stange odor

Old 01-27-2007, 10:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question stange odor

Hi everyone,

I posted awhile ago about my husbands drinking...right now he is in the "I will cut back stage...again" But, I know he is still drinking heavily...but I have promised myself I am not going to search for it or bring it up again...because I know how it is...he does not want to quit, he has told me so...he does not want to go to counseling, he told me so. He does not believe that he chooses alcohol over his family...but he does...I know I could go on and on..and you too have heard it all before....he is nothing but a liar...who is manipulating his way through. He used to chew gum to cover up his breath, but guess that doesn't work well enough anymore..now he uses the "breath strips" And the funny thing is he thinks he has gotten everyone fooled....!! I have made the decision to do what is right for myself and my children, to work on my education and get a job.

But, I do have a question...does anyone else's husband "stink"?? I don't mean like booze, and I even smell it when he is showered, and not drinking...it's not a body odor either...it is hard to describe...but it smells to me like "sickness"?? Wondering if anyone else knows what I mean?? I know it sounds kind of weird...but I know I am smelling something.

Thanks....
Old 01-27-2007, 10:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

yes people who eat wrong and drink do stink. You maybe smelling his liver...he could very well be sick and I would say if you can smell his sickness it could be pretty far into advanced stages.
Old 01-27-2007, 10:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes, I know what you are talking about. It seems like the "odor" comes out of their pores.
Old 01-27-2007, 11:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Becoming a Butterfly

I'm not sure i know what you mean because the smell mine gave off was booze-like. Even the next morning, hours after he stopped, he smelled like sour beer and it was coming from his pores not his breath. Someone here said (I paraphrase) that it was the alcohol metabolizing through the pores.

I agree that if it's not alcohol like that the next possible culprit is a liver problem. I pray that's a wrong, blind guess from out here in cyberspace because if it's true, he is a very sick man.

Maybe if you told him about it he'd go see a doctor.
Old 01-27-2007, 11:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yes; I know the smell;very heavy,sick smell that lingers.....yuck! Now that I have smelled it, I notice it from time to time in crowds now,too.

I have heard it is the alcohol seeping thru the pores (if/when the body can not process it fast enough). My AH used to sweat out a lot during the night and when he went to bed earlier than me (often),it would about hit me in the face when I opened the bedroom door.
Old 01-27-2007, 11:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Hope3

I used to say the same things to myself and my lover that your husband says to you, sad really, and sader still is the fact that he really believes it.

I finally came around but it was difficult.

As for him saying Qoute "he does not want to quit, he has told me so...he does not want to go to counseling, he told me so. He does not believe that he chooses alcohol over his family...but he does" Ask him this: If you knew your liver was becomming damadged to the point of lifethreatening illness in the very short future, then do you think it would be damaging our family?

Thing is, alot of us don't really think we are hurting anyone but ourself, even though it seems really obvious..

Going back to school is a great idea, and looking to you and your childrens
future, best wishes, Hope3.
Old 01-27-2007, 04:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

yes my BF would smell like he was just sick... like infection almost. sort of gross, but it was really disgusting at times. I would tell him, and he would just chew another mint. Never covered it up of course. Anyway, I know what you are talking about. Even at times, he smelled just like some foul chemicals. Anyway, no more of that now... he actually smells pretty decent now that he is sober!
Old 01-27-2007, 06:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

mine always smelled like a big stinking garbage can.
Old 01-27-2007, 06:52 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

yes....i know that smell. heavy, oppressive, rotten meat with fruit mixed in....yeccchhhhhh
oh, and add the trying to cover it up smell of expensive cologne and breath mints....just didn't work.
Old 01-27-2007, 07:13 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I lived with the same mixed with construction worker sweat during the summer...ewwww....
Old 01-27-2007, 07:15 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I know that there were times when I felt like I would be sick from the smell....
It is also worse when they let their hygiene go too........yuck.
Old 01-27-2007, 08:16 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

I call it that "Liver Smell"...the body can only process so much...and I think the rest oozes out of their pores.
Old 01-27-2007, 08:34 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Ah yes. The "something crawled into his mouth and died" smell. When my husband would sleep, the odour filled the entire room, and would linger there long after he left. He had good hygiene -- but I think his body was rotting from the inside out.
Old 01-27-2007, 09:00 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Location: See that chick in the store, the one that looks tired with remnants of peanut butter and baby formula on her shirt--yep, that's me!
Mmm, I'm smelling it right now. Sort of sweet, but sharp. Strong and chemical-ly, yep. I think I almost hate that smell worse than the behavior that goes along with it. When he was just a social drinker, I never smelled this, I'd smell a little alcohol, but nothing like this. I hate this!
Old 01-27-2007, 09:09 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Yup - I remember the smell only too well...the kids told me long after my XAH left home that my bedroom no longer smells bad like old alcohol...hmmm...out of the mouths of babes .......
Old 01-29-2007, 09:39 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Nasty...and they wonder why you cringe when they try to kiss you....
Old 01-29-2007, 09:47 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
been searching for the dream

Originally Posted by Pick-a-name View Post
Yes; I know the smell;very heavy,sick smell that lingers.....yuck! Now that I have smelled it, I notice it from time to time in crowds now,too.

I have heard it is the alcohol seeping thru the pores (if/when the body can not process it fast enough). My AH used to sweat out a lot during the night and when he went to bed earlier than me (often),it would about hit me in the face when I opened the bedroom door.

Yes, I have noticed this sweating thing. I have not sensed this terrible smell though but maybe once kind of lingering in the bedroom. Irsh
Old 01-29-2007, 11:23 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Oh dear God yes.
"Why don't you want to make love like we used to?"

Um... because -- you stink like a distillery, dear?
Old 01-29-2007, 11:25 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Oh man... memories...
I would come home from work - he would be in the bedroom snoring away and the whole house reeked like catfood and ass....

Then he would get angry wondering why I didn't want to kiss him and make love... So he just drank more... My fault of course -
Old 01-29-2007, 11:37 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by serenityprayer View Post
Oh man... memories...
I would come home from work - he would be in the bedroom snoring away and the whole house reeked like catfood and ass....

Then he would get angry wondering why I didn't want to kiss him and make love... So he just drank more... My fault of course -

Oh,yes.....the snoring went with it,too! Before I moved to another room, I wore earplugs and positioned a pillow between us to muffle the noise and deflect the smell.....sad.

Between that, the "equipment failure" and the fact he was usually somewhere between deep sleep and passed out....."surprisingly" that was my fault,too...ha. And I still wondered "if he really had a drinking problem" haha amazing!