Notices

Hi so overwhelmed

Old 01-18-2007, 09:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi so overwhelmed

I've been lurking here for awhile just trying to come up with someone to say. I know how to introduce myself a fan site, but when it comes fown to actually talking about me my brain stops working. Well lets see I'm just a fun prize pack full of addiction. Substances obviously, alcohol being the big one. Then self injury and bulimia are somewhere in there. I went to my first AA meeting last night, and the decided to give it my all so I went again tonight. Both times I thought I was about to **** myself I wos so nervous. I didn't say a word either time, just watched and listened, I printed out the big book and I'm reading it. But ******* a I am overwhelmed.
Old 01-18-2007, 09:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Yes...starting a new healthy life is daunting
but exciting and worthwhile!

Congratulations!
Welcome to SR
Old 01-18-2007, 09:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Victory is mine!

Glad that you are here!

It can be overwhelming but that is because it is new not because it isn't achievable.

Hang in there, keep going to meetings, reading the literature and reading and posting here.

Scott
Old 01-18-2007, 10:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

hi double v,

how are ya doin?

Overwhelming, yeah, i can relate. I didnt get better overnight, but i got better.. One day at a time.

a fun prize pack, huh??? lol... like your sense of humor...
Old 01-19-2007, 02:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good Morning DoubleV,

I think we all were scared the first few times going to an AA meeting.
Try just saying that you are nervous but need phone numbers. Call some people when you get home. If you can not talk yet, OK just keep going to AA and Please keep posting.
Old 01-19-2007, 07:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
let it grow!

hello doublev,

my daughter (over 100 days clean and sober) felt the same way about recovery - overwhelmed. then, she figured out just to take it one day at a time. and things got a bit simplier for her. she went through rehab, and is now in a halfway house going to aa meetings and getting some private counseling. please take good care of yourself. blessings, k
Old 01-19-2007, 09:15 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone. Yet again I have no clue what to say, just thank you. The commitment is what I think is getting to me the most. I make a decision and it lasts for a week.
Old 01-19-2007, 09:22 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi DoubleV and Welcome,

You have taken a great step by coming here to SR.

You will find lots of inspiration if you read around the boards and there's lots of support here too.
Old 01-19-2007, 09:48 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

DoubleV you have made a decision that if you follow through with it will slowly lead you to a far happier life of sobriety.

When you go to your next meeting show up a little earlier and try just to introduce yourself to someone that looks like you would be okay talking to, that could be someone your age or maybe someone a lot older like a father or grandfather.

I would stick with someone of the same sex as you to start with. Ask about what a sponsor is and develop a network of folks you can call and just talk to, ask questions, do the same thing after the meeting.

For a new comer sometimes the most important meetings are the before the meeting meeting and the after the meeting meeting! I know that you can find life long friends who are also sober and know what it is like in AA.

Just remember if you keep going back eventually if you work at it, the miracle will come. I know it is over whelming, I remember just being sober and dealing with reality after 40 years of drinking was over whelming, going to meetings scared the hell out of me, but I wanted to stay sober and was willing to do anything to stay that way.

Hang in there, it gets better every day you are sober, simply deal with today, there is not a darn thing you can do to change yesterday and no need to worry about tomorrow until it arrives and then it will be today.
Old 01-19-2007, 01:33 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I have a question. Do you ever just start to wonder what the **** has happened to you? I'm starting to wonder who I'm becoming, going to meetings it just feels uncomfortable and like I'm a faker. Even though I know in my head that I'm not, I just feel like I'm a tourist almost.