Notices

The First Thread

Old 12-15-2006, 01:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The First Thread

Addiction or Dependency? I have always wondered if there was a differance.
This would be the first step in understanding if there is such a thing. At least in my life. 5 days without and wondering? I was looking online about someone's issues and stumbled across this site and started reading other postings. Then it dawned on me, I need to start looking at myself. I have spent a lot of time "proving" to myself that I did not have issues to dela with or manage. What a joke! Here goes heading toward day 6.
Old 12-15-2006, 02:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

I think, that if you are wondering if you have a problem, you probably have a problem. 'Normal' people don't worry about that.

Take a look around and get to know us. This is a great place for support and information. If you are really wondering, you could decide to stop drinking completely for a specific period, say 3 months. That should give you your answer.
Old 12-15-2006, 02:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congrads on 5 days.... and welcome to SR

I hate when that flash bulb goes off sometimes.... yep it all starts with me and its an inside job too.

I think there is a difference because I think Alcoholism is a disease, it has alot to do with how the body processed Alcohol. Its my understanding that an Alcoholic processes it differently then a non Alcoholic. Dependency sounds more like a choice to me. Alot like self medicating and getting use to the numb.

Hurmm hope that makes sense.... anyway I look forward to getting to know you.
Old 12-15-2006, 03:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am an alcoholic in recovery.

I was physically dependant on alcohol
Old 12-15-2006, 07:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'd say a good start in answering your own question is coming here and asking the questions you are.

Might I also suggest reading the book "Under the Influence" and its companion, "beyond the influence". Both are incredibly insightful.

Peace, Levi
Old 12-16-2006, 03:22 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to day 6.
I've been wondering the same thing for a year now. I don't know if there is any way I'm going to come to my own final conclusion unless I go back to drinking and then CAN'T stop again. Then I'll know that it was an addiction and not something I can turn on and off. hmmm... do I want to play Russian Roulette? do you?

This is a good safe place to hang out while you learn more about alcohol and your body.
Old 12-16-2006, 05:48 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to sr. I am only 30 days into this but the same question was/is floating around in my head as well. I think that if it has become a problem it doesn't really matter what you call it. I am learning (through the many wise people here at sr) that if drinking is a priority in your head, it is a problem. "normal" drinkers just drink to enjoy- they don't count, they don't obsess about it being there, they just drink some to enjoy it.. they can have a couple and stop. We can not.

Good luck in your journey.
Old 12-18-2006, 05:50 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for the replys. I found myself in hurry to check the board after the weekend!! I made it throught the first full weekend! Going on day 8. Thought about "testing the water" and found the strength to move past the moment Saturday night. You know the feeling.... thinking that after a few days off the bottle you are really the master of the situation.
Small step that seemed like climbing a mountain. Moving on in to the new day!
Old 12-18-2006, 06:31 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

good choice. keep moving.
Old 12-18-2006, 07:34 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Originally Posted by LT58 View Post
Moving on in to the new day!
There ya go... keep at it.
Old 12-19-2006, 07:27 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Day Nine.......I have found myself getting restless tonight. It seems this evening the temptations hang heavy all around. I thought it was all downhill after yesterday for some strange reason............Boy, I guess I have a thing or two to learn.

I was talking to someone on the phone today and the subject of not drinking came into the conversation. Good guy, same age and family kind of stuff, someone I have done business with for a long time. He told me he was trying to lay low with his drinking. He said he had been going over the top to often and was just going to try to stop for a while.

I told him I had decide to put it all down and was only over a week into the next part of my life. He asked me why I was quiting. My response was it all of sudden dawned on me that drinking was not adding anything of quality to my life or more importantly my family's life. It was a distraction and I was a distraction every evening when I came home from work.

That's it plain and simple. Why would I continue? Why would I think about continuing?
Old 12-19-2006, 07:29 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

PS......Thanks for listening
Old 12-19-2006, 07:37 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Day Nine........ My response was it all of sudden dawned on me that drinking was not adding anything of quality to my life or more importantly my family's life....That's it plain and simple. Why would I continue? Why would I think about continuing?
Awsomne realization early on that didn't hit me until about my 4th month. I'm heading for 6th months New Years Day and I cannot lie it has been a rollercoaster. I still have up and downs both emotional and physical, but the ups are getting longer and the downs shorter.

Hang in there LT it sooo worth it!
Old 12-19-2006, 07:40 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

LT you're doing great! When things get tough, remember those words you wrote- Why would I contunue? Keep staying strong!
Old 12-22-2006, 09:22 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Day Twelve....I think I feel better. I am surprised with the highs and lows that have been swirling around. I am most surprised by the nights and moments, no hours, on sleeplessness. Sleep has always been elusive, but I had always thought drinking was the problem. Is it a physical or mental issue?? (I would expect the later with me! Ha!) Normal? Wondering were I could find more information on the body's change or reaction to the lack of alcohol. Any thoughts?

It has been so very helpful to read other story's and moments of conquering. It is has been a blessing and coming at the best time of the year. Thank you.

Peace and strength to everyone for the Holiday Season!

LT
Old 12-22-2006, 11:43 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Glad you're feeling better LT58. I can't advise about sleep because I still have insomnia myself. Have you read the Above The Influence sticky thread at the top?
Old 12-22-2006, 12:17 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I am most surprised by the nights and moments, no hours, on sleeplessness. Sleep has always been elusive, but I had always thought drinking was the problem. Is it a physical or mental issue?? (I would expect the later with me! Ha!) Normal?
I could go into a long, boring explanation of what happens in our bodies and brains when alcohol is abruptly taken away, but suffice it to say that, yes, the insomnia you are experiencing is a perfectly normal and expected side effect of quitting drinking.

For me I got almost no sleep the first week, and then it gradually started getting better. By the time I was 3 months sober those sleepless nights were still happening now and then, but were separated by several weeks at a time of good sleep.

After a little over a year, I still have occasional bouts of insomnia. Even after two nights in a row of almost no sleep, though, I still feel more awake and alert than when I was simply passing out every night.
Old 12-22-2006, 12:19 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Welcome to SR
Old 12-24-2006, 03:38 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Hope3

Thumbs up

Day Nine:
I told him I had decide to put it all down and was only over a week into the next part of my life. He asked me why I was quiting. My response was it all of sudden dawned on me that drinking was not adding anything of quality to my life or more importantly my family's life. It was a distraction and I was a distraction every evening when I came home from work.

That's it plain and simple. Why would I continue? Why would I think about continuing?
Beautifully said LT. the best wishes your way, Hope3