$25,000.00 +

Old 01-03-2007, 11:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

$25,000.00 +

I just did the calculation... and for one year my ABF and I spent over $25,000 on alcohol alone. Not including the few cruises and trips we have taken racking up $1,500.00 bills at the bars. This is disgusting! We talked about the fact that some families live off of what we spent on drinking in one year. This is truly sick, and very sad.

No Wonder why I couldn't figure out, 'where all the money was going.' maybe now we can save some more for things we need, and donate more each year.

I just hope the detox and therapy, AA meetings all work for him. He seems to be very positive about recovering right now. He's almost out of detox, so the next step to therapy may be hard for him. But, He's looking forward to being healthy.
Old 01-03-2007, 11:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Rinnie's Grandpa

Welcome to SR Maggie...

The insanity of alcohol addiction...

Best of luck to you both...

One day at a time...

Steve

Old 01-03-2007, 12:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR....

Holy my Gosh... that is alot of money to spend on Alcohol!

Im glad that he is excited about his recovery though, have you given some thought to your own recovery?
Old 01-03-2007, 12:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I see a new solvent future for the two of you!

Welcome to SR!
Old 01-03-2007, 12:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Acting not reacting

Hey Maggie12,
Glad you found us! Lots of nice people here who can really relate to living with an alcoholic. I remember looking at my checkbook and just not understanding how we spent as much money as we did, so I can relate! Thats great that your boyfriend is excited about his recovery! How are you feeling about his coming home?
Old 01-03-2007, 12:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
cmc

Welcome to SR, Maggie! I'm so glad you found us and hope to see you come by again soon. What you stand to gain by finding recovery will more than make up for the loss of $25,000. It's literally priceless. Thanks for sharing.
Old 01-03-2007, 02:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I don't even make that amount of money in a year! (I tell the kid's I'm frugal, they think I'm cheap! lol)

If he knows how much the alcohol tab is - how about suggesting putting that money aside so that you can do something really super with it next year? Sort of like an anniversary of his sobriety/recovery. May help keep him motivated too as he will have something to look forward too? Just a thought.
(If you do that though, I'd definately keep that money in an account with MY name on it only to lesson the chance of a great big binge in a time of weakness. I maybe shouldn't have said that here, but it's how I feel)