Notices

Addiction or "habit"?

Old 02-17-2007, 08:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Addiction or "habit"?

How do you know whether your dependency on alcohol is an "addiction" or just a really, really bad habit that needs to be broken down?

Sometimes I can go for a week or so without alcohol and be perfectly fine. And when I trace my cravings, they seem to follow quite clear and determinate patterns, as if they were just bad habitual grooves or destructive coping-strategies. I know I have a problem with how I use alcohol, but how do I know that this behaviour is reflecting of an addiction versus simple ill-discipline?
Old 02-17-2007, 08:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Back before I realized that I was addicted I used the "habit" crutch for years. I'd say if you can't go a full month (Sober) then you really need to take a deeper look at yourself, your circle of friends and what if any effects alcohol has on your life.
Old 02-17-2007, 08:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

If you can stop today, and stay stopped with no problems at all, then it's probably a habit.

A good way to find out is to stop for a specific time period, say three months, and see what happens. You should have your answers.
Old 02-17-2007, 08:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
let it grow!

the thing that always comes to mind when folks ask this question is the fact that addiction is a progressive disease...that's worth thinking about?

blessings, k
Old 02-17-2007, 09:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fastrabbit View Post
I know I have a problem with how I use alcohol,
That was the clincher for me. I also used the "habit" excuse (I also used to say that drinking was just a hobby) until I asked, "Why don't I have more habits that aren't a problem?"

Earl
Old 02-17-2007, 09:28 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Joi

I love Earl's statement. If you don't object I believe I'll plagiarise that.
Old 02-17-2007, 11:52 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Hope3

A problem or a habit? Well, if it is stopping you from doing things you need to do, I guess it really doesn't matter what it is called. Does it?

I quess either way if you don't want the problems that come with it, you should probably quit, if you don't mind the problems, then you probably won't.

best wishes, hope3
Old 02-17-2007, 12:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I guess when you find yourself having to drink to cope with lifes every day emotions:fear,hate,love then you may think you have an addiction.

good luck
chris
Old 02-17-2007, 12:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

There is a pamphlet or website that has like 12 questions about drinking "habbits." I answered 9 of the 12, "yes." I knew I had an addiction. There is also a post for reasons for quitting, which talks about what alcohol does to one's body and mind...that is what kicked me in the butt and made me tell myself that I never have to drink again...hope this helps...good luck...