Notices

Day 10 and terried

Old 01-10-2007, 01:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 10 and terried

Hi all. I am on day ten, and we found out yesterday that my father has cancer. I am mortified. We are all so close, and he is so young (50). His brother found out he had cancer in the fall of 2005 and he passed away in Feb. 2006. Two months later, his sister found out that she had cancer, and it is spreading faster than what they can keep up with. Now my father has it. I went with him to the doctor to get the results, and was dying for a drink all day. I didn't have one, because I knew it would not help the situation. I just want to be there for my family, and be sober while dealing with all of this. It's so hard to do though, once you become to drowning out your feelings with alcohol any time you feel something you don't want to feel. I am committed to staying sober, but am terrified at the same time.
Old 01-10-2007, 01:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sober and Free

Originally Posted by **** ma View Post
Hi all. I am on day ten, and we found out yesterday that my father has cancer. I am mortified. We are all so close, and he is so young (50). His brother found out he had cancer in the fall of 2005 and he passed away in Feb. 2006. Two months later, his sister found out that she had cancer, and it is spreading faster than what they can keep up with. Now my father has it. I went with him to the doctor to get the results, and was dying for a drink all day. I didn't have one, because I knew it would not help the situation. I just want to be there for my family, and be sober while dealing with all of this. It's so hard to do though, once you become to drowning out your feelings with alcohol any time you feel something you don't want to feel. I am committed to staying sober, but am terrified at the same time.
You have the right idea down! Drinking will not help you to be there for your family, it will take you away. Go to meetings, talk to people, keep posting here. Stay away from temtation, and fight the urge by thinking how you cant be there for your family if your drunk, you can't be strong through this if your drunk, you can't be in the present if your drunk ... and you know what? If you don't take that first drink, you can't get drunk.

PM me any time you want. I am sorry and will light a candle for your father.
Old 01-10-2007, 02:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am sorry and will light a candle for your father

I've heard a lot of people share about their trials and tribulations that always seem to hit in early recovery.

Hang in there. Brandi gave some excellent advice.
Old 01-10-2007, 02:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Hope3

I am so sorry for your situation. My lovers father died 1 year ago tommorrow of cancer. However depending on the diagnosis, the medical profession has come along way with treatments and outlooks for cancer patients.

I only hope they caught it in time to be able to give him the best possible outcome. Over the last year my lover also was diagnosed with breast cancer and we are very fortunate to have the ability to fight this dreadful disease with the latest of treatment options.

If there is a book, or any questions that you have on where to find good and updated information on different types of cancer and treatments feel free to PM me, i will be glad to point you in the right direction if I can.

God bless your family, and you're right they really do need you now, and sober would be the greatest of help, LOL, best wishes Hope3.
Old 01-11-2007, 02:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Prayers going out for your Dad
Mega Hugs for you
Old 01-11-2007, 03:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I,m Sorry.

You have the right attitude, drinking is not going to cure his canceer. Staying sober will help everyone especially yourself.

My prayers and thoughts are with you, stay with us.
Old 01-11-2007, 07:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Hang in there **** ma. I lost my mother to lung cancer when she was only 50... so I know how it is to have a parent die at such a young age. It's hard, and it sucks... but you do have the strength to get through it. Don't drink, that won't change anything. Be sober for you... and your father. You won't regret staying sober during this difficult time.
Old 01-11-2007, 07:07 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

****, I am so sorry that you and your family are going through this. It's obviously a stressful situation.

But, as you said, drinking will only make things worse and if you get through this, you will be stronger for it.

Stay sober and be there for your Dad. That's the best you can do.
Old 01-11-2007, 09:31 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry for your family. I did go thru the exact same thing. My stepfather died of cancer back in Jan of 2005. I was sober at the time and was there for my family. Words cannot describe what that meant to them and myself..

No matter how much you want to drink over the ups and downs of life...just don't do it! The best thing you can do right now is stay sober and be a part of this process..and it will be painful.

God Bless and good luck on your journey..
Old 01-11-2007, 11:02 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

thank you for all of your responses. I'm so sorry for those of you who have already gone through something like this. I will stay sober, and get through this like an adult...
Old 01-11-2007, 12:48 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

**** ma- Unfortunately I also know exactly what you are going through. Daddys are very special.. Stay true to yourself and come share with us often. Let us know how we can help. I'm around if you want to pm me about it.