Notices

Friday, Day 5 - and the weekend is almost here.

Old 01-26-2007, 07:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Friday, Day 5 - and the weekend is almost here.

Here's where it gets REALLY hard. REALLY, REALLY HARD. Weekends are a bitch. My husband drinks, too, and though he's super supportive and only had a couple of beers the other night, I know how difficult it will be for him to abstain this weekend - and even harder for me because I am an alcoholic. I live in a town of about 10,000 and we only have meetings 3 X per week here and it's a small group and most of them have been sober for so long that they really don't have much to say. It almost seems more of a social time for them as they talk about their jobs and kids mostly. The last meeting I went to there were 9 or 10 of us and it lasted 28 minutes! That includes the seemingly endless and repetitive preamble, how we did it, blah, blah, blah that seems (to me) to eat up almost 10 minutes of valuable meeting time. Sorry to be such a malcontent about this, but I'm 47 and have been to AA meetings here and there for a couple of decades. Crap, I'm a mess. I'm feeling 100% better physically, but now the mind starts warping...
Old 01-26-2007, 08:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Well, what worked for me was to plan, plan, plan. If you know this weekend will be difficult plan to be doing something totally different than what you would normally do. If your husband is drinking at home, go to a movie or go shopping for awhile. If you would be socializing, decline and stay home and do something for yourself. There are hard choiced and decisions to be made to stay sober, but it so worth it.
Old 01-26-2007, 09:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Lurker

I feel for you

Weekends are a bitch for me to. It was my time to really get drunk. I just have to stay busy, and like Anna said find other things to do. My meetings are even smaller then yours 3-4 peeps. I would not feel bad for starting a conversation though. Who knows one of those long timers may be on the verge, and something you say may get them to remember what a terible disease this is.
Old 01-26-2007, 09:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
let it grow!

my daughter is about 120 days sober. she makes a list every night before she goes to bed of what she is going to do and accomplish the next day. on "tough to stay sober" days, she really sticks to it. busy and focused. hope your weekend goes well. blessings, k
Old 01-26-2007, 09:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Wow, you'd think the old timers would be all over the newbie, strange.

Weekends are no big deal for me. I was a 24x7 drinker.

Anyway, you've beento AA before > You know what has to be done. Sponsor, steps, phone calls, etc.

God Bless and Good Luck
Old 01-26-2007, 09:28 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

We have a lot of meetings in my area, but we have been known on the weekend to do road trips!!! They are a lot of fun, a car full of sober drunks heading out for a 1-2 hour drive to eat lunch some place new, go to an AA meeting BS for a while, then head off a few hours to anohter new place, eating dinner and going to another meeting, BSing and heading home!

Do you have a sponsor? You may want to pin one of the old timers down in your area and ask, she might remember what it was like being newly sober.

Next meeting you go to lay it out there on the tables that you need some help and guidance, these folks did not get sober all by their selfs.