Notices

Day 3!!!

Old 12-07-2006, 02:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Tim-O

Exclamation Day 3!!!

This is the third day now without a drink, i'v been trying 2 keep my mind occupied but it seems 2 find away 2 get back in. I'v bin at this point so many times b4 but always fall bak in 2 the drinking, if anybody has any ideas of what i could do 2 see me through this time would apprectiate it thanx

Tim
Old 12-07-2006, 02:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

WTG, Tim! Day 3 is a toughie for many people. Some suggestions for you:

Take some time to regularly do deep yoga breathings. That is inhale by puffing out your abdomen (like babies breathe) for a slow count as high as you can, and then release the breath in deep swoosh. That helps calm the jitteries.

Suck on some hard candy or eat popcorn or carrot sticks or something to keep your mouth busy.

Take a walk. Honestly. Sounds so simple and useless, but when you do it, by the time you get back, your craving is gone and you feel empowered by having beaten it back.

Don't hesitate to do just that. Beat it back. Out loud. Tell the voice to f*off. Say to yourself full-blast, Thanks, I don't drink.

Post and read all over this forum, especially the thread on what to expect at the top of the Newcomers board.

Drink a lot of water or lemonade or tea to help get the crap out of your system faster.

You can do this. You CAN do this.

Hugs,
CS
Old 12-07-2006, 05:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Can you find an AA meeting or call AA number in your phone book to talk to someone. We have all been there and it can be done. If it seems impossible you may want to think about a Detox. This is no small battle. try not to do it alone. call AA or meeting. worked for me. Best of luck, Tim
Old 12-07-2006, 05:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I parked my butt in as many AA meetings as I could. 90 meetings in 90 days they said. Felt like a cult a lot of the time, but all I knew is that I had tried and failed to change on my own many times, and I needed to do something different. And if everything is a hopeless mess and you figure you might as well drink, put it off until tomorrow. Things will seem strange because biochemical changes trump any preconceptions. If I could do it, you can.

Congradulations!
Old 12-07-2006, 11:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

welcome to SR. I hope you find some answers in the experiences from all our members here. We've all been where you are and it IS possible to get past the early days.
Old 12-08-2006, 03:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yeah, those early days suck don't they? The good news is that if you can get just get through them you don't ever have to do it again if you don't choose to. That is what I told myself over and over and over to get through in the beginning.

What to do? Stay busy, stay occupied. Nutritionally take a multi vitamin and a B vitamin, eat small healthy meals and drink lots of fluids. If you get the shakes try eating some chocolate ice cream or some fresh honey or pop a chocolate in your mouth.

If you have family in the home plan to do things with them! Cook, watch movies (hey, you'll actually remember the movie plot the next day!), if you like to read then read lots. Any other hobby you enjoy, get out and do it. Take a walk and get outside of your head for a while. And, oh yeah, how about trying some meetings. Meetings saved my butt literally. I had to surround myself with people who knew what I was going through, I had to have examples in front of me of how things could be if I just got through the initial hard stages and I got hope from hearing these people's stories, a lot of which were worse than mine, which defined their past but certainly not their present!

Keep posting on here and remember................... this too shall pass. As long as you don't give into it and start the whole cycle over again it will get easier.

Hugs,
Kellye