Not sure how to work the program

Old 04-14-2003, 02:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Paused

Smile Not sure how to work the program

I have joined Alanon's Feb 28, 2003 and must say that I have indeed improved my overall well-being. I was raised with a father who was a dual addit and it was not a nice home to be in. My mother was very abusive and it was difficult to please her at all. I lived 12 years with another dual and divorced him. I married a wonderful man who has been drinking consistently the past 4 years. The first 5 were wonderful. I have spent the past year going to bed early and trying to find a way to get out of this hell. Alanon's is slowly showing me the way back to me. I am also seeking help here. I find it difficult to speak at the meetings when my mouth is full. Just wanted to express my feelings/thoughts for now. Thanks for reading my notes. Danna
Old 04-14-2003, 02:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Danna and Welcome!

It sounds like you have taken the first step to a better way of life. Going to Alanon and expressing yourself on this board will help a lot. I've been around the program most of my life, and I still have days when I'm not sure I'm working it right. I give myself two points if I make the effort to try. Stick around, there are some very wise and supportive people here. Also, check out the Alanon stickies post at the top of the page. It covers a wide range of topics that are very helpful to old timers and newcomers alike.
Peace,
Gabe
Old 04-14-2003, 03:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
JT
Supply Manager

I am with Gabe here. I have been around this program a long time and I haven't graduated yet. I still get myself wound up sometimes and that is where talking to others helps me to see clearer.

As far as working the program just do what you are doing and reach out. If you don't have a sponsor that is helpful or at least make a friend or two that you can call. We are always here but sometimes there is a delay in response. Not much tho...there are alot of people here in all satges of recovery.

Read the literature, get your focus on you and things you can change to make you life easier. I found it easier to talk when I picked the topic. It wa scary but at least the topic was something I needed to hear. Does your group give all the members that opportunity?

Alanon and the 12 steps is a blueprint for life not just a way to deal with today. It took a while for you to become frustrated enough to go...give yourself some time to understand it and begin to live it.

I hope to see you around here!
Hugs,
JT
Old 04-14-2003, 03:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey Danna,

The post I was referring to is "Sticky: Alanon Power Posts". It's the second from the top of the page.
Peace,
Gabe
Old 04-15-2003, 08:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome!

Danna:

It sounds like you are taking steps in the right direction. Take care of yourself.

Hugs,

Lyn
Old 04-15-2003, 10:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Paused

Smile Noticing a difference

Hi everyone, I attended another alanon meeting last night and left feeling lifted.

When I arrived home later than usual; yet, my husband was still up having a few drinks. I sat down and asked him how his day went and so on. We went off to bed and he turned his back against me and said: good night dear, I'm just turning away so you don' t need to smell the alcohol.

It was the way he said it (tone) and his actions spoke volumes. Showing he cared was how I had taken this.

Just wanted to share a positive aspect of my life. And thanks to all who have responded to my post yesterday.

Have a nice day and again, thank you in advance for reading my thoughts/feelings.

May tomorrow be as bright as today....Danna
Old 04-15-2003, 01:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Paused

What a great start!

Wow, what a great start. If you were like me when I first started the program, the temptation to accuse, yell, cry, etc. when you got home to find him drinking would entice a reaction! You didn't and that deserves a hug..... <HUG>,
Old 04-16-2003, 05:31 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Definitely!

Definitely deserve hugs, and special award!

Hugs,

Lyn

Last edited by lyn_blossom78; 04-16-2003 at 05:33 AM.
Old 04-16-2003, 05:43 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Southern through and through

Danna,

Just wanted to add my welcome along with the rest here. We're glad you've found this website. And I'm even more glad that you've taken steps to seek out an Al Anon group. I say the more support the better, so keep up those meetings and keep coming back here. There are a lot of wise folks here who offer so much support.

Look forward to seeing more posts from you. We all learn from each other here....

Love,
Hangin' In
Old 04-16-2003, 06:25 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
No More Mrs. Nice Guy

Danna,

Welcome. You will find a lot of love and support here. I hope you have found an al-anon group that you like. I had to try a few in my area before I found the one that was right for me. Spend time reading, check out the "power posts" on this site. You may not notice immediate changes, but little by little you will see that the days get easier when you have the right tool belt on!

Osier59
Old 04-16-2003, 03:19 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Paused

Thanks for the encouragment and support, so nice to know others are there

Originally posted by Hangin' In
Danna,

Just wanted to add my welcome along with the rest here. We're glad you've found this website. And I'm even more glad that you've taken steps to seek out an Al Anon group. I say the more support the better, so keep up those meetings and keep coming back here. There are a lot of wise folks here who offer so much support.

Look forward to seeing more posts from you. We all learn from each other here....

Love,
Hangin' In
Old 04-16-2003, 03:23 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Paused

I just love how you expressed that I will find love and support here, Big thank you.

Originally posted by osier59
Danna,

Welcome. You will find a lot of love and support here. I hope you have found an al-anon group that you like. I had to try a few in my area before I found the one that was right for me. Spend time reading, check out the "power posts" on this site. You may not notice immediate changes, but little by little you will see that the days get easier when you have the right tool belt on!

Osier59
Old 04-16-2003, 03:33 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
I used to work here ;)

Hey Danna

I am late as usual, just wanted to send my Welcome to you as well. Hope you stick around

Many hugs,
Debbie