Notices

how can I help

Old 01-21-2007, 06:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question how can I help

Hello, I am new to this forum. I just found it tonight. I used to have an addiction almost 10 years ago now. My addiction was to food. I was bulemic. Yes...binge and puke. It totally controlled my life before I got help.

But that is not what brings me here. It is my husband's addiction to alcohol and marijuana that has me searching for answers.

I can sympathise with all of you. I remember well the devestation of being controlled by addiction, but yet I do not know how to deal with or help my hubby because he does not admit his addictions.

He lies and hides it (especially the pot). I would love some input on how to help him. If anyone has any suggestions.
Old 01-21-2007, 06:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

You can do very little to help your husband, if he doesn't admit that he has a problem and wants help.

You might like to check out the Friends and Families forums on this board where you'll find lots of support and information.
Old 01-21-2007, 06:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Im not sure how to make him realize he has an addiction besides an intervention with his family and friends who know about it and may be seeing a difference in him. That would make him realize that its not just you nagging at him which is what he probably thinks at this point. Ya know the whole nagging wife doesnt want me to do anything fun syndrome that all men have. He needs to come face to face with it with more people than you. Even just 1 to 2 other people to help you confront him would be great then he would see its not just you. Once he admits it its not gonna be any easier but it will get better. With you knowing about addiction you should know that. Its gotta come from within himself. Im sure once you get him to admit hes got a problem you can take it from there. Show him how much better his life could be not dependent upon a substance take him to AA meetings and NA meetings. And just keep your head up and be supportive.....
Old 01-22-2007, 09:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
let it grow!

welcome, betterday-
do you attend alanon or naranon? i find alanon really helps me deal with my daughter in her early recovery from cocaine/alcohol. meanwhile, come on over and post on the friends and family boards. blessings, k