Notices

Starting treatment on Monday...

Old 11-22-2006, 11:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Starting treatment on Monday...

Hello! I am starting an outpatient treatment program on Monday. Any thoughts on how to prepare or what to expect??
Old 11-22-2006, 11:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Rinnie's Grandpa

Originally Posted by Cguse
Hello! I am starting an outpatient treatment program on Monday. Any thoughts on how to prepare or what to expect??
No personal experience, but I would just go into it with a sober and open mind...

Stay strong and positive...

Best of luck...

One day at a time.

Steve

Old 11-22-2006, 11:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I agree with the suggestion of going sober. When you get back, we'll be here waiting to hear the good news.
Old 11-22-2006, 11:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am in outpatient treatment and it is quite an experience. My advice would be to open up and let the others in there help you. Learn all you can and realize that it won't be so overwhelming soon. Initially it was a lot of info and certainly made me look at things I had chosen not to in the past but it truly is the best thing I could have done for myself. Good luck!
Old 11-22-2006, 11:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My two cents' worth. I agree with the others. Go into treatment with an open mind. You are bound to learn things about yourself that you never knew. It will be a real growth experience. While I've never been a part of outpatient treatment, I went to a rehab facility back in 1995. It was kinda weird and uncomfortable at first, but it got better and ended up being incredibly helpful. My biggest worry (and maybe yours) was what people would think of me and the judgments they would make as I shared the details of my addiction. I found my fear to be pretty much unfounded. Everyone at the facility was amazingly supportive. They really listened to what I was saying and offered helpful advise.
The fact that you are going to treatment is a sign that you realize you have a problem and have a desire to change. It is an incredibly positive step! Congratulations!!

Peggy
Old 11-22-2006, 12:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am in agreement with psd... I didn't do treatment, I ended up in a detox clinic. Initially I was quite reluctant, after the fact as I began to detox and clean out my system I didn't care. I was so happy to be sober and I actually found there were a lot of people with similar issues as I had.

Levi
Old 11-23-2006, 08:06 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Originally Posted by Cguse
If yours is like mine, a group setting... prepare to listen to a lot of other people. I walked in with a completely open, if not empty mind. The only real focus on me was when the therapist said "we have a few new people here tonight" and we introduced ourselves & why we were there. It wasn't as scary as I thought it would be after all. My next meeting isn't until Monday and I'm actually looking foward to going!
Old 11-24-2006, 07:05 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

pay attention and participate. Dont sit in the back and slouch down or sleep. Follow that advice, and Monday will be the first day of the rest of a wonderful new life.
Old 11-24-2006, 03:50 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Great advice here particularly;

Originally Posted by earlybird
Follow that advice, and Monday will be the first day of the rest of a wonderful new life.
That is sooooooo true eb, its the life I live now, instead of fear and anger, broke , lonely that gnawing emptiness, a member of the walking dead. death.

Look forward to a life of soberiety, clarity, friends, vibrancy, love and of course life on lifes terms and then just whe I thought it could not get any better I realised my HP was ith me and I opened up again.

Good fortune Cguse, I will be thinking of you.

Love Kevin