Problem Drinker or Alcoholic???

Old 02-06-2007, 09:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Problem Drinker or Alcoholic???

I had started to ask this in another thread and thought it deserved a thread of its own. What is the difference between a problem drinker and an alcoholic. And does it really matter what we label it? Not sure if this is just another way for me to deny there is a real issue.. Would love some input on this one.
Old 02-06-2007, 09:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Becoming a Butterfly

I believe I was a problem drinker because I realized that my drinking was causing big problems in my life and I simply gave it up the way someone might give up smoking, but with less regret and longing. I was glad to stay away from it. That was 9 years ago. I make no apologies for not drinking and consider people who have a problem with it to be people I want nothing to do with. I also don't care if other people drink socially in my presence. it's meaningless to me now.

Alcoholics seem to have an inability to stop unless the consequences are horrific, and sometimes not even then.
Old 02-06-2007, 09:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Alijill, I replied in your other thread. I know I sound like a broken record sometimes, but of course there is a real issue - YOUR problem with it. Honest to god, it doesn't matter what he is.
Old 02-06-2007, 09:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
There was a topic very similar to this at an AA meeting I attended this week.

My ticket got called first so what I shared was that I believed I turned the corner from being a heavy, problem drinker to an alcoholic when I added hard liquor to my normal beer drinking routine, and when I started the obsessive traits of hiding bottles and playing games with my ex's head about how much I drank. But as others spoke after me I realized I was way off base.

I was an alcoholic from the first time I took a drink at age 14. Alcoholism was built into me from the day I was born, and I simply had to wake it up. And as far as I'm concerned, if you're a problem drinker you've got a problem with alcoholism, therefore you're an alcoholic. I don't put labels on alcoholics. You either are or you aren't.
Old 02-06-2007, 12:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Searching and tripping

In a nutshell, if you have to ask what's the difference, it is bothering you and you need to be focusing on your wellbeing and mental health.

IMHO, there is no difference. You have a problem with drinking, that's alcoholism. Per my recovering husband and son.