Notices

What to expect…

Old 12-03-2006, 09:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What to expect…

Greetings,

Although I have been an addict for the last 25 years and have gone through many additions, I am very uncertain what to expect when I stop using.

When I was 19 I was addicted to cocaine and heroin. My addiction was really bad, as bad as its gets. What saved me then was a 4 year prison sentence. After being released from prison I moved far away and started a new life. Considering where I came from, I have done moderately well. I am 37 now and have not done any hard drugs since prior to being incarcerated. However, I have been a pot head all my life. I smoke over an ounce per month. And now I have developed a new addiction – alcohol. I have never had a problem with alcohol, but about 2 years ago, for the sake of my wife, I tried to quit smoking and replaced buds for beer. Well, today I am separated, still smoke a lot and drink over a 12 pack per day.

I know I have a serious problem. I must be crazy because I am not sure what to do. Last week I called the local rehab. I decided it wasn’t right for me because even though it’s an out patient program, they require meeting a few hours per day a few days per week that conflict with my work hours.

I have decided that enough is enough and I have to stop. Tomorrow I am going to quit. I am going to get involved with AA/NA and live the sober life. All I have to base this vision on is my experience during incarceration and a few months after release. I know it was hard, but that was a long time ago and my doc was different.

Can anyone share what I will be going thru in the days and weeks to come? I am also open to suggestions as to how best achieve sobriety.
Old 12-03-2006, 09:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Midas

Welcome Aboard, Furthest. We're glad you're here!

Glad to hear you've made the decision to quit. Withdrawals from alcohol can be rather unpleasant, and it's usually best to have some medical supervision. It may be best to talk to your doctor about it. No two alcoholics detox the same way. The first two weeks, like I always say, are often pretty rough. Hang in there!

Old 12-03-2006, 09:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

AA is, IMO, a great idea.

Like Midas said, De-tox can be traumatic.

Also, there's a thread here for more

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-expect.html
Old 12-03-2006, 11:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

welcome to SR. I'm sure if you have a look around here you'll see lots of folks going through similar problems and you can learn from all the threads. It's great that you have made the decision to get serious about changing your life for the better.
Old 12-03-2006, 11:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi and Welcome!

It's great to see a new member..

Blessings