Notices

Learning to Use the Phone

Old 01-10-2007, 04:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Sober and Free

Learning to Use the Phone

At my meeting last night, the chair made mention of learning to use the phone. He talked about taking that phone list they gave out and calling people on it when he *didn't* need it, so that when he *did* need it, it as easier. He said it was awkard and strange at first, but he called people as suggested and said, "Hi, my name is ________, I'm new, and I'm learning to use the phone"

I dont use my phone lists so much, this idea never occured to me. Does anyone else use their lists like this? I thought it was a good idea.
Old 01-10-2007, 04:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Not a bad idea. Maybe I will use that next time I chair a meeting.
Old 01-10-2007, 06:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

I've always thought the phone lists were important...not just for the one making the call, but perhaps for the one on the other end. Maybe, you are just practicing using the phone...but, you never know if the other person is having a really bad time, and your call could mean the difference between them doing something foolish or not.
Old 01-10-2007, 08:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BrandiK View Post
I dont use my phone lists so much, this idea never occured to me. Does anyone else use their lists like this? I thought it was a good idea.
Yup!

I use the tools of AA when I *don't* need to, so that they are there when I *do* need them. I make calls to my sponsor and people in recovery every day. I definitely had to practice this - isolation, not reaching out, is my normal mode of behavior. Using the phone is a great way to get connected and I have never, ever had anyone be anything other than happy I called. Even if it is just a 2 minute hello, how are you call.

Great post, Brandi. Keep going to those meetings and sharing here!

Old 01-10-2007, 10:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

Well, I've heard AA called "Spiritual Kindergarten" and the idea that it's one alcoholic helping another -- not one alcoholic coming in and being given a list of doctors, clergy, psychiatrists and 911! to solve their problem -- is a very spiritual idea to me, so "Hi, I'm learning to use the phone!" sounds like a very apropos way of doing it! I like it!

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 01-10-2007, 11:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Absolutely Brandi!!!!!

When I got sober, the meetings didn't have phone lists, however, my sponsor strongly suggested that I get the phone numbers of LOTS of the women I met in meetings, put those phone numbers on the inside front cover of my Big Book and to get into the habit of calling these women.

"Huh???" She responded that if I was in the habit of calling them when I wasn't in need, it would be much easier for me to pick up the phone and call when I was in need. Made sense, so I put it into practice.

Today my phone list is World Wide, lol. I get and place calls all over the world to others in recovery. It is truly BECOME A SMALL WORLD, lol.

Learn to use that phone Brandi, it can be and is your "Life Line" to continued Recovery.

Thank you for starting this thread, what a GREAT TOPIC!!!!

Love and hugs,
Old 01-10-2007, 11:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
let it grow!

great advice for us alanoners too! thank you! k
Old 01-10-2007, 12:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

I'll admit it....I'm not much for picking up the phone until I'm hurting bad enough to do it. And I've never had the "rule" that a sponsee call me every day -- I suggest it, but I never pushed it.

One of my sponsees figured this out all on her own. It was so very cool. She's 29, but she looks like she's about 18, so when she tells other newcomers (especially the younger ones) that she does this and it works, it carries a lot more weight than when some of us more weathered types do it

Peace & Love,
Sugah