Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

2 days off it then I feel like crap. Shakes, sweats, dizziness.

Notices

Old 02-03-2007, 04:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi all,

Every time I try to do something about my drinking I blame myself for not being strong enough to do it alone, I don't want to go to the doc because he has REAL people/problems to deal with, people at work just think i'm a **** head and that its my bed and I should lie in it, i'm going to my first AA tonight and i'm nervous about the whole thing. I am sociable on drink but then when I leave the pub with my friends they go home and I go the the shop and get 2-3 bottles of wine, go home and drink them by myself just for SOMETHING TO DO !! I don't really know why i'm telling you all this, i feel stupid writing this really but I have to start somewhere.

Reuben.
Old 02-03-2007, 05:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Reuben,

Firstly, dont feel stupid writing anything in here. What you've done is something brave; you've taken a huge first step towards a life without booze... a MUCH better life!!!!

My doctor really helped me - alcoholism is misunderstood but I dont believe there's a doctor in the country who wouldn't consider alcoholism a REAL problem and be duty bound to help you. Also, going to see my doctor helped make it REAL for me, a step in admitting to myself I had a REAL problem. Maybe a trip to see your doc wouldn't hurt if only to steel your resolve.

My tipple was wine too. Lots of it and I did most of my drinking alone.

The shakes, sweats and dizzyness will pass very quickly. Your body has been used to having litres of poison poured into it on a daily basis and this is a process of cleaning out and healing. Within about a week you'll be sleeping better, looking better and feeling AMAZING.

Just take a day at a time and dont worry too much - there's things that you probably used to mask with booze, worries etc. Put them on the back burner for a while and treat this like a bout of flu - take a couple of days off work if necessary.

What you're doing is something fantastic!!!!!! Keep positive and never forget how wonderful the mornings feel without a sickening hangover.

All the best,
Simon.
Old 02-03-2007, 05:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

reuben... i had all the same feelings you have right now... why...?

its called alcoholism....

keeping that first drink away, is the start... the finish.. there aint one... its a recovery journey...

dont drink, go to meets, clean house... and trust anyone but yourself... at least for now...

good wishes....................... xxoo, zip

ps, you have just started on your road... welcome to SR...
Old 02-03-2007, 09:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi and Congratulations on seeking a sober life!

AA meetings are where I learned how to
quit and stay quit.

Just go and listen...telling someone there
that you are new if a also good idea.

Let us know how you are doing..we care
Old 02-03-2007, 10:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Go ahead and go to an AA meeting when you can. It sounds like you're going through withdwaw. It'll pass eventually, but you really should talk to your Dr.

Lot's of people here to help you through.

Good Luck and God Bless !
Old 02-05-2007, 07:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
let it grow!

welcome, rueben. nice to meet you - keep reaching out!

blessings, k
Old 02-05-2007, 07:21 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Reuban:

Let me know how your first AA meeting goes. My first one is at 12 today and I am going again at 6:00. I am almost 2 days sober. I had night sweats last night and really bad anxiety this morning. I was told.... minute by minute... Post back and let me know how things go. Im really nervous about going to AA too but right now it's about having some really good support.

Kimberly
Old 02-05-2007, 07:31 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
THINK SnoW

When you reach out, God has already answered you:

Think of it this way. . . if you were just diagnosed with cancer, and told that you could enter a treatment facility for ___ days, follow directions, attend meetings regularly, work with a friend (sponsor), and you have a great chance of beating this fatal disease. I imagine you wouldn't think twice, take his prescription and choose to LIVE>

My friend you have a disease. Its called "Chronic Relapsing Brain Disease." Or Alcoholism. You can't will it away, you have lost the choice to drink or not drink. It's beyond you. (Just as having cancer would be) I was there, my last drink was 8 months ago. The hardest thing I ever did was enter into a treatment facility for 30 days. God saved my life. I give all thanks to HIM.

I am praying for you!

Peace and love,
Lisa
Old 02-05-2007, 07:57 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Lurker

Reuban:

WELCOME!! Hope all is going well today. You have come to a place that has helped me so much the past weeks. Do not give up. there is a sober life waiting for you, and it waits just one day at a time.