Notices

new and need advice

Old 01-29-2007, 08:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

new and need advice

Hi. About 2 hours ago, my live-in boyfriend broke down and admitted that he was drunk and scared. He started crying, told me that he was scared that I was going to leave him. He also said that he is scared because he knows I do not like people who are weak and that he is weak. He said that the alcohol makes him numb and that he hates himself. He then proceeded to cry himself to sleep and he is still sleeping on the couch.

This is the first time that he has spoken about this, but it is not the first time that he has come home drunk from work. We have a wonderful life together, but he went through 10 years of pain, guilt, and deception before we met. I know that he had a long conversation about the past with his mom today and I'm pretty sure that is why he wanted to numb himself today.

I would appreciate any advice... should I seek out a counselor, AA meetings, talk to his family?

Thanks for listening,
bella vida
Old 01-29-2007, 09:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi Welcome!

I suggest you read this forum

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ly-alcoholics/

then you can have a clear idea of living with
an active alcoholic is really like.

Start at the top stickys.

Take care
Old 01-30-2007, 04:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
let it grow!

welcome, bella -

good for your boyfriend for admitting that alcohol is a problem for him, that's a big step. it's generous of you to want to help him seek help. but don't forget to also take good care of yourself. my daughter is a recovering alcoholic - she went to rehab, gets private counseling, now lives in a sober living house, and goes to daily aa meetings - she has over 120 days sober. my husband and i attend alanon and also go to a private counselor.

it was her decision to quit drinking, and ultimately her decision to seek help and stay sober. we could not have forced her, she had to want to do it.

come on over and post on the family and friends of alcoholics board. and i suggest you learn about the disease and try some alanon.

blessings, k