Notices

First Day

Old 12-04-2006, 11:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile First Day

New member. Sober for 16 hours and plan on making it. It runs in our family and I never thought it could happen to me. Trying to take it one day at a time actually one minute at a time.......Thanks for your stories I will need the support.
Old 12-04-2006, 11:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR ... we are glad you decided to join us.

Congrads on your 16 hours.... its a hard decision to make Im sure. Please read the stickies if you have not done so already, they have alot of good info.

One day at a time is the only way to do it.... are you in a program of any kinda?

I look forward to getting to know you.
Old 12-04-2006, 12:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

((( getting stronge)))

Welcome to SR. You've got a great attitude and congratulations on your decision to change your life for the better. Looking forward to seeing more of you!
Old 12-04-2006, 12:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am not quite there yet. It is a pride thing. I believe I can do it alone and also with the help of this site. Wish me luck....
Old 12-04-2006, 12:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by getting stronge View Post
I am not quite there yet. It is a pride thing. I believe I can do it alone and also with the help of this site. Wish me luck....
I couldn't do it myself. I tried and tried......you may be different. If not, a program may help.

Good Luck
Old 12-04-2006, 12:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you. You may be right, but I want to try this path first....
Old 12-04-2006, 12:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Originally Posted by getting stronge View Post
Welcome and good luck wishes coming at you .
Old 12-04-2006, 01:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
GS, I was taught that sometimes we need to clap our hands, and live just in the space between the claps. There are times when living one minute at a time gets to be too much for me, so I understand how you feel.

I tried to do it on my own for a while, and actually made it 5 months. But after that my mentality was so unhealthy that I knew I needed the help of AA. I admire your courage and determination, but remember that there's help if you need it.

Scott
Old 12-04-2006, 01:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I really appreciate it. Now is coming the tough time when I go home to cook dinner. I usually have a few glasses of wine while I cook... Wish Me Luck.
Old 12-04-2006, 01:58 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I used to do that too. Have a few drinks while cooking, which turned into a jug of cheap wine, which turned into a fifth of vodka and a case of beer. Funny thing is it's just as enjoyable to drink some coffee, soda, or tea, and I can actually enjoy eating the food I cook. Good luck to you.

Scott
Old 12-05-2006, 05:20 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Well I got through the night with flying colors. Actually I did just have a cup of tea while cooking so I understand what you mean. I feel great this morning, just hope it continues. Anyone with same experiences? What do I need to expect?
Old 12-05-2006, 09:08 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Well, you can expect more of those same good feelings, but remember that just quitting drinking only takes one of the symptons away. The real issue with any alcoholic is our mentality, that obsession and compulsion that drives us to the next drink. That is where AA and working the Steps will help you the most, so try to have an open mind.
Old 12-05-2006, 10:50 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I absolutely will. Thank you. Did you have any detox symptoms? I don't know if I got that far or not.
Old 12-05-2006, 10:58 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

DT's and anxiety attacks plagued me for the first couple months. I guess that would be the result of quitting cold turkey and white knuckling it. Not something I'd recommend when there's an easier way available.
Old 12-05-2006, 11:33 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Something is starting to make sense. When I started drinking more than normal because of stess issues regarding my mother and my step-daughter, I started having anxiety attacks. I am a runner and I work out everyday but these attacks had control over me and they kept getting worse and worse and more frequent. They seemed to always hit me around the same time everyday. (11:00 ish) I went to a psychiatrist and she prescribed me lexapro. Of course I wasn't honest with my alcohol consumption because I was not honest with myself at that time. Now that I have faced myself it makes me wonder if the drinking causes panick attacks? Or is common knowledge. I am really struggling with taking lexapro every day.
Old 12-05-2006, 11:44 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

You might want to talk to your psychiatrist again and this time be honest about the drinking. I started taking Lexapro 2 months into sobriety but it made me miserable, so months later I eventually adapted well to EffexorXR, and am glad to say that I'm off that now too. Try to remember that every person will have a different experience with medications like that. As far as common knowledge, I never had a panic or anxiety attack until I was sober so can't really say it's true or not.
Old 12-05-2006, 12:36 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I know that's the hard part but I am ready now to tell her. I have an appointment tomorrow. Do you still have panic attacks? It is amazing what your mind does....Thanks for the advice on the lexapro.
Old 12-05-2006, 12:49 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I hadn't had one in about 18 months, but might've had one this past Saturday when I got some bad news. Or, it might've just been stress. Either way it passed quickly. In my early sobriety I was having one attack on top of another, and went for week-long stretches where I couldn't sleep.
Old 12-05-2006, 12:55 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

When I have attacks I feel dizzy and like I cannot breathe. The more I think about it the more it is harder to breathe. My father died of a massive heart attack at age 54 and so I start thinking I am having a heart attack and my arms tingle and I feel like I am going to pass out. I was dealing with it for awhile, until I just had enough and went to a doctor. (hate doctors) I even got rushed to the hospital because I really thought I was going to die. I wonder how this will be when there is no alcohol in my system. I am hoping that they are connected so I can get off lexapro. Believe it or not, I am basically a health freak (except for poisoning myself with alcohol) lol...I am very hopeful that I can do this and if I find myself failing, I will find an aa meeting. I already researched and found 2 near my home just in case...
Old 12-05-2006, 01:44 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Please just talk to your physician tomorrow. I thought I was a health nut when I was drinking. That's one more lie I was telling myself. And if you can bring yourself to it, try one of those AA meetings sooner. It won't hurt you and you don't have to go back, but many find that they belong there. I know I do, and have my life because of AA.