Notices

New here...with kind of a strange question

Old 12-10-2006, 09:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy New here...with kind of a strange question

Hi,
I'm new here...definetely have a drinking problem which I most definetely need to kick...though I keep falling back but....I have a question that I just had to ask someone because it is boggling my mind. I don't know what is going on, what is wrong with me but the strangest thing happened recently that I'm wondering if it has to do with alcoholism or not..

I recently stayed at some friends' house...after having 3 or 4 drinks I laid down on a sofa because I was drowsy and fell asleep after I had a little mini emotional breakdown (I pretty much lose my mind when I start drinking and am not in a situation to get totally plastered for some reason..) but I eventually fell asleep and a few hours later, my best friend found me, woke me up and took me to a bed and she went to bed too. I got up and got another drink or two, drank it, had another little bout of crying, and I think I spent about half the night in a weird insomnia kind of state...not sleeping but definetely not "all there" either..
I was laying there and it sounded like people were awake but then I realized that it was 4am and there definetely was no one awake--this wasn't a party. And this is when it gets weird...and just to be clear, I don't have any sort of psychological or emotional problems besides depression.
I heard a door to outside open and I believed that someone was walking into the house. And then I heard a song start playing very loudly and I believed that someone or something was coming to harm me. (I know that in reality there couldn't have been any music playing, muchless that loud..it would have woke everyone up..) I was terrified and closed my eyes, maybe thinking that it would just go away. When I got up the nerve to open my eyes, there was nothing there but I was so scared and my heart was beatting so fast that I started to pass out and everything went fuzzy and black. And then that same night I felt something grab my shoulder. I am sooo boggled by this and wondering WHAT is wrong with me....lol. I had something similar happen once after a night of drinking when I was trying to sleep but nothing like this..
Also, I was not drunk, and was almost sobered up when this happened.

I'm really sorry for the long post and if anyone reads this they will probably think I am nuts lol...but honestly...I'm not...and this is the weirdest thing that has ever happened to me. I just had to ask someone if they had any idea what could possibly have caused this to happen to me.....I guess I am just wondering if it has to do with my drinking somehow? Has anyone ever experienced anything like this before? Thanks so much for reading this and again...sorry for the long post.
Old 12-10-2006, 09:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi, SarBear- Not really sure what happened. Was it just a dream? Hopefully someone else can share with you. If you think you have a problem then you are at the right place. Many loving, concerned supportive people here. Keep coming back!
Old 12-10-2006, 09:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

when I detoxed from drugs and booze19 years ago, on day (night) #3 I had night terrors. Not exactly a nightmare because i felt lucid enough.

My therapist explained that it may have to do with deep anxieties that I never allow to become fully conscious. That i used drugs, alcohol and other excesses like relationships and work, to numb or escape from.

Some times, the anxiety just becomes fully conscious when we least expect it.

I paid attention to it, because it wasn't until then that I realized that my nervous system was very stressed, and that I was spending a good amount of energy trying to sedate it.

jmho.
Old 12-10-2006, 12:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Midas

Welcome SarBear86! Glad you're here. It sounds to me like you had a "waking nightmare", or night terror. More than likely, it is related to the alcohol. Alcohol consumption disturbs your normal sleep and dream patterns. And, when the conditions are just right (hormones, neurotransmitters, etc.), the subconcious mind and concious mind start mingling. A dreamy, half-awake, ultra-paranoid trance can result.

The experience can be rather frightening. I've had several of them.