Notices

How do I help?

Old 11-30-2006, 11:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How do I help?

Hello,
I've never posted anything on any forum before. I'm a therapist working with adolescents and their families. I don't do drug & alcohol treatment and don't know that much about recovery and I find myself often working with parents or family members who are in recovery. This looked like a place I might get some good input from people who know. On my mind right now is a single mom with 5 kids in recovery from Meth addiction. What do I need to know to be helpful?
Old 11-30-2006, 11:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Post Drug/Alcohol info

Hey There g_rex ----

Instead of looking for info from folks here, I would suggest calling your local AA/NA Intergroup.....I believe you are close to Roseburg, Or; and their AA Intergrioup phone number is (or may still be.... (o: ): 541-673-7552 -- if this is not the current, you can check your local phone book, under alcoholism.... These folks should be good at pointing you in the right direction....ie: books and pamphlets....or suggesting other counsellors in your area who specialize in alcohol and drug problems and recovery ----

I hope this helps a bit ------ (o:

NoelleR
DOS: 6/23/86
Old 11-30-2006, 02:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

I think Noelle's suggestion has merit; and I commend you, g rex, for wanting to "educate" yourself, in order to be able to counsel your clients.

However, it troubles me that in this 21st Century, when drug/alcohol abuse is of epidemic proportions, there would be a lack of knowledge on the part of any professional. I can appreciate that there may be areas of specialization...heaven knows the medical profession has become so diverse and specialized, it borders on the ridiculous (bring back the good old home visiting g.p.)...but, I should think there would be ways to keep abreast of the psychological needs of the general public.

I'm just a lay person in recovery...and, I'll just bet I have a more extensive knowledge of alcoholism/addiction than way too many psycho-therapists and physicians. Hey! Maybe I've missed my calling...just kidding.
Old 12-01-2006, 08:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you for the advice on what might be a better place for someone in my position to get information. I'm sure that there is so much to learn that I problably would need to get extensive training and experience before I was competent. I'm not 100% ignorant, but I just wish I had more expertise when I'm in the role of family therapist for people who are dealing with recovery issues.
As far as professionals being well-educated, I'm sure there are lay people who know more about certain issues than some of their clients. What I try to do is offer what I have learned, hoping that I will be able to engage with people not primarily as the expert with all the answers, but as a collaborator with them in the processes they are in.
Old 12-01-2006, 09:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I agree with the above suggestion that, as a professional, you should be looking elsewhere for information. Of course, this is a public message board, but its purpose is to help addicts and their families to recover.

I would suggest books, professional courses and, as mentioned AA/NA who could supply you with information and literature.
Old 12-01-2006, 05:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Midas

Welcome, g_rex. Family therapy is a very complex arena. Unfortunately, we cannot provide specific input to assist you with your individual cases. However, you're welcome to browse the forums for insight.

From a brief glance through google, there are hundreds of therapy sites--some are sanctioned and professionally licensed. Others are much like Sober Recovery. We provide help and support to many individuals on a peer-to-peer level.

In my search, I found one site which may prove to be a good resource for you to start with;
http://counsellingresource.com/index.shtml

Even Amazon.com has a plethora of books that cover drug therapy and recovery. Here's a quick link to get you started;
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...=Google+Search

Hope this helps!

Old 12-02-2006, 10:26 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Hope3

Red face Learning and understanding helps.

Dear g rex, I agree, with the other responses as far as finding information of professional value, however because I think if you hear what all of us are going through, (try to walk in anothers shoes) you might be able to help the families and adolesence that you work with, however thats just a start, the other advice given I agree with and feel will give you more of a professional insight. I work with special education students and can tell you alot of them come from families of co-dependence of one sort or another. Good luck

Last edited by hope3; 12-02-2006 at 10:30 AM. Reason: not worded right