?

Old 02-05-2007, 08:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Question ?

Growing up in an alcoholic home I always put all my energy into helping others. that is wha Ii have always done Now I am 21 and in college and i still do that. I would rather help my friend that is starving herself and slowly killing herself than for me to get help for something in my life. Is it people I have grown up thinking I am not worth taking care of myself or what?

love,
Shana
Old 02-05-2007, 08:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Only you can answer that question.

I know that the answers have varied per person.

Are you avoiding yourself?
Or does helping others what you do to make yourself feel good about you?
You tell me - what is it that you feel?
Old 02-05-2007, 08:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Becoming a Butterfly

Shana, you are the perfect age with the perfect questions to make really great progress with a good therapist. Your school can probably provide a good one, though sometimes you have to sign up early in the semester to get them. I'm smiling for you because if you work on these issues now you'll be so much happier when you're 30-something (not that I know - I've been 29 for years now )
Old 02-06-2007, 04:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Renee.
I agree with Wantsout - you should get yourself a therapist. I think you will really get a lot out of it. Check with the mental health center at your school.
Why is it that we make an appointment with the doctor when something is physically wrong - but when we have a lot on our minds we resist calling and making an appointment with a therapist/counselor? It was hard for me to make that first call to a therapist, but I gotta say, once the ball got rolling it's been the BEST thing that has ever happened to me. You will really be surprised how much better you can feel. How much less confused a good therapist can help you be. Let us know how you are doing Renee!
Old 02-06-2007, 04:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

good morning renee and welcome

well, hon, you grew up in an alcoholic home. usually, people that live with the effects of alcoholism, develop survival skills to help deal with their surroundings. i lived in an alcoholic marriage, was raised by adult children of alcoholics, so i became a co-dependant. meaning i needed other people with addictions of some sort to fit my so-called skills.

i needed to be in situations that required me helping others. i didn't realize it, until i had become so sick mentally with it all, that my life had truly become unmanagable. i then went to al-anon, among many other things, and begin learning about myself.

it was a really rough road. i am almost 54, and spent most of my life in this sort of chaos.

it is so wonderful that at an early age like yourself, you have identified that you have a character trait that is causing you concern. if you address it now, and learn about it now, you can save yourself a life long worth of rough travel.

i wish i had been as wise as you at your age. i could have known better. my life could have had more quality had i learned about myself much sooner.

good luck and best wishes to you.....

love to you
jeri
Old 02-06-2007, 07:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Thanks everyone. I am in Al-Anon and just started working with a counselor again and I am going to bring this up the next time we meet which is tomorrow. IA m glad about that.

thanks Embraced2000 Survival skills I never thought of it that way before but makes a lot of sense to me know so thanks for your input I apprecaite it.

StandingStand you know what it makes me feel it makes me feel good about myself and becaue I am avoiding myself a lot too. I started getting deep with my counselor and it is deep things that I Have push down for many years of living with an alcoholic father and my mom dening the problem.

Shana Today is a better day