OT/ I messed up my interview

Old 03-02-2007, 03:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Becoming a Butterfly

OT/ I messed up my interview

I had an interview. I didn't post anything about it cause I didn't want to jinx myself. The job was perfect and they were excited about me - that was until they met me. I froze and couldn't answer three vital questions at the interview. I feel really stupid and I let myself down.

I tried to salvage it with a good thank you email the day after, but I just saw they listed the job again today. I was waiting a long time for this opportunity and to mess it up because of me - the only part I can control - it's so disheartening. I really thought this was going to be the end of the hard time. Now I'm back to the job listings again. *sigh*
Old 03-02-2007, 03:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

awwww wantsout.....i'm sorry, hon. you will do wonderful on the next one....probably just the jitters....or it may be your higher powers way of saying....nope, not this one babe...i've got something better down the line for you.

i strongly believe that everything happens for a reason. you just take a deep breath and don't you feel badly. it all happened just like it was supposed to happen....imo.
Old 03-02-2007, 03:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Becoming a Butterfly

Well so far my HP is a real pain in the neck

Hurry up already you kooky HP, you! I'm ready to be settled down now!
Old 03-02-2007, 04:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

The same thing kinda happened to me, got a less paying job, but feel like I belong there. Quit beating yourself up. My NA buddy said to me to quit walking around with an A on my forehead. The funny thing was that I thought was putting out a positive vibe. The 4th step I think talks about forgiving those wronged us, including OURSELVES. It turned the corner for me and helped me move forward. Since turning my life over to God, I am coming back to the person I once was at a pace that I cannot beleive.
Old 03-02-2007, 04:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Why not call them back. Tell them you have given their questions a great deal of thought and you have well thought out answers for them. I think you can turn this around and leave them impressed.
Old 03-02-2007, 05:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Great idea, admit you were extremely nervous and would like a second chance. What have you got to lose.
Old 03-02-2007, 05:10 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

There is a technique to interviewing..I have interviewed hundreds of people over my 35 year career in corporate america.

One thing to remember is that while they are interviewing you, you should be of the mindset to interview them at the same time. The idea is to make a perfect match, between interviewer and interviewee. It is a two way street.

Sit forward in your seat, to give the appearance of being a go-getter, not pushy, but very interested. The HR people are trained to read people.

Before going on an interview, practice your responses, stand before a mirror and look at your expressions, what you visualize the interview will be like.

And, keep in mind, they are searching for that perfect fit,and it is not unusual to keep advertising...it doesn't mean the door is closed..

And if it turns out that they hire someone else, use what you have learned in this interview to correct the mistakes made,so,that the next one goes better.

There is a job out there for you, one that matches your skills, it's just a matter of time.

My Best,
Dolly
Old 03-02-2007, 05:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

The better job i didn't get was one of those six on one, alternate question interviews. Two were HR people, coudn't get a read on them at all, the other 4 would of been co-workers and I thought they were very positive towards me. It's a good idea to practice these type of interviews.
Old 03-02-2007, 05:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I was looking forward to an interview working ofr a home care agency, I hear they paid good money. Home care is great and a nice way to make side money or get away from the hospital.
I went to the interview and there is always a medication math test.
I sat down to take the test which was 50 math questions.
It was a test where you read from one paper and put your answers on one of those ABCD, pencil in the right answer.
I got to question # 25. I notice that the answer sheet had no 25. It went from 24 to 26.
I borught the test up to the snooty woman and pointed it out. I could tell by the look on her face many people had failed the test for this reason. She was very shook up realizing this.
She asked me to take test B instead, OK.?!@#$#$$%%
smile smile.
I sit down and take the whole test and hand it to her.
She starts making red marks, !@##$%%^&!!!!
I said what?
She said oops!, I have the answer key to test C, not test B.
"Would you mind taking test C?"
I said look lady, I came here looking forward to working for you but first impressions go both ways, You are not the person I want representing my nursing services.
I told her that no where in my nursing career was "oops" ever acceptable.
I got mad enough and disgusted enough that I now go to interviews realizing it's a two way street.
Old 03-02-2007, 05:46 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi there,
Every single time I've not gotten a job, after I finally got one, I was so very happy I didn't get the first one. If I'd gotten some of the other ones before, I wouldn't be working for the great company I am now. I wouldn't have my co-workers who have become close friends. I wouldn't have a boss whom I can learn so much about written communication from. I wouldn't have an employer that pays us to be off on bad weather days or hosts monthly employee enrichment seminars (one of which we all got massages at).

It sucks today, but things have a way of falling into place. I believe that. Plus any practice interviews are a really good thing to have.
Good luck!!!
Old 03-02-2007, 05:48 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Becoming a Butterfly

Thanks all. I appreciate the good wishes and advice. I may just try giving them a call next week. I'll have to feel it out.
Old 03-02-2007, 06:42 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

TG is right. Things do have a way of "falling into place".

Don't be so hard on yourself.

Much love to you.
Old 03-02-2007, 06:46 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Maybe they are going to interview for the position foe a few weeks then decide..ya never know...you made it to the interview-good for you--something will come your way--don't give up....
Old 03-02-2007, 07:40 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I had the same thing happen a few months ago. I went for the interview and froze...I realized right afterwards, and now, that I had so little self confidence....I was and am doing well, but at that time I still needed to spend the time learning to believe in me again.

The good news is, that even though I was going through a tough time, they saw potential in me enough to interview me. That in itself, in hindsight, really gave me a "boost" to keep working on me.

HP was looking out for me.
Old 03-02-2007, 08:20 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

Just because they've listed the job again today doesn't mean that they won't choose you. Perhaps they paid for the ad to run the entire week. Let's not have a defeatest attitude. Remember we get the job (and life) we think we deserve. If I were you I'd think positively and come up with a salary that you feel you deserve. That way, when they call with an offer, you'll be ready to negotiate.
Old 03-03-2007, 07:12 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I'm going through the same things. I've been actively job searching for over a year now. I have a temporary job but it's not enough. The job market here sucks too. I had an interview last summer I had high hopes for, in another part of the state, but when I got there I froze big time. Afterwards driving around the town really looking at it, I realized I do not want to live there. Good thing too because that office has no interest in interviewing me for anything else after that.

Even when I do well, there's always others more qualified than me. I've worked on beefing up my qualifications but just money down the drain so far. Another degree doesn't make up for being a codie. We talk about how alkies can pick us out of a crowd. I'm convinced interviewers can too. Heck I can, so you'd think HR people can too. Although most of the stuff I interview for, the applications are screened by HR but the interviews are done by the supervisors and coworkers.

All the time people tell me to just keep trying, something will come up. It's been a year and a half. I have to pay the rent every month. Something has to come up NOW. When do I decide I'm on the wrong path and have to do something very different?