Notices

she might be alcoholic... im worried about my mom

Old 01-03-2007, 01:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

she might be alcoholic... im worried about my mom

my parents drink--this is nothing new / ive always known this; but its only been recently that i've sort of realized how much... im not sure how to feel about it. i feel really stupid at the moment and i'm not sure why.

alcohol has always been a part of my family's life. it just has. it's always been around, and always been a factor in almost everything. so here i am, thinking this is normal--- is it? i really don't know. it seems like my mom has been getting drunk more often lately. at least once a week --but she always seems to be ... tipsy? and i don't know if im overreacting. now don't get me wrong, neither parent is abusive. they just act stupid / are annoying? i don't know. i don't like being around them when they are... and i've been avoiding being at home a lot lately.

i would have never expected either of them to ever drive under the influence; both parents have always been really good about that. but i know of at least two instances in november that she has ... and both of those she was picking me from a friend's place--- but i didn't really realize it until halfway through the ride home until i asked her.

it seems she drinks so often, i don't know if she's acting any differently or if this is just how she is. i mean if nothing has changed, then is anything wrong? or have things been wrong for so long that i don't remember when things changed?
my dad has told her that she drinks too much... but then my dad drinks a lot too ---- so she dismisses it as hypocritical and i don't have enough experience to know the difference...

does everyone have alcohol every night? or a couple in the morning? or just throughout the day // whenever that person's not at work?

i just don't know anymore.
Old 01-03-2007, 03:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
ndgrace

I am so sorry, I can remember that feeling when I was a teen. I did not know there were families functioning without daily alcohol. I wish I had gone to Al anon or some other support at the time. There is a link on this site to families with problems.
I went on to become that parent, and have been sober 6 months. Only your parents can decide if they are alcoholics or not, but you can get help for yourself.
Old 01-03-2007, 02:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

. Thank you.

I mean it.
Old 01-04-2007, 11:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
On a tear

Welcome, Namelessly.

I am an adult child of alcholics. What I have learned as an adult, is that alcoholism is progressive. Whatever they are doing today is probably better than how they may behave a year from now.

How much she is drinking really doesn't matter... because nothing (and I mean NOTHING!!) you can do will change that.

I remember clearly riding in the camper shell on the back of my dad's pickup and pouring mom's booze out the tailgate while he drove us on vacation... because I didn't want her drinking to interfere with our vacation. But it didn't matter, she just took more of the vacation money to buy more booze.

I tried Alateen (for only a short time), and at the time it gave me EXACTLY what I needed. They convinced me that I was not responsible for my mom and dad. That was a big thing for me back then.

I hope you can find some Alateen meetings in your area. If you cannot, try Alanon or ACOA meetings... both would be beneficial to you.

You can deal with this - it won't be fun, and it won't be easy, but you can do it. Keep posting and letting us know how you are doing. LOTS of folks here care about you.

((((hugs))))
Old 01-04-2007, 12:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yup, I've poured my Moms booze down the drain too. And, when I was in the cups of my drinking, my children found mine and poured it.

BigSis gives some good advice. I'd listen to it.