Courage to Change ~ December 14

Old 12-14-2006, 08:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Courage to Change ~ December 14

There are many forms of loss—divorce, incarceration, illness, death, even emotional change. When I lost the person I loved more than anyone in the world, I was more than devastated, and in my grief, I pushed everyone away. Thank God I had been in Al-Anon long enough to have awakened that part of myself that wanted health, no matter what happened. And so, in time, I once again began to work the program.

With the help of so many wonderful Al-Anon members who held me and let me grieve in my own way and time, I learned to go back to Step One, to admit that I was powerless over this loss and that my life was unmanageable. Once more I saw that the only hope for me lay with a Power greater than myself. And Step by Step I learned to live with loss, with pain, with despair, until eventually I began to feel alive again.

Today’s Reminder

Pain and loss are part of life. No matter what I do, I will not be able to change that fact. But with the fellowship to support me and the Steps to guide me, I will be able to face, and grow through, anything that comes my way.

“The foundation I have developed in Al-Anon not only makes me grateful when things are going well, but also makes me realize that the program works especially when things go badly.”

…In All Our Affairs