Notices

Relapse Control

Old 01-01-2007, 12:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Relapse Control

Hello, I am new to this site, I am a 24 year living far from home, I am addicted to cocaine and alcohol, I have been in and out of sobriety for a year now I keep trying to quit and I am unsuccessful a month here a month there and then all of a sudden before I know it my life is fallling apart again, this is with alcohol, with I was off it for 9 months and last night i got drunk and sat in my truck all night doing cocaine, My girlfriend was devastated and has left me, which i can understand because she has stuck by me through 6 years of dissapointments. I know i am headed for a big disaster I have fineally gotten to where i want to be and it is all gonna fall apart if i can't do something now. I am losing faith in myself. I used to be a strong person now i feel like giving up because It seems i will never beat it

Please any tips or help would be greatly appreciated
thank you,
Far From Home
Old 01-01-2007, 12:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

You cannot give up and give in because this disease will take everything if you let it.

It seems like things are getting worse because the disease of addiction is progressive. You can stop now and we're here to offer support and information. Take a look around the boards and keep posting.
Old 01-01-2007, 12:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Im not crazy and neither am I

i would say detox and loads of meetings if not a inpatient stay if necessary
Im in your shoes 8 years and agf left sunday before thanksgiving
had i cleaned up I wouldnt be where I am now
take the opportunity while not in a relationship to focus on yourself and recovery - that is what I am doing
-best
Old 01-01-2007, 12:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

How do you do it?

I need to know how to stay sober, I have been drinking heavily since I was 12 years old I have been trying to stop since I was 17, I have had many near death experiences and I keep coming back, I have tryed AA and RR, prayed, moved across the country. I need to know how to be sober all I know is drinking all my friends are drinkers and don't understand Alcoholism, My whole family are alcoholics and i've seen there lives fall apart, I just want to be sober and stay sober for longer than a month and it hurts to feel this powerless over my life
Old 01-01-2007, 12:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

In my opinion, you need to make changes that keep you sober. Stopping drinking is the beginning of the journey. I made changes in my daily routines and make specific plans to be doing something else at the time I would be drinking. I stopped seeing people that weren't helpful to me in my recovery. You can do it. Many of us tried countless times.
Old 01-01-2007, 02:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

I have tryed AA and RR, prayed, moved across the country. I need to know how to be sober all I know is drinking all my friends are drinkers...
The move was what we call "a geographic cure"...it doesn't work...because no matter where you go, you take yourself with you.

You say you "tried AA"...but, did you really work it!?! AA tells us, "If you want what we have, and are willing to go to any lengths to get it, then you are ready to take certain steps." Referring, of course, to the 12 Steps of AA...the only way I know of to get/stay sober...I cannot recommend any other method, because it's the only one I ever tried...but, 27 years after the fact, I do know it worked for me.

As young as you are, I'm sure you don't want to hear this from an old fogey...but, you may have to detach from those old drinking buddies, if you ever want to get sober. Give AA another chance...but, wholeheartedly this time...it may very well mean the difference between life and death for you.
Old 01-01-2007, 03:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
The truth shall set you free

Hi farfromhome

My name is Ivan and I am a grateful recovering addict

I feel your pain.

Thirty two months ago I was asking the same question.

A wonderful member from here Sober Recovery, she is no longer with us… said to me.

Timebuster I don’t hear surrender… when are you going to surrender to this diseases.

That question was my wake up call.

Thirty two months has passed and now am asking you now the same question.

When are you going to surrender to this dise-ases ?…

It was suggested to me to read the first step of ether the AA or NA book.

Step one…. Am powerless and my life has become unmanageable.

NA is my foundation..

It was also ask of me… To what length I was willing to go to recover from this horrible diseases.

Yes farfromhome… I said to any length.

So now I am going to ask you the same question?...

Peace and Love
Ivan
Old 01-02-2007, 04:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

thank you

thank you timebuster,
The more advice i get from people like you who are successful
the more I can find something to help me do it
Old 01-02-2007, 05:20 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

To what length?
1/1/07- My 36 yr old cousin dies froma brain aneurysm
My ex-g/f with whom I thought we were trying to work things out
gets together with her old ex.

That was yesterday, and I only had 16 days. I called mom (yes I'm a mommas boy, she also delivered the news of my cousin.

I now have 17 days, why I chose not to drink called my sponsor and got my a@@ to a meeting. Went to a noon meeting today broke down and laid my pain on the table, in the process not only did I stay sober but 10 members stayed sober because of my pain.

I am having to move out of my house that I truly love, because of the ghosts waslking around. She and I rented it together) As a matter of fact I am having to move to a neighboring town with an AA friend of mine for my own sanity. This is a temp move till I get some healing and several more steps done.

What lengths are YOU willing to go to, I've showed you what I'm willing to do, because for me to drink is to DIE.

Scot
Old 01-02-2007, 06:37 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

If you thoroughly work the steps in Narcotics Anonymous and keep working them its impossible to relapse.
Old 01-09-2007, 08:53 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

8 Days

It has been 8 days I have made it through a tough weekend but things are looking up scot I know its hard to believe i know exactly what you are going through, I have been driving around for the last week saying to myself why
cant I just be like everyone else then i realized I am everyone has faults and everyone has things that hold them back I am Luck I don't have alcohol holding me back now, I have sobriety to push me forward
Old 01-10-2007, 03:36 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Good for you..now...
start back to AA/NA meetings

the new sober friends there
will be immensely supportive.

Take care
Old 01-10-2007, 07:02 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I look for things that trigger me... I use the acronym HALTS for that... Hungry Angry Lonely Tired Stressed... I find that if I have any of these issues going on in my life it is much easier to feel the crushing urges to drink again. Perhaps they can help you.

Peace, Levi
Old 01-10-2007, 07:30 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by leviathon View Post
I look for things that trigger me... I use the acronym HALTS for that... Hungry Angry Lonely Tired Stressed... I find that if I have any of these issues going on in my life it is much easier to feel the crushing urges to drink again. Perhaps they can help you.

Peace, Levi
Thank you for posting this, I forgot all about this and have been under tremendous stress lately - all I can think about is drinking - when I wake up I think to myself, I may or may not have a cocktail tonight. Then I say to myself, why are you thinking like this after not doing so for so long. Then in the evening I get some alcohol, pour a drink and take a sip and dump it out. I asked my doctor the other day this question too, as he is weaning me off of Suboxone from my kratom and Loritab addiction. He could not offer any responses other than, you need to eliminate the stress factors in your life or tell them to stop talking to you about the topics that bother you. Easier said then done as most of my stress is coming from my mom, how do you tell your mom to stop calling you and talking about her new boyfriend (she is still married to my father of 38 years)? And my husband, stop going over the bills with me and stop insulting me when the money does not go in your favor and my daughter who has a very close relationship with a boy (not sexual yet, but getting there) to not get pregnant and then she comes to you and says she may be pregnant (she has a birth control appointment today). I realize I am ranting, but that HALT stuff does work - I need to remember that.

Thanks for sharing this.
Old 01-10-2007, 08:33 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Originally Posted by raerob View Post

The move was what we call "a geographic cure"...it doesn't work...because no matter where you go, you take yourself with you.

You say you "tried AA"...but, did you really work it!?! AA tells us, "If you want what we have, and are willing to go to any lengths to get it, then you are ready to take certain steps." Referring, of course, to the 12 Steps of AA...the only way I know of to get/stay sober...I cannot recommend any other method, because it's the only one I ever tried...but, 27 years after the fact, I do know it worked for me.

As young as you are, I'm sure you don't want to hear this from an old fogey...but, you may have to detach from those old drinking buddies, if you ever want to get sober. Give AA another chance...but, wholeheartedly this time...it may very well mean the difference between life and death for you.

I totally concur with what raerob said, I drank for 40 years, I spent the last 10 years of that trying to control/quit drinking and it never worked, when I got into AA and "FOLLOWED DIRECTIONS", in other words "I worked it", I have stayed sober, 114 days now and I have no urge/need for a drink, if you work it hard enough and long enough the miracle will happen, at least it did for me and has for many others.