My Story

Old 01-11-2007, 07:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My Story

I have been married to my AH for 14 years. I met him in a bar and so on. I was the designated driver for 10 of these 14 years. I started going to Al-Anon because I knew I needed help for me (Iwanted to find myself again). I had lost myself for about 6 of those 10 years. I had low self-esteem, I had no LAUGHTER in my heart, and I sure didn't LOVE myself! But that all started to change - when I started to attend meetings twice a week. It also helped me get thru my AH's second DUI (which is when he seriously got sober).

I have detached with love from him. I have started to get my self-esteem back (just by writing this out for people to read), I work my program to the best of my ability. I found the LAUGHTER that I didn't have for so long. And I know that by taking care of myself I can love myself.

My favorite saying that reflects my life right now is:

Just when the caterpilller thought it's life was over, It became a Butterfly!

And somedays I feel like that butterfly with no worries except what I need to worry about.

After awhile I started looking at what my kids needed to get help too. (I already knew the impact dad's drinking had had on my kids lives.) So, I took three of my kids(14,12,10) to an Alateen meeting. Then I decided to become an Alateen sponsor and started a meeting for all kids (6-?). (My youngest one is 6 and couldn't go to the other meeting.) The impact on them and the wisdom they now have a year later is amazing. They will remind me of slogans and such when they see me get aggravated (I slip maybe once every other month now - compared to every minute of the day).

I have found so many things that I didn't realize I had in my possession. My laughter for one. I feel so much better then I did that first summer night meeting I went to 3 years ago.

Thanks for reading this. Thanks for caring. Thanks for just being there!
Old 01-11-2007, 07:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
let it grow!

i just met you, and i already admire you. thank you for sharing your experience, strength, and hope. please keep posting, your service is outstanding! blessings, k
Old 01-11-2007, 09:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing, angel. Your story is a perfect example of the changes which can occur around us when we change ourselves.

((()))
Old 01-11-2007, 09:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Nothing more beautiful then Recovery in action and lives put back together.

Thank you
Old 01-11-2007, 09:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

(((Hugs to you)))
Old 01-11-2007, 11:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Your story is very moving, I admire you for getting help for your kids, you are a terrific mother and should be proud of that. It's good you have the support of your children to get thought each day. I spent too many years drinking alongside my AH, I feel guilty for that, but knew when it was time to step up and be a good mother. I have found a great church that has given me tremendous support and wonderful people for my girls to hang out with. It's also great for your self esteem to meet new people. Continue laughing and live one day at a time.
Old 01-11-2007, 01:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

thanks for sharing....beautiful!
Old 01-11-2007, 01:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
cmc

Thank you for sharing your experience, strength and hope! I'm so happy for you and what you shared will help many who read it.
Keep coming back!
Old 01-11-2007, 07:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You are the champion!!!!