Notices

Moderation?

Old 12-30-2006, 05:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Moderation?

When I think of NEVER drinking again, I get anxious. So then I think "well, I'll stop for a month and then re-evaluate". So far I am on day 3. Over the past year the longest I made it without was 8 days. Then I thought I had it all figured out and could manage my drinking. Wrong.

Since then I have worked my way "up" to being able to drink a bottle of wine with minimal effects the next day. (Although I do wake up in the middle of the night either sweating or restless.) My dad was a longtime alcoholic and I do NOT want to start having physical symptoms or continue to increase my tolerated amounts.

A friend is getting married on NYE and I am considering having a glass of wine to toast. But maybe they'll have NA beer available. Although I've been planning to have the wine, days 4 and 5 sound pretty good too.

Thanks for supporting each other so much - it has been helping me see that I'm not the only one trying to put on the brakes before hitting bottom.
Old 12-30-2006, 05:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Shouldercat and welcome to SR

There's a whole lot of great info on these forums. Feel free to browse away and read. I hope you find what you're lookin for here.

Good luck and keep well

Ron
Old 12-30-2006, 05:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi and Welcome!

Here is a link you might find interesting..

Moderation Management, the one group that deals with moderate drinking; useful for the guidelines:
http://moderation.org/

Let us know how you are doing...
Old 12-30-2006, 06:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I also wanted to share this info with you..

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...influence.html

Take care..
Old 12-30-2006, 06:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Shouldercat,

Welcome!

If you choose to stop drinking, we're here to offer support.
Old 12-30-2006, 09:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

Since then I have worked my way "up" to being able to drink a bottle of wine with minimal effects the next day. (Although I do wake up in the middle of the night either sweating or restless.) My dad was a longtime alcoholic and I do NOT want to start having physical symptoms or continue to increase my tolerated amounts.
If I thought I could "drink in moderation", I'd still be drinking that bottle of wine...with or without the "minimal effects". The night-time sweats and restlessness sounds like you're already experiencing alcoholic symptoms. But, you know you are the only one who can admit to your being an alcoholic.

I wish you well, and hope you'll find the answers to help you make the right decision...moderation? or abstinence? Since you say your dad was an alcoholic, I think you already know.
Old 12-30-2006, 10:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

The night-time sweats and restlessness sounds like you're already experiencing alcoholic symptoms
Yup. I didn't know it at the time, but when I had these symptoms they were early signs of mild withdrawl . Mind you, I say mild. This is why I'd keep booze at hand at night. I'd take a good shot and go back to "sleep".

If you think you have a problem, kick it now. You don't want to experience full on withdrawl or DTs. Not to mention all the bad stuff that may eventually start happening in your life.

I've found only abstinence works for me. AA and the Steps helped me achieve this. Life is soooooo much better, I never would have guessed it could be this good.
Old 12-30-2006, 10:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hry Shouldercat,
Shoot for days 4-5. It'll make the experience of the wedding much more enjoyable. As for the NA beer... I'd keep away from it. My cousin started with a few of those at a wedding he attended... he swears the next thing he remembers was coming to in Chicago singing with an accapella group in the subway. The wedding was in Boston.
Good luck.
Mike in Boston

Last edited by mikel60; 12-30-2006 at 10:14 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-30-2006, 10:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'd always say "I'll quit tomorrow" as I held an alcoholic drink in my hand.
I nearly didn't make "tomorrow"... because King Alcohol is sneaky, baffling and powerful, and I had gone from "wanting" to "NEEDING" alcohol.

Like the Big Book says, few of us were willing to stop while there was yet still time to do so.

Good luck to you, and try to stay away from that first drink One Day At A Time. Thanks to AA, I'm living a quality, sober life, in total gratitude. I never dreamed life could be so good.

Please keep coming back here to share with us. We care.

Luv2All
Old 12-31-2006, 12:03 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I stopped drinking completely for about 4 months once, it was in that period of 4 months i picked up smoking. Now i "moderately" drink and smoke. Go figure. Moderation is good for those that can moderate. Most of us here are addicts some more so than others. Find your own way