Notices

Lucky number 13!

Old 12-05-2006, 05:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Lucky number 13!

Today is lucky number 13 (days) for me! YAH ME! woohoo!

I have been making some real positive changes in my life. 1st of which was admitting I had a problem and seeking help for it. I have now made my second AA meeting which is helping. Some of the people at AA said that I shoud be going to meetings more. Being new to all of this did it make much difference to any of you to go more even if you feel good and don't think you have a reason to go?

2nd positive change was that I (we) found a church that we really like that doesn't preach it's own doctrine and is very family and community oriented. That's one thing that's kept me away from churches for so long. For me church should be a celebration and not a condemnation of all the things we do wrong. Same principle behind AA. Progress not perfection.

To say it's all been rosie would be lying, but the good days and hours way out number the bad and I have been reading more than I EVER have! Just started my 3rd book in 13 days. Not bad for me!

Lots of self discovery and reflection of my 13 days sober and lots of listening to James MacDonald for inspiration on how to fix the family. It's really been an interesting ride these last 2 weeks. I am wondering how the holidays are gonna go. I have a feeling that I won't be making it out to many parties this year. LOL! It's a small price to pay for my sanity at this point in my life. Maybe next year when I have 365 under my belt.

My new addiction is now Rockstar energy drinks. Gotta stop on the way home from work and grab one. Oh well I guess it's better than booze and no worse than coffee. HAHA!

I have also been keeping a journal of these experiences so that 1) I never forget what it was like to go through all this, and 2) something to give my son when he turns 19 and is legal to drink. Maybe him having a look at Dad's life at 36 may give him some inspiration to leave it alone. With the history in both mine and my wife's family the odds are not in his favour.

Also having God in his life may be a positive factor as well. It's something I really didn't have much of or what I did have just didn't stick.

Anyways. It's been real nice this last 13 days and looking forward to 14.

NO FEAR!
Hoeboe
Old 12-05-2006, 06:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I love your idea of keeping a journal for both of the reasons that you mentioned. It sounds like you're doing great and moving forward, learning and living.
Old 12-05-2006, 06:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Great job, Hoeboe! What a beautiful idea, your thoughts written down for your son... I've been sharing some with my three teens and "tween." I know from their responses that they appreciate my efforts. They help keep me accountable, too.

Keep it up!

Liz
Old 12-06-2006, 04:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

way to hang in there, hoeboe!

jjust think - you never have to do that part again!