Notices

Do I have a problem?

Old 02-10-2007, 05:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Do I have a problem?

I apologize in advance, this got a little long...

I guess that just the fact that I am here and posting this should tell me something...

I am not an everyday drinker. I'll go days, sometimes weeks at a time without a drop, and without any problems. I never have any cravings, per se...Not like I had when I was a smoker, anyway. I will sometimes want a drink, at the end of an especially hard day, but never anythign that I have a hard time skipping if it is not the right time.

But, when i do drink, I have a VERY hard time keeping myself to a reasonable amount. I often get completely out of control. I've embarassed myself at friends' weddings, in front of my in-laws at a pampered chef party my wife threw at our home, and in many other situations. Every time I do, I wake up the next day completely mortified and remorseful, and ashamed at myself for doing it again. But then, a few weeks or a month or two later, I'll do it again.

Last Thursday, I went to a wine tasting. I have recently gotten very into wine, collecting, studying, tasting.

On my way there, I was actually saying to myself out loud "I will not get drunk tonight. I will not get drunk tonight." I just wanted to go and have a nice evening with some new friends trying wines. I promised myself I would keep an eye on what I was drinking, and if I was getting a little buzzed, would either taste and spit (which is actually very common and almost expected in wine tasting circles), or just stop tasting for a while.

Long story short, I got pulled over on the way home and arrested for DUI. My first arrest, and it has really scared me. Cop said my BAC was 4 times the legal limit. And, i was out of control, very belligerent and rude to the officers, another thing that I regret. But, all in all, I'm just so thankful that nothing worse happened. I have a 5 month old daughter, and over the past few days everytime I look at her all I can think is "What if I had hurt or killed someone else's little girl???" I would never be able to live with myself.

So now I'm debating if i really have a problem that I should seek help for, or f I just ned to learn how to drink responsibly. I've been reading some posts around here, and you are all so helpful and friendly, I welcome anyone's thoughts. Thanks in advance.
Old 02-10-2007, 05:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That behavior is what is keeping me from "trying agian". It is easier to just not drink then to try and stop once I start. I know I have driven way over the limit but luckily never got caught.

I would certainly say you came to a good place. Keep reading, most here are very supportive and understanding.
Old 02-10-2007, 06:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to SR!

Here is my suggestion...find info on the disease of alcoholism.

My favorite resource on alcoholism is
"Under The Influence"
and it has a sequel..."Beyond The Influence"

Both can be ordered from Amazon.

We also have excerpts from "Under"
Please click

1. http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...influence.html

Take care...keep posting...ask questions
Old 02-10-2007, 10:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

The inability to control your intake when you drink is an indicator of being an alcoholic.

If you be alcoholic, there's a lot of help here, and in the "real" world.

Welcome, and God Bless
Old 02-11-2007, 09:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Dom
Inspired

This may be your "bottom". People make mistakes and your very lucky no one got hurt. You may use this mistake to stop drinking completely or keep your drinking under control. In my opinion, anyone who has TWO DUIs, suffers from alcoholism. Please stick around and educate yourself, as you may have the disease that many of us do.
Old 02-11-2007, 05:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Take it like a bear...

Originally Posted by AnonOne View Post
So now I'm debating if i really have a problem that I should seek help for
Well, if I was on your debate team, (and I am, I am) I'd say what you've been through coupled with your decision to ask for help at a sober recovery group sorta, kinda leads one to believe that, yes, this may be a problem.
I've only found one solution and "responsible" drinking wasn't it.
Stay here a while, read others posts. You may find an answer. It may be one you don't like. but it may save your life someday.
Bear hug,
Da Stagebear
Old 02-12-2007, 08:02 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
let it grow!

welcome, anonone -

my daughter is now in recovery, but when she was active - she was also a binge drinker. she tried many times to control and limit her drinking, and was not successful. her disease progressed quickly, and she found herself getting deeper and deeper into addiction - adding cocaine and pot use to her drinking.

she also got a dui, her second. her accident was her wake up call. she is sober now since september, with the help of rehab and aa.

recovery is possible.

blessings, k