Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Alcoholics
Reload this Page >

Planning to relocate - anybody here from the Wash. DC or Baltimore areas?

Old 01-01-2007, 05:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I have decided I want to go home, if that is humanly possible. That will be up to the judge and my attorney. It takes $$ to relocate from Arizona to Maryland! However, I am going to keep a positive frame of mind here. I've been away from Maryland for 18 months. I lived in Annapolis for the past 20 years.

I am going to take a shot at getting re-employed by the teachers' union I worked for, but I need to get the skinny on how things look rent-wise, housing-wise, cost-of-living-wise. The economy has had a downturn in some areas of the country, but D.C. has always had the government to count on. Still, I would love to hear from any of you East Coaster's on employment opportunities and any other information you want to throw my way.

P.S. - For those of you who live elsewhere and think where you live is great as far as housing and employment and culture/recreation, please throw in your two cents! I'm willing to keep an open mind as to where I go ...

WITH THE EXCEPTION OF THE WEST COAST - Sorry, but I will NEVER get used to football games starting before 11 a.m.!!!! LOL!!!
Old 01-01-2007, 05:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

hey prodigal, while you're waiting :-) i thought of something else. craig's list in those areas will give you a good idea on some things. here's d.c.'s link:
http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/
Old 01-01-2007, 05:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

Is Annapolis where you want to be? If so, why don't you log onto to Craig's List (www.craigsList.com), choose Maryland, then go to the classified section (apartments/housing for rent). Don't know if it's known nationally, but here in the Washington, DC metro area, Craig's List is the go-to site for information on just about anything, including online dating (hint-hint).

Edit: Well, there were no replies when I first started typing this, but I see Denny beat me to it. If only I could be more succint, but it seems that I'm overly chatty even online.
Old 01-01-2007, 07:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks so much to both of you!! I will go to this site just after I get my final dose of "The Twilight Zone" marathonon Sci-Fi. Watch it every year on New Year's and it is THE BEST!!! I realize we are here to support one another; this is NOT a networking site, but I am just asking for help. The more help and SUPPORT I get, the better!

I need support - not to deal with AH, because that is something I can do - I just need support to regain my confidence in my own abilities to hold a job, manage a home, etc. If I don't get more replies, I am going to start another thread.

Hey, I need support but in a different way. However, I think lots of folks here have had to re-locate, get a job, open a new bank account, line up new doctors, live in a halfway decent apt. bldg. that doesn't include LOUD tenants, etc.

HELP!!! P.S. - And I truly appreciate it!
Old 01-01-2007, 08:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Prodie, I think "support" means any type of support you seek. Not just the "atta girls." Also check out the job listings on Craig'sList and the "Codies Seeking Non-Addicts" section...just kidding.
Old 01-01-2007, 08:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Prodigal,

What i did when I had to up and move out of L.A. with no warning was to call the al-anon office here in Vegas where I was offered a job. They told me where the best meetings were at. I took a quick trip out here before the final move, and I went to three meetings a day, got everybody's phone numbers and spoke at every single meeting telling 'em what was going on with me.

In just two days I was told where there were good apartments, where to get cheap furniture, clothes, which way to drive during the commute. They even started offering me extra furniture they had in their garages.

All with just _one_ phone call to the al-anon office.

http://www.al-anon.alateen.org/meetings/maryland.html

Mike
p.s. I'm going to miss you, Phoenix won't be the same without you
Old 01-01-2007, 08:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey Prod,
I think that asking for others experience on starting your life over in a new place is exactly what we're here for. It's all interrelated, not to mention that we're all friends! When I recently moved out, I did not move across country. I only moved 60 miles away, but there were definitely a lot of changes. As far as the bank account....you could try opening up one where you are currently at a national bank (Bank of America or Wells Fargo or something). That way it's ready now and not something you have to take care of upon moving. One thing that I did was get an apartment locator on the prowl for me. My first day looking, I must have driven to every corner of my new town. I was exhausted and didn't find "it." I don't know how every state is, but in Texas under the real estate laws, it's a free service to the looker to hire a locator (the complex pays them a referral fee). I met up with my guy, and he listened to what I needed. All of the complexes send them their monthly leasing specials, so he knew where the deals were. We made a list of about 5 or 6 to look at, and when we got to the very first one he wanted to show me, I knew on the spot it was exactly what I wanted.

That's about all I can offer up for now, but I would love to share experiences if you have any specific questions.

Oh, and I personally think you should move to Texas. We're friendly, nice people, it's warm in the winter, and our economy is much more stable than that of the coasts. People are flocking here, and they are consistently amazed at how much house they can buy for their money.
Good luck!
Old 01-01-2007, 08:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Plus you forgot to mention all that fabulous Tex-Mex food. Yum. See, it's ALWAYS on my mind....
Old 01-01-2007, 08:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I had the same experience as Mike when I moved
from D.C. to Fl. and again to Ga.

I found my new AA friends had all the scoop.

As you have lived in Annapolis...;; look south...
you will find St. Mary's Co. is less expensive.
Leonardtown..Lexington Park..Ridge all possibilities.

I love D.C...miss the heck out of it..but it's no
place to raise a child. IMO

I sold my furniture rather than pay to
move it. I do not know how to drive with a
U Haul trailer full of things and my car was
not large.
It was no problem to get more when I found
a place.
Old 01-02-2007, 09:25 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

LOL, Carol, you should have seen me with my Uhaul truck!!! I know I must have looked pretty funny driving that stupid, big old thing! But I got that Uhaul, loaded it up, and moved every last item up three flights of stairs by myself (with a neighbor taking pity on me with the couch and bed). It was liberating!!! I was exhausted, but it was something I did!

And yes, FD, the food is to DIE for!!!!!! Hmmmmm....must have enchiladas for lunch.....
Old 01-05-2007, 02:44 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Prodigal, you know I live in Delaware where there is no sales tax. I am a licensed Real Estate secretary and prices are coming down. I'm not sure about the Annapolis area but you can find some Maryland homes on www.dpol.com.