Notices

Second day off Percocet/Tramadol: Help!

Old 01-20-2007, 03:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Take it like a bear...

Question Second day off Percocet/Tramadol: Help!

Today ends (thank God) my second day off percocet and ultram. I told my doctors, told my partner and let the doc take it from there. Telling my primary was tough since he has been supportive in all areas of my life and even questioned whether he should give me Ultram (I got the percocet from another doc). By my primary doc stood by me. He presecribed catapres .01 mg 2X a day. With my large intake of opaites, that did little and I went crazy last night. A friend had given me some xanax ahich I never touched. So of course, I research the net and it reassures me I can take xanax to help with the incredible jolst and leg and arm twitches. Big mostake. I totally forget how many I took. And I probably od'ed on catapres, too.
Today, I'm better. I thought the arm and leg restlesess would kill me. I actually screamed. But today my doctor increased the catapres and it's minimal. I still have not slept more than two hours at a time since Wednesday night. The catapres appears to to have helped in that I have no runny nose or eyes, etc. I'm still in the midst of a xanax hangover but lucky to be alilve. I gave the xanax to my partner and he gave me 1/2 of a tab (they're the lowest mg.) this morning to assure I wouldn't have too tough a time and I took two catapres at 8 and one at 3. As of now (6:30PM EST, USA), I've taken nothing else. He just took the xanax out of the house with him.
I've dreaded this for months. It's hell. But i'm beginning to believe I can survive the withdrawal.
Now for the chilling question: is the worst almost over at 48 or so hours, or am I in for worse yet? Please, be honest.
Thanks,
Stagebear NJ
Old 01-20-2007, 03:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR- I don't have answers for you because I'm an alcoholic. Hang tight- someone will be along soon, I'm sure.

Please keep coming back!
Old 01-20-2007, 03:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Stagebear,

I am glad you're doing better and that you've made a great decision to get clean. I'm glad you have the support of your dr. That will help you a lot, as will the support of your partner. SR is a great place to come for support and information. I'm not personally familiar with what you have been taking, but I believe others will be along who can help you.
Old 01-20-2007, 11:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, StagebearNJ. Glad you're here.

No, unfortunately, the worst is not over. The first 3-7 days are the worst and then expect depression and insomnia for several weeks to several months after that. Ibuprophen, hot baths and exercise awill help a lot. You may feel like you have the flu plus a runny nose, muscle aches, restless legs, diahreah, run hot and cold, trouble sleeping and such. Keep close to good medical advice and you may find info on PAWS (post acute withdrawal symptoms) helpful. You can look here on SR or do a Google search.

The withdrawal is the first part. Do you have a program of recovery? That's what made the difference for me between stopping and STAYING stopped.

Hang in there. We're pulling for you!

Old 01-21-2007, 12:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Take it like a bear...

Thanks for the joyous news. :-)
Does this mean I'll be out of work etc. for another 7-10 days? (that's a bad thing,by the way...)
I thought today was great but now I'm back to jolting arms and legs.
I can barely see to type but thank you all for being there.
SB
Old 01-21-2007, 03:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
twingram

Tough love!!

Stagebear,first I want to tell you that I am not judging you in any way cause I have been there,but, if you are getting Xanax off of someone and using that in place of your other drugs then you are not going to get better and you are only making things harder for yourself! If your doctor thought Xanax would be helpful to you I would think he would have prescribed it! There is no easy way off of drugs,it is uncomfortable and painful ,but,it eventually gets better. I know this is no comfort to you right now and I wish you well. Please love yourself enough to get better and be honest about everything because that is the only way out. You are not going to die from being uncomfortable and miserable for a couple weeks...go to work and go about you daily life even if it is hard, let your doctor help you and I promise you that you will get better every day.
Old 01-21-2007, 03:45 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

There's a part of me that shouts! But the other 99% yells even louder! I love you! We hang in there! I'm new here and need your help. Stick around, my friend! Don't quit! Don't you forget me, I'm new here but I've been lurking! Don't quit!
Old 01-21-2007, 05:16 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

When things go wrong, as they sometimes will,
When the road you're trudging seems all up hill,
When the funds are low and the debts are high,
And you want to smile, but you have to sigh,
When care is pressing you down a bit,
Rest if you must, but don't you quit.

Life is queer with its twists and turns,
As everyone of us sometimes learns,
And many a failure turns about
When he might have won had he stuck it out;
Don't give up, though the pace seems slow -
You might succeed with another blow.

Often the goal is nearer than
It seems to a faint and faltering man,
Often the struggler has given up
When he might have captured the victor's cup.
And he learned too late, when the night slipped down,
How close he was to the golden crown.

Success is failure turned inside out -
The silver tint of the clouds of doubt -
And you never can tell how close you are,
It may be near when it seems afar;
So stick to the fight when you're hardest hit -
It's when things seem worst that you mustn't quit.
Old 01-21-2007, 12:27 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Take it like a bear...

Day three...

Originally Posted by twingram View Post
Stagebear,first I want to tell you that I am not judging you in any way cause I have been there,but, if you are getting Xanax off of someone and using that in place of your other drugs then you are not going to get better and you are only making things harder for yourself!
You are absolutely right. If you note in my post, I said I had my partner remove the xanax from the apartment. I don't feel judged. I didn't come here to be coddled. Thanks for the straight talk.
SBear
Old 01-21-2007, 12:32 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Take it like a bear...

Still day three...

Originally Posted by twingram View Post
You are not going to die from being uncomfortable and miserable for a couple weeks...go to work and go about you daily life even if it is hard, let your doctor help you and I promise you that you will get better every day.
I also meant to note that I thank you for this part, too. I called my doctor (on a Sunday, yet) and she gave me a prescription for Requip for the restless legs. I guess more drugs to get off drugs is a bad idea to some, and I get that, But I need to sleep.
I am taking off one more day of work, just because I am so lethargic. But I'm hoping to get a bit of sleep soon.
My thanks to everyone here!
Stagebear