Notices

Help with an adult child that is abusive to family

Old 12-02-2006, 03:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Help with an adult child that is abusive to family

Hello all.

I would like to introduce myself. I'm not an alcoholic or drug abuser. I am searching for help and answers for an adult 'drug / alcohol user' that is VERY abusive to a family that I am very close to and who is enabling him to do this.

I cannot find a sight that help people / families like myself, as 100% of the sites (when you type in 'abusive adult children to their parents' always brings up 'children of abusive parent'... Which is amazing to me..

So this is the site that I thought would help me with this specific problem.

It is very nice to meet you all and I pray that you are all doing very well.

There are always two sides to a story and with this, maybe, just maybe it will help me understand and cope with this situation.

Resolved....
Old 12-02-2006, 04:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome,

Please check out our Friends and Families forums on this board.

You'll find lots of support there.
Old 12-02-2006, 08:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Smile

Like Anna said, here the forum would be the Friends and Family forum....sometimes serch engines are real picky (remove the word 'abuse' from your searcher)....you might try searching under just family friends of alcoholics/addicts; unfortunately, the abuse isn't a separate issue (or it may be), but usually just part 'n parcel with alcoholism and addiction.... )o:

What might also help you would be Alanon (for family 'n friends of alcoholics) and/or Narconon (for family 'n friends of addicts)....I hope this helps you some....

and remember.....if you talk with the family --- not the alcoholic/addict/abuser, but the rest of the family --- try not to confront, but just bring up some suggestions.....again, unfortunately you may not be able to change these folks, but you may give them some ideas for the future when they need them (your suggestions will be there, in the back of their minds......somewhere).

I don't know what the laws in your state are, but in some states, if you actually see the abuse, you can call the police....the abused spouse doesn't have to make the complaint....nor can they not follow through and thus stop the whole process.....it's the State against the abuser....(and about time for that....imnsho....!!! (o: )

Hope this helps ---- (o:

NoelleR
DOS: 6/23/86