Did I say the right thing?

Old 01-09-2007, 02:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Chaotically Peaceful

Did I say the right thing?

My DH and I just celebrated 7 years of marriage yesterday. When we went to dinner, the topic turned to his drinking and thoughts on recovery. DH told me that he was scared of sobriety because he didn't know what friends he would have left (as they all drink...to excess) and what he would do for fun, as all of the activities he does with his "friend" revolve heavily around drinking (I tend to feel that drinking is always the primary activity with various peripheral activities occurring...1 hour of softball...5 hours of drinking in the parking lot, etc).

I told him that MY answers to those questions are: of course you'll have friends and of course you can still golf and fish and hunt and play softball with them. You just won't drink while you are doing it. But, I told him that my answers won't work for him, as I am not an alcoholic. I went on to say that only through connecting with other people who have been/are in his position can he begin to find his own answers.

I ended by telling him that I love him very much and hope that we find ourselves celebrating 8 years of marriage next year, but that unless he really works toward finding those answers for himself, there is a strong chance that we won't be. He nodded, we changed the subject and went on to have a very nice evening.

I have to tell you that it felt so foreign not to be preaching at him and dwelling on the specific events that led up to the latest crisis. Am I on the right track here? Because it feels pretty good.
Old 01-09-2007, 03:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SKW View Post
My DH and I just celebrated 7 years of marriage yesterday. When we went to dinner, the topic turned to his drinking and thoughts on recovery. DH told me that he was scared of sobriety because he didn't know what friends he would have left (as they all drink...to excess) and what he would do for fun, as all of the activities he does with his "friend" revolve heavily around drinking (I tend to feel that drinking is always the primary activity with various peripheral activities occurring...1 hour of softball...5 hours of drinking in the parking lot, etc).

I told him that MY answers to those questions are: of course you'll have friends and of course you can still golf and fish and hunt and play softball with them. You just won't drink while you are doing it. But, I told him that my answers won't work for him, as I am not an alcoholic. I went on to say that only through connecting with other people who have been/are in his position can he begin to find his own answers.

I ended by telling him that I love him very much and hope that we find ourselves celebrating 8 years of marriage next year, but that unless he really works toward finding those answers for himself, there is a strong chance that we won't be. He nodded, we changed the subject and went on to have a very nice evening.

I have to tell you that it felt so foreign not to be preaching at him and dwelling on the specific events that led up to the latest crisis. Am I on the right track here? Because it feels pretty good.
First off, CONGRATULATIONS on your anniversary!

To me, it sounds like you handled the situation quite well. After all, what other answers could you possibly give to the questions you were asked?

If you had a very nice evening and you are feeling good about how you responded, not preaching, etc. then I'd say that:

YES, you are on the right track.
Old 01-09-2007, 06:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Acting not reacting

I think you did just fine SKW!
Happy Belated Anniversary!
Old 01-09-2007, 06:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

OHHHHH YES

I think you did beautifully..... that is what recovery is about. Its not the preaching and anger.... its the quiet moments of love and pain that define the relationship.

I soooooo hope you get 8 years.
Old 01-09-2007, 08:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I definately think you are on the right track. Sounds wonderful how you handled it and what you said. Good deal, and congrats to you!
Old 01-10-2007, 06:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Detachment with love - you nailed it!
Good for you!