Notices

First Day

Old 12-30-2006, 03:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First Day

Hi all,
Well today is my first day- its getting close to the time that I would get out the wine and start drinking- and so far so good- I am even going to Church tonight and getting out a puzzle to put together- I made my son go every where with me today- so that I would not buy alcohol- I used to drop him off at the video store and run to the liquor store-but today I made sure he was with me.
I know its going to take some time for my family to trust me again- its been hell on them and I know it- I look at myself and I want to beat this disease- its not fair to them at all- I want to be MOM again- not drunken passed out mom- I have read the Bible and wrote in my journal today- and I am looking forward to going to bed and sleeping- I mean actually going to bed- how hard is the first night without alcohol? I know I have tried it before but some how I feel this is going to be alot worse- I am scared -scared for me and scared for them- its going to be rough I know- how do the rest of you make it- how do you do it one day at a time- how do you do it without relasping? I feel like all I do now is drink and not remember the night before- I don't want that anymore- what did you all do when you had the urge? I know quite a few of you have quit - how do you put the family unit back together? How did I get in this place that I am at? Why me?
Thanks for listening,
Old 12-30-2006, 03:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

How did I get in this place that I am at? Why me?
Why not you? Why any of us? Maybe we are God's "chosen people"...He surely must have some divine plan that brought us all together...from different walks of life...from all over the world...our only common denominator being alcoholism. OK...maybe that's a bit altruistic.

All I know for certain is that we are all trying to get/stay sober, one day at a time. There are many suggested ways of doing this...I can only speak from my own experience...because AA meetings worked for me...and I can't recommend it too strongly for you, too. After 32 years of alcoholic drinking, I have been sober a little over 27 years...so, although you should continue posting here and reading the other threads (there is a lot of useful information and support here), nothing can take the place of face to face contact with other recovering alcoholics...IMHO
Old 12-30-2006, 04:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

You know that it's normal to feel scared and confused about things. I couldn't believe I had gotten myself into the situation I had. What worked for me was changing my routines and patterns in my life. Plan to be doing something different at the time of the day you would have been drinking. Stop going to places you used to go to drink or seeing people you drank with. It's not easy, but it helps a lot. And, as far as putting the family unit back together, for me, that was where I had to learn patience. It was really, really hard to just have to wait and accept and see what would happen. But, that's really all you can do, besides staying sober.
Old 12-30-2006, 05:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi all,
Well I missed church it had started an hour earlier then what I thought- but I passed 3 liquor stores on the way and didn't stop- I am so happy- I feel as though a weight is about to be lifted off my shoulders and out of my life- does it get easier- do the cravings stop- how do you do it?
Old 12-30-2006, 06:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Huge Hugs recoveryforme...
Just don't drink tonight.

Blessings to you and your family
Old 12-30-2006, 06:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

hi, sweetie...this is the hard part, i'm also a mother, i have a pill addiction, but i can understand exactly what you are going through...take it one day, one hour, one minute at a time if you have to...you can make it!!!!!there are so many mothers on here and we all are making it...if we can do it you can...you've made it through one day...that, believe it or not, is a huge accomplishment...tomorrow is just one more day you have to get through...and so on...go to meetings...seek counselling...get as much help as you can...you can make it...we will be here for you...you are in a special place...
Old 12-31-2006, 01:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Trying to do the right thing.

Hang in there Sweetie .....You can do this ,....inside yourself you are strong and it just takes time to get to hear that voice thats the real you ,...we all love to hate....!!!

Welcome Sweetie .....