likes to just sit and watch them. I have to admit this has grown on me too. Although, I'm more of a dog person.
Old 03-05-2007, 12:19 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Cinders thats funny "Jack" would come up to the top and beg for food everytime I walked by. I would get a think of freeze dried worms and stick them to the side and watch him come and grab them. When I would have other fish they would fight over it but I think we all knew who would win "JACK"!!!!
Old 03-05-2007, 12:22 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

KJ, Dempseys can live up to 12 years and 7 inches.

I sware some fish are more long time family members than our furry friends. My dogs and cats always help out too. The cat likes to dump the food in (not good) and more than once has fallen in with the turtles. My dog likes to steal the hose and spill water when Im changing the water, so there's some chaos, but the fun kind.

So many nights Ive laid on the couch starring at the fish and listening the the sounds of the running water...it sure beats pacing the floor and you drift off into the deepest sleep.
Old 03-05-2007, 12:24 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

Until recently had no idea turtles were so personable. A member of my home group has had one for a pet for over 20 yrs - sleeps in her bed like a little puppy. Has been a great comfort to her in the last year with losing her spouse & now dealing with her adult son's addiction issues.

So not only are turtles cool like in Finding Nemo - they are apparently great comforters just like stuff animals. - Who knew??

Learn something new every day,
See ya,
Rita
Old 03-05-2007, 12:56 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Timmy (my son) just started at a new school this morning. They had an aquarium with a lizard in it in the reception lobby - if he could pay as much attention to the teacher as he did to that lizard waiting to see him eat a cricket!
Old 03-05-2007, 01:09 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

My psychology teacher always said grade school isnt meant for little boys they dont know how to sit still lol. well hopefully the new school will be good for him. If the teachers can hold their attention they would do great!!! I dont envy grade school or high school teachers.
Old 03-05-2007, 04:31 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

You now know how to aprreciate the small things in life--to stop and smell the roses....good for you--sounds like fun-an lots of work to--I don't know what I would do without my dog or my gardening to clear my mind....thanks for sharing
Old 03-05-2007, 06:38 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

cinderella you crack me up!! You can keep the creepy crawly things with you, I will stick with my little yorkie
Old 03-05-2007, 09:31 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Royalty

We have the goldfish that my youngest son won at the fair, 6 months now! I thought those were supposed to die after a week!

And the cost of that 1 dollar game, $65 dollars worth of fish supplies....gravel,light,tank,plants,food,pump,fil ters.....that fish better live to be 100!
Old 03-06-2007, 06:17 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Im glad your taking care of that goldfish properly and it sounds like it. Most people leave them in little bowls, poison them by not changing the water and they die.

BTW, most goldfish can grow to 12 inches.