Notices

Was I that annoying????????

Old 11-21-2006, 04:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Was I that annoying????????

Hello! Just wondering if anyone else looks at drunk people now and wonders if they too acted that way??? Also, what is the best way to deal with being around drinkers? I assume the first few times are hard no matter what, but is there anything that helps keep the edge off?

It is amazing at what just a few days of sobriety can do to a person. All of a sudden I am feeling good and laughing.

The weathers getting colder in the North Country...
Old 11-21-2006, 04:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yeah, a little perspective is kind of scary isn't it!

I had to wait awhile before I was comfortable being around people who were drinking. I tried it early on and it was a horrible evening for me. I was resentful and angry. It really does get much easier as time goes on.
Old 11-21-2006, 08:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well put Anna, I'd have to agree with all that you've said. I've also found ensuring I have a plan on how to deal with the drinking around me is important.

I recently slipped and ended up thinking I could have just one... well that led to another and another and a week of misery... fortunately I saw where it was heading by day three and stopped... suffered through four days of feeling awful and I am back on track.

My mistake, thinking I could be normal and ok so long as I only drank with others and socially... WRONG. I cannot drink period.

Peace, Levi
Old 11-21-2006, 08:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

When I was a drinker
so were all my friends.

Now that I am sober
so are all my friends.

That is what works best for me.
Old 11-21-2006, 11:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I wonder the same thing. I think I would hate to see me drunk. It was probably a really ugly sight.
Old 11-22-2006, 02:44 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Employment Exertion

I can pick my friends but not my family. The only drunks I know now is very few in the family. Maybe thats why I live 3000 miles from them.
Old 11-22-2006, 04:10 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

ouch, that smarts...

xxoo, zip
Old 11-22-2006, 04:12 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

In my earlier pre-alcoholic years I couldn't stand to be around someone who was drunk and that has come back now that I am sober. I can handle someone who is slightly buzzed but the second they are drunk I am looking to get away from them. I never liked loss of control of myself and don't like to watch others out of control either.

There have been times in my period of sobriety where I have had to be around people who were drinking and it is a true test of patience and tolerance. I generally will not stay long and I'm generally telling myself "there but for the grace of God go I". If I am going into a social situation where there is drinking I form a whole escape plan prior to getting there. This includes bringing another sober alcoholic with me whenever possible or hanging out with friends who don't drink much at all. Making sure at least one person knows I am in recovery (just gives me an extra layer of accountability). I speak to my sponsor or another person in the program before going and when I leave as well as during the function if it gets too intense. I pray and make sure that I am spiritually fit before going into a situation like that. If I'm not spiritually fit then I don't go. I make sure I have my own transportation so that when I've had enough I can leave. I call these things my escape hatches and they have served me well so far. I hope they will help others who find themselves in these situations as well.

I have had more fun in sobriety than I ever did drinking and some of that fun has been from singing kareoke in a bar with a whole group of AA's including my fiance. We have a blast and the waitresses know that we don't drink. I observe those who are drinking and watch how they act and talk when they try to sing sober and then later in the night they are singing drunk. At times it is amusing but at other times it is sad to me and I'm always left feeling grateful that I don't have to live that way anymore if I don't choose to. I remember what a gift I have been given in sobriety.

Big hugs,
Kellye
Old 11-22-2006, 10:28 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Kellye D,

That is exactly what I am doing tonight. Going to sing Karoake. A friend of mine (a true friend) is going to stay sober with me so we can bring down the house!!
Old 11-22-2006, 10:34 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Rinnie's Grandpa

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Cguse
Kellye D,

That is exactly what I am doing tonight. Going to sing Karoake. A friend of mine (a true friend) is going to stay sober with me so we can bring down the house!!
Afternoon Crystal...

Now, that is a true friend!!!

Knock em dead...

One day at a time.

Steve

Old 11-22-2006, 01:04 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I hope you have a blast tonight! We are doing something a little bit different tonight. Rather than going to sing in a bar my fiance and I are bringing kareoke to our home group. We stay open 24 hours for Thanksgiving and hang out, play poker, laugh, talk and of course eat and tonight we're going to sing as well! It may very well be painful on the ears but we'll still have a blast!

Be careful tonight and knock em dead!!!!! I'm glad you have a friend going with you!

Hugs,
Kellye
Old 11-23-2006, 12:19 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

I had a real friend. One day, early in the morn before my DOC had kicked in, she showed me a video tape she had taken of a family function the day before and just looking at myself... that is when I first realized I wanted to get clean. To say I looked like an idiot would be understatement of the year.
Old 11-23-2006, 01:01 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Unemployable?
I can pick my friends but not my family. The only drunks I know now is very few in the family. Maybe thats why I live 3000 miles from them.
Amen.

Why do I love the Coast Guard?

They give me an excuse to get away from disfunction try and call themselves my family. I cannot spend another holiday running from my emotions and just for today..I don't have to.
Old 11-23-2006, 07:19 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Seeing other drunks of course is a great eye opener. It isn't pretty, and I know I was much worse. I know from story's I hear. I know the truth.

Even now when i ride the bus, I can smell alcohol on people in the morining. I used to think if I took enough breath mints no one would know. I wonder if these alcoholics I smell think the same thing.

I used to think I was clever, more attractive. What do they look liekm to you?

No, they are not fun to be around.