Notices

Is there anyone here who just *can't* stop?

Old 02-20-2007, 04:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Is there anyone here who just *can't* stop?

Hi everyone

I was just wondering if there is anyone here who has found it absolutely impossible to quit drinking no matter what you do or how hard you try. I know that many people such as myself can go for a few days at a time without drinking or even a whole week or so but still, the drinking continues. I have tried going cold turkey, joining groups, been on Campral, Naltrexone, etc and all with limited success (Naltrexone worked the best for me). I quit about 2+ years ago (on Naltrexone) and was able to stay sober for a year and a half. Why is it soooo difficult this time around?.

Anyway, I was just wondering...

- Thank you, NFIS
Old 02-20-2007, 04:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi NFIS,

I would hate to think that it is impossible for anyone to quit drinking. I think if you keep trying you will get it right. Believe in yourself that you can do it. Believe that you are worth the work it will take. Believe that you deserve to live a sober life.
Old 02-20-2007, 04:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Can you get the Naltrexone back? What is that?? I might look into it here in a couple months.

Don't you just wish they would outlaw alcohol? I mean I know some people would make it and sell it illegally, But I think it would take care of a vast majority of people.
Old 02-20-2007, 04:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Skip first question, I looked it up.
Old 02-20-2007, 04:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Wow, that is EXACTLY what I am always telling my best friend!. Yes, I DO wish they would outlaw alcohol!.

Naltrexone is an Alcohol Cessation Adjuct and is used to treat cravings. It actually works quite well.

I guess my biggest "trigger" for drinking is getting a ton of things done, feeling very satisfied about my accomplishments and deciding that I "deserve" a beer or two...or three. Sitting there all hot and sweaty, it sure does feel good to down an icy cold one and "chill out" a bit but ohhhh my...the evil things those hangovers do to me!.

Originally Posted by I_am_tj View Post
Can you get the Naltrexone back? What is that?? I might look into it here in a couple months.

Don't you just wish they would outlaw alcohol? I mean I know some people would make it and sell it illegally, But I think it would take care of a vast majority of people.
Old 02-20-2007, 04:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
not a greeter

You can outlaw the alcohol for yourself if it makes it easier to abstain. Or think of it as poison as others have mentioned. Keep trying NFIS... you will get there.
Old 02-20-2007, 04:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

i feel the same way about tobacco companies....

it seems to me you just need to find the right way for you to quit for good....keep searching, my friend.....you will find it.....
Old 02-20-2007, 04:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Anna

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I would hate to think so too. I have made so many attempts this time and all have failed so far (unfortunately). I can only hope and pray for all I'm worth that one day it will "take hold" before it's too late.

- Regards, NFIS

Originally Posted by 51anna View Post
Hi NFIS,

I would hate to think that it is impossible for anyone to quit drinking. I think if you keep trying you will get it right. Believe in yourself that you can do it. Believe that you are worth the work it will take. Believe that you deserve to live a sober life.
Old 02-20-2007, 06:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I can't say-except maybe the longer you are a drinker the harder it gets...My AS says things like this to--that he just can't stop--but he has been sober for over five months now--hang in there...
Old 02-20-2007, 08:01 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Well...when drinking was u illegal in the USA
people did it anyway.

I too had a hard time staying sober...
even tho I was in AA and trying hard.

Then I read "Under The Influence" that
explained WHY I was an alcoholic.

I used that info...God plus AA
and have not had a drink since.

We do have excerpts from "Under"

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...influence.html

Please read them and see if that helps.
Blessings
Old 02-20-2007, 08:24 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I felt that way for the last year of my drinking. Every day I'd wake up and swear I wasn't going to drink. Every night I passed out drunk. I tried everything I could think of and nothing worked. Even in the face of organ failure I still couldn't quit.

I had to be in total fear for my life in order to get my butt in a meeting and actually listen instead of trying to figure out all the reasons why it wasn't for me. When they read the part in How it Works about being constitutionally incapable of being honest with yourself I would squirm, (they were talking about ME!!! OMG!!!)

Finally one day after a month of daily meetings and coming home and drinking a lightbulb went off and I was ready to give this thing an HONEST try. That was 2.5 years ago. Every sober day is still a miracle.

Don't give up. The only true failure is one that fails to try.

Hugs,
Kellye
Old 02-21-2007, 12:45 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nofuninsuds View Post
Hi everyone

I was just wondering if there is anyone here who has found it absolutely impossible to quit drinking no matter what you do or how hard you try. I know that many people such as myself can go for a few days at a time without drinking or even a whole week or so but still, the drinking continues.
Yep, I was one of those guys
Now I'm sober (and clean) for almost 11 months and don't have any cravings anymore and having a much better life then I used to have.

Things that didn't work for me: trying it myself with willpower - going to various therapies - medicine - drinking with moderation - switching from booze to drugs and back - try different types of booze and/or drugs - going to 12 step meetings and not being totally honest of how I feel and what I really think (and knowing it!) - thinking that I had to stay clean&sober for ever, for the rest of my miserable life (for ever was/is simply too long for me to comprehend) - lots of other things I don't even remember.

Things that DO work for me: working the 12 steps to the best of my ability, just for this day - knowing that I don't have to, nor can, do it alone ever again, just for this day - having a relationship with a Power great then myself, just for this day - ask that Higher Power for help as I wake up and thank him when I go to sleep, just for this day - be as honest as I can to myself, just for this day - set staying clean&sober as my nr. 1 priority no matter what, just for this day - when I get cravings, call for help, pray, write, take opposite action, meet with a fellow recovering alcoholic/addict, just for this day - lots of other things I can't think of right now.

If I can do it, so can you
Truth be told, I wasn't that different from all the other people in the meetings, I just *thought* I was.
Took some time to see that though, but I get it now.
Keep trying and searching mate, I have absolute faith that you will find a solution too! (((Hugs)))
Old 02-21-2007, 07:04 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi nofuninsuds,

I seem to do fine with sobriety until life hits me in the face with an emotion that is uncomfortable. Loss, tremendous fear, intense anger, and many others have been thrown in the path of life.. These uncomfortable feelings are all to the extreme and have been my downfall. I am learning to feel the emotion, then replace it with support from other people.

Keep trying, you can do this.
Old 02-21-2007, 01:15 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

That is exactly how I feel...

...I so desperately want to stop...but find myself drinking. Right know all I can think about is having a drink because I know it will make me feel better... that is until I wake up tomorrow with even more regret...and thirty empty beer cans to dispose of...
Old 02-21-2007, 02:10 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by australia View Post
...I so desperately want to stop...but find myself drinking. Right know all I can think about is having a drink because I know it will make me feel better... that is until I wake up tomorrow with even more regret...and thirty empty beer cans to dispose of...
That's how I was at the end. Drink/Pass-out/Come To/Drink......if I didn't, withdraw would set in. Not a fun way to live, if you can call it living.

I finally ended up in an AA room. I listened, followed suggestions, and today I have 120 days.
Old 02-21-2007, 02:32 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Glass prisoner I congratulate you for doing what I percieve to be as the hardest thing in life. I cant imagine one hundred and twenty days. Oh how wonderful that would be... Why cant i be there now? Why do i have to start at one? If i could be further down the road...I would know that I had done it...that I had found a way out...I could feel better about myself because i was doing something about it. but i am stuck here...struggling to do one day... and knowing that no matter how much i want sobriety i will fail...because I always fail...reality sucks
Old 02-21-2007, 03:12 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I percieve to be as the hardest thing in life
That's an understatement

You'll quit when you're ready. Maybe God well help out and give you a little (or big) nudge.

I tried it my way. It didn't work. I ended up getting arrested at my daughters school for public intoxication (.33 BAL). Took a taxi home from jail that night to find mysled locked out of my own house, and both daughters gone. Spent the night sleeping in the trunk of my broken down Hyundai in a pair of shorts (40 deg F), puking, shaking, haluucinating.....

I went to my first meeting the next morning.
Old 02-21-2007, 03:33 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

I had to be in total fear for my life in order to get my butt in a meeting and actually listen instead of trying to figure out all the reasons why it wasn't for me. When they read the part in How it Works about being constitutionally incapable of being honest with yourself I would squirm, (they were talking about ME!!! OMG!!!)

Finally one day after a month of daily meetings and coming home and drinking a lightbulb went off and I was ready to give this thing an HONEST try. That was 2.5 years ago. Every sober day is still a miracle.

Don't give up. The only true failure is one that fails to try.
No one has put it more clearly, Kellye...when I read the post by NFIS, I immediately thought of How It Works..."rarely have we seen a person fail who has thoroughly followed our path, etc."...and that How stands for Honesty, Open-mindedness, and Willingness!

Keep trying, NFIS...we are here for you.