Notices

Pot

Old 12-03-2006, 07:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Pot

My son is in detox for oxy and says he will never do any drugs again except pot.He says pot is not a drug and he will continue to use it. Do you think that thats a problem??
Old 12-03-2006, 08:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi...

Of course pot is a drug.
I bet he is aware of that fact too.
And it is illegal.

I do hope he will change his mind.

Take care of you...he will do as he chooses.

Blessings
Old 12-03-2006, 08:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Raised from the Dead

im a recovering stoner/alcoholic/pill-popping heroin user. for me personally if i smoke weed one time, it will open the floodgates to me altering my state of mind and eventually lead me back to my drug of choice. i am not confused about this. i alter my mind, i have an alergic reaction which will trigger a phenomen of craving.
Old 12-03-2006, 08:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by delldell View Post
My son is in detox for oxy and says he will never do any drugs again except pot.He says pot is not a drug and he will continue to use it. Do you think that thats a problem??
Yep that's a problem. Or at least in my little part of the world it would be...

Sometimes it takes more than time in detox for them to figure it out.... they have to go out and do more "research" before they hit their bottom.

How about you? Are you able to find some al anon or naranon meetings in your area? Trust me, meetings help moms and dads like us.

Hugs

Cat
Old 12-03-2006, 08:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I just dont understand why he thinks its not a drug yet thinks coke,pills,etc are drugs.
Old 12-03-2006, 08:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

He is lying. Plain and simple.
Old 12-03-2006, 09:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Some may have the "dubious luxury" of smoking pot, but not us alkies. I agree that it will most likely lead to something else at some time.
Old 12-03-2006, 10:45 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
job

Originally Posted by GlassPrisoner View Post
Some may have the "dubious luxury" of smoking pot, but not us alkies. I agree that it will most likely lead to something else at some time.
the idea of "pot as a gateway drug" has been disproved for years. it is just plain factually wrong. there is nothing about smoking weed that will lead you to do other drugs.

there is something to be said about association. if your son gets his pot from a drug dealer who also happens to sell oxy, he will by that fact associate with someone who could and would be willing to sell him the drug he has been addicted to in the past. or if the kids he smokes pot with do oxy, etc.

no pot dealer that i have ever bought pot from (there have been many) has sold anything other than pot. not to say that such dealers aren't out there, i'm certain that they are...but in my experience, i have never encountered one.

it is entirely possible and even somewhat likely that your son could pick up a semi-frequent, recreational pot habit and be no worse for the wear. but I don't think that is the point as far as you are concerned. i think the problem for you is his insistence on defying you to your face, especially at a moment when he should be the most embarrassed and complacent. that is him testing you, and if i were you i would respond with iron rule and teach this boy some discipline and respect. (note: i am not a parent).

all i know is, if i was in his exact same situation and wanted to smoke pot, i would tell you "i promise mom, i will never do another drug again," and then continue to smoke pot behind your back. thats practically a no brainer, which is why i think he's up to more than "just being honest," i.e. a power play of some kind.

but if he really does continue to get stoned, i mean...its not the worst thing in the world, but its definitely not to be encouraged.

job

p.s. marijuana is obviously a drug, by definition of the word 'drug'.
Old 12-03-2006, 10:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Vox def Priistas

probably a problem

I've got some experience with a whole spectrum of drugs, and I do admit that pot is pretty much benign. A person that runs out of pot usually won't turn to irrational behavior (crimes, shady acts). Smoking pot once doesn't, for me at least, start a binge of intense smoking. I can smoke pot now and I don't really need to do it again for several weeks. I have other things to do. (On the contrary, doing a line of cocaine will have me throwing all logic out the window. Let's get more! It's terrible.)

However, I used to be a big pothead, and I can tell you that smoking every day, especially several times a day will still cause some problems. Most notable, it kills motivation like crazy, and it's hard to learn things. If your son plans on smoking daily, I would worry.
Old 12-03-2006, 10:49 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
job

Originally Posted by reduced quality View Post
However, I used to be a big pothead, and I can tell you that smoking every day, especially several times a day will still cause some problems. Most notable, it kills motivation like crazy, and it's hard to learn things. If your son plans on smoking daily, I would worry.
agreed whole heartedly, from experience. daily use of pot does not promote a good lifestyle or a clear mind.
Old 12-04-2006, 02:15 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

job & reduced, I agree with you. For most people. Hell, I think it should be legal.

However, we alkies are a different breed. Anything that alters our minds is questionable, and could lead to relapse. Which for a lot of us could lead to death.
Old 12-04-2006, 10:22 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

As an ex daily smoker of over 25+yrs., there is not one positive thing I can say about it.

Oh, except I don't smoke it anymore........

The answer to your questions:

Yes

Denial
Old 12-04-2006, 02:31 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by job View Post
the idea of "pot as a gateway drug" has been disproved for years. it is just plain factually wrong. there is nothing about smoking weed that will lead you to do other drugs.

there is something to be said about association. if your son gets his pot from a drug dealer who also happens to sell oxy, he will by that fact associate with someone who could and would be willing to sell him the drug he has been addicted to in the past. or if the kids he smokes pot with do oxy, etc.

no pot dealer that i have ever bought pot from (there have been many) has sold anything other than pot. not to say that such dealers aren't out there, i'm certain that they are...but in my experience, i have never encountered one.

it is entirely possible and even somewhat likely that your son could pick up a semi-frequent, recreational pot habit and be no worse for the wear. but I don't think that is the point as far as you are concerned. i think the problem for you is his insistence on defying you to your face, especially at a moment when he should be the most embarrassed and complacent. that is him testing you, and if i were you i would respond with iron rule and teach this boy some discipline and respect. (note: i am not a parent).

all i know is, if i was in his exact same situation and wanted to smoke pot, i would tell you "i promise mom, i will never do another drug again," and then continue to smoke pot behind your back. thats practically a no brainer, which is why i think he's up to more than "just being honest," i.e. a power play of some kind.

but if he really does continue to get stoned, i mean...its not the worst thing in the world, but its definitely not to be encouraged.

job

p.s. marijuana is obviously a drug, by definition of the word 'drug'.
I'd like to know what medical papers or articles you are referencing to get your info that weed being a gateway drug is "Factually wrong". Where? When?....when, years ago was it proven wrong?? By who?? Theres nothing about weed that leads you to other things??? How about the fact that it alters your state of mind? Thats all it takes. Altering your state of mind, clouds and lowers standards of judgement. Lowered or clouded standards of judgement lead you to talk yourself right into things you wouldnt normally do,...or 'promised you wouldnt' do. Is there a chemical in weed that leads you to herione? Or Oxy? Or booze? No. But, the fact that ALL drugs and alcohol alter your state of mind makes ALL of them 'gateway' drugs.
Old 12-04-2006, 02:43 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Originally Posted by 1_day@_a_time View Post
The answer to your questions:

Yes

Denial
Man, I have to agree with that. An addiction is an addiction, and marijuana maintenance usually doesn't work in 12 Step programs.
Old 12-04-2006, 02:58 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks so much..Pot sure stirs up lots of debate.Either way you all are awesome and I thank you.Hopefully my son will come around!
Old 12-04-2006, 07:55 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Job, serious?

Nah, can't be.......there is no way, ROTFLMAO!

Pot never leads to anything else...........hmmm.......well, it sure did for me!

Thru the years, I did most everything. Started with pot.

Never had any intention of even doing the pot!

Guess the dope dealers you know have not expanded their horizons. Yet.

Cuz', almost all of the guys I USED to know sold lots of other stuff.

I'm the only dealer that only sold pot.

Oh, except for a few of those funny white pills that keep you up all night.

AND, some of those mushrooms that make you see sh!t.

So much for your theory........
Old 12-04-2006, 09:31 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
NAIOU

Gone to Pot

As for Pot being a gateway drug it sure was for me. It was a gateway to a whole lot of pain and misery for me. If I could justify smoking pot it would just be a matter of time before I would justify using other drugs. I think that some people might not be addicts. I think that they might just have a drug problem (potential addicts). When they cross that line into addiction they will know and so will everyone else. For me in the end I did not know if I was going to get F--ked up, locked up or covered up. I dreamed of finding a magic formula that would solve my ultimate problem--myself. When I did seek help, I was really looking for the absence of pain. The fact was I could not successfully use any mind-altering or mood-changing substance, including pot and alcohol and yes alcohol is a drug. Do you know what you get if you take the water out of alcohol? Ethel alcohol, a form of ether (a drug). That is why alcohol will usually knock you out before you can kill yourself with it. I hope your son will find his way. The hope is that no addict will die without hearing the message of recovery. Love and Respect p.s. I was on the research and development team for way to long.
Old 12-05-2006, 06:03 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I just want to thank all of you for your honesty, openness and willingness to share your experience, strength and hope!

There aren't too many places out there in the Real World where a loving and concerned parent can throw out a question and get such a variety of answers... especially on such an emotional and intimate topic. We are each at a different place in our recovery, A's and Anons alike, yet we reach out to one another in love, mostly without judgment, just to share what we know and hope for what we have yet to learn.

Thanks to every single one of you who responded... and thanks again, Jon, for giving us this wonderful recovery spot we call SR.

Hugs
Cat
Old 12-06-2006, 02:41 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
job

for example: http://www.scienceblog.com/cms/study...rug-12116.html

i think the way you guys are discussing the issue is very personal and valid to yourselves, but with the causal connections between steps mixed up or backwards. "i tried pot and then i tried heroin" is nowhere near "i tried heroin because i tried pot."

on the one hand, i think the issue is important because marijuana is scheduled for no good reason. some studies i've read argue that the interpretation of pot as a 'gateway drug' hinges on its criminalization, which is what i was getting at by pointing at the fact that her son may be associating with people who sell and do other drugs.

on the other hand, i'm not really attached enough to the topic to like...argue about it, and that's not really what this place is for anyway. i don't really care for pot, but i don't think its dangerous enough for other people not to smoke it.

as a last word on this, cause i don't want to stir up emotions, if i thought any notion of marijuana as a gateway drug were plausible, i'd view it in the same terms of the availability of alcohol to non-alcoholics. i can't drink a beer without drinking ten, does that mean nobody should be allowed to drink? some people can't smoke marijuana without trying harder drugs, does that mean that other people shouldn't be allowed to smoke? i don't think so. i believe that any opposing argument would have to turn on proving either that most people who smoke pot try harder drugs, or, that this is not the case, but the interests of those who are capable of responsible pot smoking should yield to the interests of those who are not.

and like i said, i loose my F-ing mind every time I get high. I stay away from that stuff.

-j
Old 12-06-2006, 04:32 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Problem......

I have 2 sons addicted to pot. I have talked to them and pointed out how their personalities have changed not to mention their motivation. I did that and now for my own sake I have let it be their problem and not mine. For me I figure I said enough at the time, they live on their own and make their own money, so they make their own decisions too. Last week they called me to tell me that they were both going on 2 weeks off pot. I placed a problem that could of ripped my heart out with worry and frustration. I put my problems in my HP care. This whole letting go thing took work, they graduated in 2003, went north, failed in college, got jobs and made a bunch of poor choices. For 2 years I have repeated the process of letting it go and have even cried about my powerlessness. The point is they did all those things without me , so no need for me to jump back in now, I've let go and let God. I hope you get connected with a group that will talk with you so you can find a solution also.