Notices

Last night was my first NA meeting, today is my 2nd.

Old 02-18-2007, 09:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Dom
Inspired

Last night was my first NA meeting, today is my 2nd.

I have 18 days clean now. The NA meeting is entirely not what I expected. Lots of young people, lots of older people, and plenty of hugs which felt weird and comforting at the same time. Luckily 2 people from my outpatient group were also there so it took away a lot of the anxiety.

At the end of the meeting I went up to an older guy with several years sober, and asked him to be my temporary sponsor. He then told me that today would be his anniversary, so I told him I'd be there to make it my 2nd meeting.

I do prefer my outpatient rehab group ten-fold, but I know these NA meetings will be all I have to stay clean after rehab is completed. I was the only first-timer, and because of that I was given a book about NA, How and Why it Works. I felt very grateful for it.

Months ago I told myself I would never goto meetings and certainly never enter rehab. Since then I have surrendered to my disease of addiction. I have kept an open mind, signed up for rehab and begun going to meetings. If I can do it, I truely feel that anyone can.

I also plan to learn and work the steps, I respect the fact that the steps help many people, and I want them to help me too.

Thanks again SR for filling the void inbetween my rehab meetings, and now NA meetings too. Lots of love to everyone here.
Old 02-18-2007, 10:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Keep up the good work ! It works if you work it. Cliche', I know, but so true.
Old 02-18-2007, 10:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The hugs were akward for me at first also. perfect strangers and all. but now I see the point of being accepted to the family. They are genuinely happy to have you there even though you feel you are not deserving of it. thanks for the post!!!
Old 02-18-2007, 10:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yeah, I was sooooo nervous. I've never liked crowds, and walking into a room of strangers ?!?!?!

But I've come to love and even look forward to meetings. I've made a lot of new friends. They're all just like me. And the hugs are the best !
Old 02-18-2007, 10:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on 18 days sober Dom!
Old 02-18-2007, 10:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congrats Dom,
it works if you work it
Stay strong
Chris
Old 02-18-2007, 11:03 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

this is awesome
keep it up =)
i am in the same exact boat.

fun =)
i am happy that soon soon soon will be back to normal and full of energy
Old 02-18-2007, 01:23 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Talking Congratulations

I wish you continued success!
Old 02-18-2007, 02:36 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Congrats Dom
Old 02-18-2007, 06:35 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

dom!

so good to hear from you again, and that you've got 18 clean sober days!

you're doing awesome~~~
Old 02-18-2007, 06:58 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Dom
Inspired

Last time I got clean on here was July and August of '06. I say clean because I was not sober. I tried to do it on my own. I thought about drugs a lot, and the days preceeding my relapse it was overwhelming. It was this relapse that convinced me that I cannot do it on my own.

I have heard from people that your first time in treatment is a gift. I do not want to screw this up. I know how I would feel if I relapsed during treatment... I probably wouldn't even want to show up.

Thanks everyone for the encouragement, you have no idea how much it means to me, (or maybe you do). Seeing the look on my fiances face when I told her that I relapsed really hit me hard. I am trying to remember this everyday, and I am also trying to remember daily, my darkest moments of using. I was not in control of myself, it was a horrible feeling and I never want to go back there.

On a side note, my relationship with my Dad has become the best it ever has. Since I have given up seeing my old friends, my days became very lonely. Talks with my Dad have become enjoyable, when they used to be all interrogations. Thank you for letting me share.
Old 02-19-2007, 12:53 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Dom
Inspired

Made my 3rd meeting today! I finally got to share, expressed some concerns and my sponsor was there, he told me to definitely call him tonight. Looking forward to the first phonecall.