i wanted some advice - please...

Old 02-20-2007, 06:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

i wanted some advice - please...

hi everybody - i posted on the friends and families of substance abuse but since i *know* you more intimately i wondered if you would mind sharing your advice with me...

a lil history - my mom hadn't heard from my sister for a few days last week so saturday she went to sister and her boyfriends house - she was shocked - no food - house was a disaster - my nephews aged 2 & 4 were watching themselves at 1 in the afternoon as sister and their dad were passed out upstairs - my mom asked *how can you live like this?* - sister said *yeah it sucks doesn't it?* mom said she was taking the kids and sister went back upstairs and passed out - my mom has to work - i stay home with my 4 kids - my mom and sister live in IL - i live in IN - i called dcfs on sunday and explained situation and that my mom was bringing two lil guys here to stay with me and no one had heard from sister since sat at 1 - (my sister has 2 other kids who were staying with their dad for the weekend- he is keeping his kids and will file for full time custody this week) - talked to dcfs monday (they were closed?! - but someone picked up) i explained what was going on and that i thought someone would get back to me within 24 hours and hadn't - she said that the file said investigator knocked on door and no one answered - the tried to interview them and would try again today (tuesday) - i asked and dcfs recommended that i call police and have them make a *safety check* to see if sister and bf were dead or something since no o ne had heard anything for three days - police went by and said that everything appeared ok - they talked to sister and bf and told them they needed to contact me asap - still no call to anyone - mom or anyone - which brings me to today...

i have 2 & 4 year old - they know that mom and dad will come get them when they are better - that right now they are too sick (kids said they sleep all the time) and when they are better they will get them - kids seems to accept this ok and are getting more comfortable here - their really good lil guys - so what can i do to make sure kids don't have to go through this again? - i mean i know i have n o control over sister and bf and situation - but i do have physical custody of two kids and will not let them go home until something changes - be it death or rehab - but what do i really have a right to do? - anyone's ideas will be appreciated - thanks...

love,
s
Old 02-20-2007, 01:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

FYI - Monday was a city, state and federal holiday (President's Day). I have no legal experience or knowledge with this. I would think that you would want to petition the court for temporary custody. You may have already figured this out, but you need a lawyer. Let him handle everything. You have done the right (and only) thing by removing these children from the home. Your sister might not have a chance, but these two little kids deserve one. Please keep me posted.
Old 02-20-2007, 07:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Have to agree.... need to seek legal advise on this one hon....

Let us know what happens though.
Old 02-21-2007, 06:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Is there any way you can get your sister to agree to sign over guardianship to you ? If she does so voluntarily it might help both you and her in the long run.
Old 02-21-2007, 06:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

OK I have seen a case simular to this before---The DSS never do what they are supposed to do--and there is not much the police can do either, DSS will go to their door and they won;t answer--I know you have your hands full and God Bless You you sound like a wonderful lady--your sister is lucky to have you--she just doesn't know it..Being a mandated reporter myself-I will tell you --make lots of noise with DSS in the meantime if they don't get the ball rolling--make out a written report of what is happening and send it to them certified mail. You may have to go to probate court to get temporary custody--you don't really need a lawyer- unless your sister contests it--which it sounds like she isn't interested anyway.Tell the judge your story...Please save those children...Good Luck...