Notices

My First Sober New Years

Old 01-03-2007, 09:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My First Sober New Years

Yesterday my better half asked, "what was it like to make it through your first New Years Eve in 20 years without a drink"? That can't possibly be true? 20 years? WOW!!

Anyway, Happy 2007 everybody!

It's actually been quite remarkable at how easy it's been to stop drinking. With the exception of about 3 restless nights I haven't looked back. It's such a joy to wake up in the morning. I have no desire for alcohol and on those rare occasions I think about it, it's only with disgust and contempt for what it robbed me of and could have potentially done to my life.

I've wondered a few times why it's been so easy to walk away from something that was such a consuming part of my life and I'm guessing that (1) I gave myself an ultimatum that I would either walk away from my family or the bottle, (2) I was most recently a binge drinker so I had experience going without alcohol for periods of time and (3) I have so many professional & personal goals that I'm determined to achieve & alcohol would only prevent them.

I also recognize my sober self as my higher power which gives me a tremendous amount of strength and comfort. As long as I'm sober I have faith that everything will be all right.

I'll continue to check the board every now and then and try to contribute if possible. I just want to thank everybody for being so welcoming and providing so much information and support. From firsthand experience, you are truly a generous lot. Again Happy 2007 and best wishes for a wonderful and sober year!

Mark
Old 01-03-2007, 10:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats. Aint it cool? I just did my 2nd New Years in a row clean.
Old 01-03-2007, 10:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
That's great, Mark! This was my second NYE sober and was even better than last year. Happy 2007 to you also.
Old 01-03-2007, 07:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
ONE

Hey Mark,

That is great news! I am in my 4th month of sobriety and I can identify with alot of what you wrote. I too am still suprised at the ease of quitting.

I guess being "stubborn" has its advantages....When I was drinking, nobody and nothing could make me stop after the first few drinks. Now that I have chosen to stop drinking NOBODY and NOTHING could make me start.

If I chose alcohol in my life - there is so much other stuff I could miss out on. If I chose not to have alcohol in my life - then thats all I'll miss. 4 months in - and I ain't missing it one bit.

1). Don't pick up the first drink.
2). One day at time.
3). Keep going to meetings.

K.I.S.S.

Christian.
Old 01-03-2007, 07:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

What good news Mark!
Old 02-10-2007, 12:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Just wanted to thank you for your messages here and the private messages some of you have sent.

I don't think about alcohol anymore which is the reason I haven't been around very much. Things have been going very well. The job is outstanding, my relationship has improved tremendously and I'm doing the things I always talked about doing but never actually did. I love life!

I went the non-traditional route and decided against AA or any type of organized group, which in my case, was the right decision. I think being surrounded by people talking about alcohol would not have been beneficial for me. To each her/his own!

I've been reading posts from newbies and am going to send some PM's. In the early days that really helped me a lot to know that somebody took the time to read what I had to write and care enough to respond.

Please keep up the great work everybody. Your kindness and generosity impacts the lives of so many people who read this forum.

Remember, it's not the method by which you quit, it's that you quit!

(P.S. I just noticed my sobriety date. LOL, wow, has it been that long? That's crazy!!)