Hi-I'm new here

Old 02-18-2007, 01:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi-I'm new here

I've been lingering here for a while but just signed up today. I have no one else to talk to. Mostly because I don't want to reveal the truth to those who know me.
My AH and I have been drinking together since the begining but it has escelated over the years as our son has gotten older (because we don't have to be with him all the time).
The last couple years, we've gone out virtually every night for beer. It's wrecked havac on my health and weight.
I don't want to do it anymore and quit for New Years under the guise of a diet. But I'm not going back. It's a bore and I hate it.
I don't feel that I am or was an alcoholic. That may sound like denial but thats the way I feel. Quitting has never been a problem, but saying no to my husband (when he wants to go out) has been.
Now that I've quit and he has'nt, we don't seem to have anything together. He's still going out every night. He comes home drunk. Often he comes home bitter, angry, upset by one thing or another. It's a total turn-off and I try to avoid him. I try not to make things worse. I think you all know what I mean.
So there's my introduction. I'd love to hear from you. I'm terrible lonely with my problem...
Thank you,
Room6er
Old 02-18-2007, 01:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I sure know what you mean. I quit drinking too. There are times when I feel like an outcast, I'm out of the loop. Most of the time I like feeling good, rested and happy that my body is free of that poison. I take lots of walks, I also changed my work schedule so that I see a sober husband in the morning and that's about it. Drinking is boring and drinkers are boring to me. Stick with it, you'll find your place and your peace.
Old 02-18-2007, 01:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Room6er

Welcome to SR. Nice to meet you. You've come to the right place to get support! There's lots of wisdom here...I know that without SR I would have probably gone off the edge long ago. So keep reading and posting

A good place to start is to read the stickies (top of main friends/family page) and to browse through other peoples' postings...but if you've been lingering, you probably already know that

Anyways, glad you are here...but sorry things are not going well in your life.
I totally understand what you mean about not having anything together anymore...I felt the same way when my husband's drinking went from weekend fun, to all day pathetic. Good for you for quitting, and taking the steps toward living the kind of life you want. Sounds like you're "waking up"...yup, I know what that's like...can be super terrifying...but you're doing the right thing...keep going
Old 02-18-2007, 03:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

Maybe the only thing you every really had in common was the drinking, and now that you've stopped drinking, you can see that. Are there any other activities that you enjoy doing together? Personally, I've never found drinking to be enjoyable. I hate the way alcohol tastes and the way it takes control of my mind and body. I have no room in my life for it now and no tolerance of folks who's lives are centered around drinking.

Welcome to the forum. Looking forward to getting to know you.
Old 02-18-2007, 04:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
cmc

Hi, It's nice to have you with us. Take some time to read and I hope you will keep posting. There's so much here at SR to help you and I hope you will be able to take advantage of all the informational posts and enjoy getting to know us all here!
Old 02-19-2007, 06:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
let it grow!

welcome, room6er! i don't have any thoughts on this, other than please know that by abstaining, you are setting a good example for your husband. blessings, k