Notices

Hello

Old 02-11-2007, 03:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
No more merlot, more mamma

Question Hello

I'm brand new here, and I have to say this is a scary step for me. I've never before actually admitted publicly that I have a problem with alcohol. I"m not yet sober, but I'm looking for resources to help me get to that point.

I've recently had a life changing experience, in that I have chosen, after many years of denying it, that I am in love with a woman and ready to commit to her. One huge stumbling block in making that happen is my drinking. She's sober for over seven years, involved in AA and doing well with that. How she has put up with me so far boggles my mind. We have been apart for a few months now, I have been working on myself, and this is my last thing that I have to change. No, she isn't forcing me to do this, its my choice, one that I've been thinking of during the last few months. To know that it would help in hers and mine relationship, well, its a driving force I have to say.

So..hi? Help?
Old 02-11-2007, 03:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Wink

Originally Posted by merlotmamma View Post
I'm brand new here, and I have to say this is a scary step for me. I've never before actually admitted publicly that I have a problem with alcohol. I"m not yet sober, but I'm looking for resources to help me get to that point.

I've recently had a life changing experience, in that I have chosen, after many years of denying it, that I am in love with a woman and ready to commit to her. One huge stumbling block in making that happen is my drinking. She's sober for over seven years, involved in AA and doing well with that. How she has put up with me so far boggles my mind. We have been apart for a few months now, I have been working on myself, and this is my last thing that I have to change. No, she isn't forcing me to do this, its my choice, one that I've been thinking of during the last few months. To know that it would help in hers and mine relationship, well, its a driving force I have to say.

So..hi? Help?

Hi Mamma,

You came to the right place. As you've no doubt been told by your partner, AA is the way to go. It takes a tremendous amount of courage just to post here, so congratulations. If you want what your partner has and are willing to go to any length to get it, you're ready to take the next step. I would be cautious though. Examine what your motive is for getting sober. If it's to please someone else, even if you're not being pressured, you may be in for a rough ride. I've heard many stories over the last 20 years from people who went for their husband, wife, girlfriend, boyfriend, kids etc. Almost without exception, these folks got themselves in trouble because they really weren't there for themselves.

That being said, most of us have been and still are to some degree, people pleasers and very co-dependent on others emotions. What you will learn in AA is "To thine own self be true."

Welcome to recovery. It's an exciting ride.
Old 02-11-2007, 03:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Welcome to SR
Old 02-11-2007, 04:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi and Welcome to SR!
It's great to see a new member.

I suggest you read the link below
for info on alcoholism

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...influence.html

Seeing a doctor is also a wise move
as de toxing from alcohol can be dangerous.

Congratulations on seeking a sober life!
Old 02-11-2007, 04:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi! Thanks for responding..

No, its not for my partner (or hopefully partner). Its for me.

Last month I was with my friend when she got pulled over for DWI. It was friggin scary, even though I wasn't the one driving. She had to drive cause I was so drunk. I had to call my ex husband at 1 in the morning to come and get me. That was embarrassing to say the least. Not to mention, that my friend's husband is now not talking to me either. The police report stated: "passenger highly inebriated".

An old friend called the other night and I couldn't talk to her cause I was drunk. I haven't heard from her since.

My house is a mess, my bills are unpaid, and my kids get themselves off to school in the morning because I'm still in bed. I'm late for work, having trouble focusing while I'm there, I've had many many one night stands with men in the past year...you see the picture.

I have a chance for happiness with someone who has for some unknown reason decided to stick 4 years out with me..and I don't even know if it's not too late. Doesn't matter...I'm just sick of all this negativity.

Wow..that just bursted out! Thank you for responding.
Old 02-11-2007, 04:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Carol

Thank you, I've already thought of that. I"m THIS close to calling my doc to make an apt.
Old 02-11-2007, 04:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Yes... Please do call
and be honest about your drinking.

Being safe is being smart.

Hugs
Old 02-11-2007, 04:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I was really scared when I posted my post..thank you all for the support. I hope to get to the point soon where I can give it up...my friend has offered to go to a meeting with me.

It's nice to finally be able to be honest.
Old 02-11-2007, 04:43 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome! You've taken a big step just by admitting that you have a problem. It's also a plus to have someone already in the program to show you the way. It's not easy, but it's definitely doable and so worth it! You're worth it!
Old 02-11-2007, 04:47 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Take it like a bear...

Absolutely!

Originally Posted by merlotmamma View Post

It's nice to finally be able to be honest.
Gotta agree with you there.
Welcome, lots of acceptance here from some good honest folks.
Stagebear
Old 02-11-2007, 04:52 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Dont ever be afraid to post here k? All of these great people have been where you are right now. Call your doctor! Be completely honest with him/her about exactly how much you drink so they can give you the help you need. Keep posting here!! If you slip up, try again. Don't give up on yourself. Do it one day at a time. One hour or minute at a time if need be.

3 days sober here. again I quit for 3 months sometime back and felt so good!

Then my Son went to Iraq and I had myself a pity party and started drinking again. Everyone here helped me so much it was amazing, so I'm back!!
Old 02-12-2007, 08:05 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
let it grow!

welcome, merlotmamma - it's nice to meet you. keep posting, and sending you strength and hope in your recovery. blessings, k