looking for info on family communication letter

Old 12-22-2006, 01:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question looking for info on family communication letter

This is my first post. I came across this site while searching on Ask.com for information on the topics for a family communication letter to an alcoholic. My husband just left a rehab facility (28 days) on Dec. 8 and he's drinking again for a few days now.

My daughters and I were unable to travel to the facility to have a "family communication" event before he checked out. we think we should have it now, since they will both be home for the holiday. Unfortunately, the center he was at is very difficult to get information from...understaffed, counselors unavailable when we call, just busy.

Anyway, during one phone call to a counselor a few weeks ago, he mentioned that the letters we write to my husband need to follow a certain guideline of topics: fears, anger, frustrations, hopes, bottom line and something else (if those are even the right topics!!)

Can anyone please help us? My searches must be "tweaked" in some way that I just can't seem to find it on the internet.

We are desperate to complete this activity and either get closure or help him get back to extended treatment.

thanks for anything.
Old 12-22-2006, 01:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Rinnie's Grandpa

Welcome to SR Ready to Change...

I don't know the answer to your question, but I would ask it on the Friends and Family of Alcoholics forum...

There are a lot of knowledgable people there...

Best of luck to you and your family...

One day at a time.

Steve

Old 12-22-2006, 01:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Employment Exertion

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/family-friends/
Old 12-22-2006, 04:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
cmc

Hi and Welcome to SR! I'm so glad you found us and like the others have shared, you should get more replies to your thread if you move it to one of the Friends & Family Forums here at SR. There are many there who will have some feedback and offer support for you.
Old 12-26-2006, 06:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
let it grow!

I would think the counselor could provide? My husband and I wrote them for my daughter when she was in rehab - therapy letters. First person - how YOU were/are affected by the alcoholic. Sad, mad, hurt, ashamed, glad, afraid - those were the feelings we focused on - just to keep it simple. Be honest, give specific examples. Then, talk about what you're looking forward to in recovery. Hope this helps, K
Old 12-26-2006, 10:29 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

did you try a search for "intervention letters"

welcome to SR!
Old 12-26-2006, 10:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Perhaps the site http://www.lovefirst.net or the book Love First about family interventions might be of some help; establishing boundaries. Have you contacted Alanon in your area? I'm only guessing that this is what the facility was talking about.

Stick around here and check out Getting Them Sober (excerpts at http://www.GettingThemSober.com) should be good starts for getting you the help you and your family deserve and will also be helpful to your addicted loved one by default.

Best of luck to you all and I hope to see you around here.
Old 12-26-2006, 10:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Unemployable, one man needs one job. In all the world, it doesn't seem so mpossible.
Old 01-03-2007, 02:25 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Employment Exertion

Originally Posted by mallowcup View Post
Unemployable, one man needs one job. In all the world, it doesn't seem so mpossible.
I am working Temp jobs. Thanks for the concern. For those of you that don't know me. My name is John and I am red listed as a serious offender thanks to CT. DMV wrong information I have one DUI 07-15-1996