Courage to Change ~ December 15

Old 12-15-2006, 06:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Courage to Change ~ December 15

For some time Step Three eluded me. How could I turn my will and my life over to the care of a Higher Power? I earnestly tried, but I always took everything right back into my own hands. It felt so scary to think that I was not in control. I found it hard to trust that my Higher Power would be there for me if I let go completely. Again and again, I wondered what absolute surrender would feel like, and how I would know if I was doing it? A recent speaker at an Al-Anon meeting put it into terms that I could understand. He said that turning our will over is like dancing with a partner. If both try to lead, there is much confusion and little forward movement. As one who has taught many couples how to dance, I know the awkwardness and bucking that result when both partners compete for control. But when the partner who is following can relax and let the other partner do the steering, the couple flows easily across the dance floor.

Today’s Reminder

If I feel the bucking of uncertainty, despair, or fear, I can take it as a sign that I have gotten out of step. Then I can ask the God of my understanding to help me be a more willing partner.

“There are no guarantees that life will turn out the way we would like, but the program has shown me God’s will is the only way; it is up to me to work with Him and turn my life and will over to His care and guidance.”

…In All Our Affairs
Old 12-15-2006, 10:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
cmc

Thanks for sharing that, Cat's

How could I turn my will and my life over to the care of a Higher Power?
Sometimes...well no, alot of the time, just when I feel or think I have done this I find another little or big (!) thing that I have 'taken back' or not turned over to HP. I am grateful that my recovery is a gentle process. It may ebb and flow back and forth but each time I grow. Despite my changing feelings, thoughts and actions, "I" still keep growing and learning and that does not ever change.