What have you done for YOU lately?

Old 11-30-2006, 10:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What have you done for YOU lately?

Being caretakers of others, we sometimes forget to take care of ourselves. We forget to be kind to ourselves, think of ourselves, and do nice things for ourselves. So what have you done for YOU lately?

In the last 2 weeks,

I have gone and cut a new hair cut (which I love!!!!!!)

I also had some red highlights put in my hair (which is cool). Funny really cuz I have natural blonde highlights so basically the red took the place of the blonde and you can't really tell - it just looks like my hair is darker! But it's something new and something fun!

I bought a CD that I've been patiently waiting to hit the stands! I'd been counting down the days until the new release was put out! LOL

I took full advantage of the beautiful weather we had and got the exterior trim of the house painted! Made me feel great to get this done!

And I've been working really hard on my bedroom. This was a room that I had started on quite awhile ago (and ran into major problems when I pulled the old wallpaper off). I stalled on the project - but have hit it full speed this week! I am almost done!!!! And I'm so excited!!!!
Old 12-01-2006, 02:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

This is great time of year to get a new haircut or pamper yourself a bit with a massage or a manicure. Sometimes what is good for us is good for others. At work, each dept adopts a family for the holidays. I have been shopping for our family. The list presented with ideas was so humble. Being connected to alcoholics we get robbed of the joy of helping and sharing. We tolerate and sometimes become bitter. Our adopt a family is a family of three. Mom, a four year old girl who loves Dora. and a 4 mo. baby boy. Mom has recently left alcoholic dad and needs some help. The little girl said that if she could have anything in the whole wide world, she would like a bike with training wheels. Mom asked for a warm hoodie and food would be nice. The baby needs a snowsuit and a walker. In a million years, I couldn not tell you the total joy I am having shopping for this family. We can help others, especially those praying parents of alcoholics. I made a big wreath to raffle and we will be able to give mom cash too. The best thing I could do for myself this week is to imagine that little girls face when she sees the jazzy snazzy shiney new bike under her tree. Her mom is home sweating it right now but her prayers have been answered already.
Old 12-01-2006, 07:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
let it grow!

very nice, mallowcup. i donate several fleece pullovers every year to our ymca shelter, along with my dad's favorite cookies. i have done this the last three years, in honor of my father - since his passing. he loved his fleeces.

oh! and i got my hair cut and colored!
Old 12-01-2006, 07:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Got a massage yesterday; built a little gazebo thing for the backyard and got James Taylor's Christmas CD (though I never thought I'd live to see that day!) I also love volunteering - it's one of the nicest things I do for me.
Old 12-01-2006, 09:22 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Lot's of things! Must be something in the air about the hair....had my first profession coloring and highlights,and a new "do"! I love it!
Old 12-01-2006, 09:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hmmm, lots of things. I absolutely love taking care of me... it's my favorite pasttime! I got myself a much needed jogging stroller so the babe and I enjoy nice long walks/runs with the dog. I go out almost daily for a nice break from the house/chores/phone.... it helps that she falls asleep within minutes :-) I went out last weekend with my girlfriends (first time since before I got pregnant, yikers!) and ended up staying out really late. It felt so good to be out laughing my arse off I just couldn't leave to go home :-)

It's amazing how happy I can make myself... better than anyone I know... er, wait... better than anyone, except my little baby girl :-)
Old 12-01-2006, 10:53 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Wow.... It must be in the air, I was just thinking this morning that I have to go get my hair done.... so now I will.

First off I have quit smoking for me..... Sunday will be one month.

I spent last weekend being spoiled by a very special person to me... enjoyed time away from home and met new friends. Wednesday he sent me flowers...

This weekend Im turning the second bedroom into a workout room and re-doing the Den so I have a work table in there. I have made 2 baby blankets and I plan to get material to start another one (keeps my hands busy)
Old 12-01-2006, 02:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
been searching for the dream

when I feel really blah which is daily I try to get off my arse and get on the treadmill..all that running/walking keeps me sane. I hope it helps get me thin too. Then I can go out and shop for pretty clothes. I try to get manicures, sometimes peds. Lately got hair dyed. Red yep burgundy i look like a fine wine or whine I am not sure LOL...it mixed itself on my head and came out black and burgundy I guess better than black and blue. I did dye my hair blue black once and had to wash it out with Tide detergent . I try to change my haircolor every season. It's fun. I only have been doing this for the past year. The tide thing I was 16. I loved Joan Jett. hahahahaha. Love you guys happy friday.
Old 12-01-2006, 04:02 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I also had my hair cut and colored. Color is great, but the stylist I liked is gone and new one didn't do a very good cut. Figured I would wait until right before Christmas as the last time I had a touch up on a bad hair cut I ended up with a Joe Dirt style - hated it so bad (I actually cried0 I went to Jean Juarez but they had to cut it short to fix it.

Massage hmmmmm great idea - maybe I will do that tomorrow after my alanon meeting.

I lost weight do to the stress I have been under so a lot of my pants don't fit now so maybe I will go shopping and buy myself something new too. Something really cute that will make me feel good.

Thanks for the post Standing - I haven't really done much for myself lately but your post made me think about it and now I have a plan for the weekend.
Old 12-02-2006, 01:41 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Wow! Seems the whole "hair thing" really is in the air! LOL

Today I went and bought the paints I've been wanting to do my bedroom. I even splurged and bought a few sponge-roller types of kits too.
(This was the cheapiest, easiest, and less time-consuming way I can think of to fix the blemishes).
So.........I'm going to be painting my room tonight!

And in the back of my mind, I can still recall AH telling me I couldn't paint the paneling (he liked it) and that there was nothing wrong with the wallpaper.
Yea - well.........it's MY house now and I'm doing it - cuz I can and cuz I want too! It's all about me!
Old 12-02-2006, 02:18 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I soaked in the bathtub with candles and music playing. I haven't made the time for this in the last 3 years!!! I was so busy dealing with the chaos in my life I forgot the joy that I find in just soaking away my worries!

And of course... I also got my hair cut and had highlights put in!

Have a great rest of the weekend!
Old 12-02-2006, 03:00 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
cmc

No kidding folks.... I got my hair restyled and colored yesterday too. I even got a bonus 'how to' idea from my stylist on how to put it 'up' in a different way. I spent an entire day just being out and about, looking in a Christmas store and got a new tree topper that we love for only $10!
I bought a few gifts and spent the rest of the day... trying on clothes in new sizes as I am seeing results of my exercise program.
Another 'for me' thing was to have a great visitation time with my AS in jail. There was such positive recovery going on with him and me too as we shared about working things out in our lives. He was giving me some good advice! lol Imagine that!
Tonight for the first time in about 3 years, my other 2 adult kids will decorate our tree with us. It was a family tradition from when they were small to have the 'kids' put all the ornaments on from where they could reach.
It's too bad we can't all see how great our hair looks!!! I hope you all have great rest of the weekend too. Be good to yourselves.
hugs,
cmc