Newbie...again

Old 02-28-2007, 12:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Newbie...again

Blackouts...check

inability to control drinking at any level...check

financial distress due to drinking...check

spouse threatening to leave, again...check

biggest concern each and everytime I drink is where my NEXT drink is coming from...check

only friends I have left are heavy drinkers...check

remorse and regret about my drinking that rivals the severity of my hangovers...check

driving drunk, again...check

I can barely stand the feel of my own skin anymore. I am the best father, husband, son and brother in the world when I am not drunk, hungover or hiding in remorse from a recent drunk.

I am starting anew today. I have made promises to my wife I have never been able to keep. My children are losing respect for me, even though they would never say it, I can see it in their eyes and feel it.

I want to be trusted. I want to be the "stand up" guy I am when I am sober for extended periods of time, all the time. I want to reach my potential in life that alcohol has kept me from achieving. I want to embrace sobriety. I want sanity back in my life. I want to be healthy again (been since I was 18 since I can honestly say I looked or felt half way decent).

I have what every man in this world could possibly want. A beautiful wife, 3 beautiful and perfect young childre, a good job. Why do I try so hard to throw it all away each and every time I pick up a drink.

Why does every pint turn into a dozen or a dozen +5 drinks? I used to tell myself that I just trained myself that way. Years of alcohol abuse in high school and college is a tough habit to break right? Drinking to the point of alcohol poisoning everytime I drink when I am 35 is not a trained behavior.

I am an alcoholic. Period.

My dad, my dads dad, his dad and every traceable one before him was. How in the hell did I ever get off think I was special or different?

Thanks for listening. Nothing horrible happened. No DUI, no waking up in bed with a stranger, no abuse of kids or wife. I just can't take it anymore.

I am going back to AA. I am surrendering to my problem. I can't control it. It has a stranglehold on me.

Matt
Old 02-28-2007, 01:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Glad to see you here
and with a good plan!

Welcome to SR!
Old 02-28-2007, 02:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Smile Welcome aboard MATTM

You have come to a great place for info. and support. Your story sounds very similar to my own. About a year ago i felt the same way you feel right now..... I was drinking a liter of vodka a day, just to function, I didn't even get buzzed anymore.
It seemed I always had an excuse to drink so i could "function" . I was in a vicious alcoholic cycle which I tried to break on my own many times. The half measures did nothing but increase my and MY FAMILIY'S (wife, 2 girls) demise. I had to break this cycle, or I was going to break myself and a wonderful life for my family.
So , 10 months ago I broke that cycle( with lots of help) by enrolling in a 28 day inpatient rehab. center. I learned so much about this disease, I got that break from that "CYCLE" and I started to think on my own.

THE FOG CLEARED, and I saw the runway lights for the first time in years. I hope you the best, land that circling plane now before it runs out of fuel.

Keep posting, and be willing to learn.

Work Hard and Enjoy Life......NED
Old 02-28-2007, 02:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Matt I hope your wife will understand u and be by your side I think its to late for me, My husband and I only live together and he comes home every day and counts his beers and checks the bottle he says he does not love me anymore cuz I have lied 2 him about drinking I wish he would realize its an addiction or disease it wasn't me not loving him. Talk to your wife honesly and live for your family.
Old 02-28-2007, 02:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Your checklist sounds about right to me. Less than two months ago I could have created the same list, plus added a few other items.

Congratulations for going back to AA and participating in this amazing site!

If you get half out of this place what I have taken, you're recovery road will be an incredible ride.

Earl
Old 02-28-2007, 02:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
let it grow!

welcome, matt - nice to meet you. keep posting. blessings, k
Old 02-28-2007, 02:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Originally Posted by MattM View Post
I am the best father, husband, son and brother in the world when I am not drunk, hungover or hiding in remorse from a recent drunk.
I used to be all those things too, but as my drinking progressed I was rarely sober and was hiding under my alcoholism all the time. With a good recovery program I was able to become a good father, son, and brother again, but it was too late to be a good husband.

I really hope you decide to stick with AA this time. It's given me a life that's better than I thought I deserved.
Old 02-28-2007, 02:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Wink

Matt,

I was 35 when I got sober. I had a beautiful wife, 2 beautiful little girls, two cars, a house and a good job. Sounds like you right? My wife was ready to get her degree, get a job, and take the girls away. Thank God I was able to get help. Today, some 20+ years later, my daughters are two beautiful women with their own families and my wife and I are in our 35th year of marriage.

I can only offer an opinion. Get back to AA, get a sponsor, WORK the steps of the program and don't drink. You may not get another chance.

Yours in sobriety,
ED
Old 02-28-2007, 03:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Hope3

Welcome Matt, Nice committment. Thats a great start>>>>>>>>>>>

(((((((((((((hope3))))))))))))
Old 02-28-2007, 03:44 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hey Matt!!!
Welcome to SR, you found a great place. Stick with with it and keep coming back!!

tj
Old 02-28-2007, 09:49 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

My dad, my dads dad, his dad and every traceable one before him was. How in the hell did I ever get off think I was special or different?
Well, don't you know ? We're different !

I was the same way......

Sounds like you're ready to me. Get back to AA. Yoiu know what you have to do.
Old 02-28-2007, 09:55 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

welcome back.......

hugs
ayla