Dis~Ease

Old 02-05-2007, 07:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Dis~Ease

Just wanted to share with you all a wonderful insight from the meeting I attended tonight. It was a beginner's meeting, which I found nice (my first one) because unlike a structured Al-anon meeting, this one allowed actual dialog, and back and forth discussion. Anyway, one woman voiced her problem with identifying herself as having a disease, which I guess is a concept that has been introduced in the meetings. She couldn't associate herself as having a *disease*....that is what her alcoholic had.

Another girl popped her hand up and said that when she was in college, she walked by some display that had the word DISEASE broken down into two root words....DIS EASE. Not being at ease. Being uneasy. This was an amazing association for me. I think most of us probably associate the word Disease with medical, psychological, chemical, etc. But when you break it down into Dis Ease...It really helps it hit home. I think we are all experiencing Dis Ease when you read step 1 and identify with it. Our lives are unmanageable. Just thought I would share that, in case anyone else has struggled with that concept too.
Old 02-05-2007, 08:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Adore

It is so much more comfortable to use the other word...this is so true. thk u