Notices

My First Sober Christmas and New Years Eve...

Old 12-30-2006, 08:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
ONE

My First Sober Christmas and New Years Eve...

Hi All,

Wasn't sure where to post first.... but as I'm pretty much "new" I thought here would be a good place to start...

I have been sober since the 9th September... so about 16 weeks. I went to my first AA meeting on 11th September, since then i have been to my local meeting each and every week (except one week when I was away interstate). The meetings are on a Monday night and come Sundays - I am really looking forward to Monday night (if you had of told me that 16 weeks ago I would of laughed at you!).

I used to think about whether I was an "ALCOHOLIC" or not (...my father and his father are Alcoholics) now I've stopped worrying about whether I am an Alcoholic... I just admit the fact that I am and I concentrate on not drinking anymore

In my first couple of meetings I had to really fight to hold back the tears, listening to so many people share things about their lives that sounded so much like mine was incredible.

I am a 34 year old, single male, professional job, nice house, nice car, born in England,moved to Australia when I was a kid, etc,etc... When I listen to someone so different to me "share", say a 70 year old, mother and grandmother from post war Germany and think "Wow, her story is basically the same as mine" - I am constantly amazed!

On the outside, no one would really of thought of me as an Alcoholic, rather I was just someone who tended to over indulge when it came to booze... bit a "party animal" if you like. In reality, I was just one of many people who is powerless over Alcohol and just can't stop once they have "had a few"...

Over time, progressively - it was making me mentally, physically, spiritually and financially bankrupt... and my life had become unmanageable When I was "half drunk" I was only "half stupid"... but when I was totally drunk I was "totally stupid"... and i've done some "insane" things when I've been drunk.

I have had a fair few work functions to attend over the last couple of weeks, being Xmas and all and it has been a challenge to stay sober. Looking back though, it really wasn't that hard! I just followed the advice I was given at AA...

1. Don't Pick Up the First Drink.
2. Take it One Day at a Time &....
3. Keep Going to Meetings.

Simple really... I haven't really started on the "steps" yet... although Step One is pretty much a given... but I'm in no rush... rather take my time and get it right.

Anyway, I am off to a quiet New Years Eve party tonight... a small gathering, a few people will be drinking and a few others won't... I really don't mind people drinking around me - I'm only focused on myself, sounds selfish but that's how I feel.

Its funny, when I was drinking and on my way to oblivion - NOBODY could make me STOP, now that I'm sober that same stubborness is actually a blessing - cos NOBODY and NOTHING can make me START drinking now!

Its only been 16 weeks - but I've come too far to go backwards now.... I'm starting to believe in things like a "higher power" and stuff, I want to find out more cos this is such a good program for me. Oh, and I'm looking forward to not waking up with a "traditional" New Years day hangover, although I have been known to make New Years Eve last for 2 or 3 nights in previous years!

I'm really glad I've found this forum.... like I said I've been going to meetings but I find it very hard to "share". I normally decline the invitation to "share" - I've done it twice and ended up getting all choked up and crying after about 30 seconds - how embarrassing )) Although every one at the meeting was cool about it... suggesting that Alcoholism is much an emotional disease as anything, so its only natural to be emotional.

I got a long way to go... and I think I have so much to learn and I'm not gonna do that by talking... I've got plenty of listening to do.

Anyway... I guess in some respects this is my first "proper" sharing (without breaking down in tears)... so thanks for listening...

Sober today... and really bloody happy about it!

Christian.
Old 12-30-2006, 08:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Christian welcome Sober Recovery. Just did a quick internet search and came up with a 3 page list of meetings in the Adelaide area:

http://www.aa.org.au/cgi-user/meetin...records=Search

Thought you might like to have more options to assist you on your recovery journey.

Congrats on your sober time!!!!!

Please keep posting and let us know how you are doing we do care.

Love and hugs,
Old 12-30-2006, 11:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome aboard, Christian, and please keep coming back to keep us informed on how you're doing. Seems like you're handling everything One Day At a Time and that's the best way.

I'm so happy to hear that you're going to meetings. As for sharing, I was terrified to do so the first six months, but nobody ever criticized me for it, they let me do so in my own time. We each have our own growth pattern and it's okay.

God bless you.

Luv2All

Last edited by luv2all; 12-30-2006 at 11:11 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-30-2006, 11:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Well Done on your sober time!!

Welcome to SR...Blessings
Old 12-31-2006, 04:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Living on a prayer

Good to have you here Christian! Congrats on your 16 weeks sober! I'm only a couple days into it, but all of the stories, info, and support here are helping me through these rough first days. You've come to a great place to share and receive support.
Old 12-31-2006, 07:13 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
ONE

Thanks to you all for your support... think I'm gonna like it here

I just got home from my little New Years Eve Party, so its 2007 here now...

Happy NEW Year.... Happy NEW Me!!!

It was good to not have to hang around for hours waiting for a taxi, or "risking" the drive home drunk... whatsmore, I was sober and actually relaxed and enjoyed myself.

Oh, and although it's a little early for me to be giving advice, can I say to you - MyGraySkies, that although its early days for you, I can assure you each day (at a time) will only get better and easier. Each day (at a time) will make you stronger....

Thanks again to you all.

Christian.
Old 12-31-2006, 08:21 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Happy New Year Christian. Sooooo much of what you wrote is ME! Everyone else can put it into words so much better than I can. I love the feeling I get when I read about someone else who parallels my experiences and thoughts. It seems to make me that much stronger knowing there are so many people who understand. I am 45 days into it and each day is better.

See you soon-
Old 12-31-2006, 05:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
ONE

Hi TamTam.... hope you are well?

Its Monday today... so got a meeting tonight which I am looking forward to! A great way to start a new year.

In my intro I wrote that I am amazed when people share and I think "Wow that sounds like me". So for you to tell me that MY story has some relevance to YOU - that has really given me a buzz... THANK YOU!

Like I also said in my intro I haven't really started on the "steps" yet, but it is my intention to start working them in 2007...

I don't know where you're at with the "steps"... but maybe we can compare our experiences with this process together over 2007?

Rgds,

Christian...
Old 12-31-2006, 05:51 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I have the big book and have been reading some- I just officially got my sponsor Fri at my mtg- I am looking forward to getting started with her. We can help each other along!! Have a great night. Talk to you soon.

Tammy
Old 03-10-2007, 07:32 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
ONE

Hi Everyone!

I come to this forum regularly, but as you can see I don't post a lot... However, today I thought I would be a bit egotistical and let everyone know that I am celebrating my 6 months of Sobriety this weekend!!!

The last time I posted (above) I was 16 weeks into it and today its 26 weeks...

I'm still following the basics:

1. Don't Pick Up the First Drink.
2. Take it One Day at a Time &....
3. Keep Going to Meetings.

... and Life's good

Christian.
Old 03-10-2007, 07:35 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Life is Grand

That is spectacular!!! Congratulations on your clean time!!

SRH
Old 03-10-2007, 10:23 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Way to go Christian.

I just read your original post and it gave me so much hope. Thanks for posting again today. Don't be a stranger huh? We newbies need all the encouragement we can get.

xx

Steph
Old 03-12-2007, 04:54 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
ONE

In my very first post (above) I wrote about how I found it very difficult to share at A.A. Each time I tried I found it to be an extremely emotional experience and I just broke down and cried.

Well at my regular Monday night meeting tonight I celebrated my 6 mths of being sober AND I not only SHARED I also CHAIRED the meeting for the evening! ... and whatsmore I really enjoyed it!!!

Miracles will happen!
Old 03-12-2007, 05:09 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

DbyD... so happy for you...

the promises are unfolding we see...

congrats on 6 months... major good news...

alll good wishes DbyD...

xxoo, rz
Old 03-12-2007, 11:14 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
ONE

Thanks Rusty...

One day at a time...

I must admit I am very happy with my 6 months of sobriety, but when I look back at everything I have achieved (i.e. I survived my birthday without a drink, i survived Christmas without a drink, I survived New Years Eve, I survived countless opportunities to drink) - and then I think if i do it ALL again then I have only made it to 12 months sober!!!

When I was drinking it was as if life was just flashing past.... but now
it seems so long ago since my last drink. Its amazing how much life has "slowed down", and when life is short it doesn't hurt to go slow

Rgds,

Christian.